Join the Brainstormers Team!

Are you a game designer, artist or writer? Chances are, we can plug you in somewhere! Find a bad link, error or have a suggestion on how to improve the site or a comment on the Announcements? This is the place to get connected, address issues, build a better site and a better game!

Join the Brainstormers Team!

Unread postby NexusX » Fri May 08, 2009 2:13 pm

I have set up a special section in the forum that is not open to the public, where contributors can discuss game mechanics for the Comothea RPG, brainstorm, update each other on personal design project, the game’s progress, overcome hurdles, plan, etc.

You are eligible to join the Brainstormers if you have signed an NDA. Being a brainstormer doesn’t mean anything more than you want it to – if you want to participate in design aspects of the game – even on a case by case basis (like editing, working on a small segment of the game design or flesh out an area of the campaign setting not yet explored fully), that’s great too. You can be as involved as you want to be. Once you sign an NDA (and many of you have done so already), joining the brainstormers is as easy as Pm’ing me your intentions and I’ll get you a password. Thanks!
NexusX
Moderator/Infinitar

Note:: Moderator

Re: Join the Brainstormers Team!

Unread postby NexusX » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:38 am

(Skip this first paragraph if you’ve read it before – I posted the paragraph elsewhere. The rest is new.)
One thing I’ve noticed over the years is a number of people with decent skills in making spells or feats, sometimes magic items or creatures, or at least coming up with stats for creatures and that’s all game design. They don’t consider themselves game designers – they’re just doing some homebrew, and while there’s a big difference between making a homebrew campaign and a campaign setting or game for publication, many of the same skills are needed! I am in the process of converting the campaign setting from homebrew into potential product, and that will require readdressing certain concepts and fleshing out areas that were only in my mind before, or scribbled in my notes, without concern for eloquence, clarity, etc. I am also in the middle of a major redesign (we’ve never played with so few rules before. Cosmothea is on its 4th Edition of the rules, and while I believe we’re making solid progress and improvements, there’s more holes than ever during this lengthy upgrade, my most ambitious yet.

NEW:
Furthermore, while Cosmothea has now been around for 30 years, a single game designer can never fully flesh out a setting (unless it’s their full time job, and even then, it would take a very long time) – especially when Cosmothea is much larger than fantasy rpg settings and larger than many science fiction settings as it has not only numerous planets, but also dimensions to boot, so there’s plenty of room for talented people who have worked on their own homebrew designs in the past.

Of course, one needs a passion for such work to make it truly great, and time to do it! I am also, as Pippa mentioned, open to new ideas, crits and comments, just bear in mind that we’re in the middle of a big revision and so if there’s a glaring hole, I don’t mind hearing about it, but chances are I already know it’s there. Since I’m not just redesigning the game and expanding the setting, but also trying to provide everyone with enough info to play your characters at your current level, I’m doing some temporary fixes and some patches that I wouldn’t otherwise normally do, if it were only a game design, so I know the game has more holes than Swiss cheese, but I’m only one person, which is why I’m seeking out others to join the staff!

What I need help with, is patching up the holes! Someone agreeing to work on a particular aspect of the game, using the existing game mechanics in most cases, is what’s needed most. As I get rules more or less in a “final” state, I need number crunchers – people to check to see what’s balanced and what’s not. For example, comparing 4 10th level characters abilities in social environments, in combat environments, comparing spells of equal level, to see if there is a large disparity between their power and usefulness. We’re not ready to do those kinds of tests yet, but we’ll need them eventually.

The game needs work in a number of areas, but I’m convinced it has much potential. If I wasn’t, I’d be off doing something else. After all, I’ve designed a little over 2 dozen board games, have written a 450 page manuscript and half of another, write and produce plays and skits, etc., so I have lots of things I could be working on. Sure, Cosmothea has rough edges, but I’m convinced it’s worth pursuing, despite the fact that working on it is time consuming. Fortunately, it’s a lot of fun to do!

The game and company have other needs too, like editors, creative writers, someone to watch for consistency in terms, events, logic, etc. We also need another artist (Pippa’s busy enough already – at least she will be once I finish getting her some info on the pteryx race, and I don’t have much time, though I’ll handle maps and a bit of art here and there).

Anyone that makes a contribution will receive proper credit in the game. Anyone that is committed to making significant contributions may negotiate a contract regarding compensation.

As for myself, I’m very determined, but easy to get along with. I’m not egotistical and know that I’m usually not the smartest person in the room (especially when my wife’s around), but I do have a measure of wisdom, a clear vision for the game, creativity, experience in design and a background that also includes art and writing. I’m a bit too stubborn to give up (but not to change my mind after a bit of persuasive dialoguing or number crunching) and so working on Cosmothea should prove fun and rewarding for the right people!

Everyone is talented at something, connecting with the right people is one of my goals. People often underestimate their abilities. If you are at all interested in helping with this project or another, let me know, and we can talk about your interests, and see where you might fit in!
NexusX
Moderator/Infinitar

Note:: Moderator

Re: Join the Brainstormers Team!

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:10 pm

Hi all,

Just thought I'd check since there's 42 visitors on our site this hour - anyone want to brainstorm on Cosmothea 5.0? The latest edition of the game is looking really solid so far. Don't know a lot about Cosmothea yet? Well, now's the perfect time to find out. We are just starting a new science fantasy PbP and it's going to be a lot of fun. We have an archeologist, a mercenary and an engineer so far, and are just getting ready to head off on a big adventure. Anyone want to give it a shot? Let me know. Thanks!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Note:: Lord of Toonaria, Guardian of the Cosmoverse

Return to QT Business Discussion