D&D 5/Next/What's next?

Hang out here to discuss QT Games' projects, wish lists, movies, art, comics, fiction and games. Write your game reviews, movie reviews, brainstorm alternate movie storylines and more!

D&D 5/Next/What's next?

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:44 am

What are your thoughts on the latest version of D&D? When is D&D 6 coming out? ;)

I'm sure it has some good and some bad to it, just like every other version (or every other game for that matter). This is a really minor point, and not the only thing I have to say about the latest incarnation, but it's on my mind, so ... I can't say I care for the cover of the Player's Handbook. Not that it's not pretty and all that - it looks very nice, but the focus is clearly NOT on the players, which seems a tad silly. They should have had a cool shot showing several player characters with the focus on them taking down a monster, not looking like they were about to get their butts kicked with the monster the focus.

While I know they felt pressure to get that game on the market and to please a fan base that was quickly vanishing (and they are even in competition with fans of older versions of D&D), so I feel for them and also am SO happy I'm not being pressured like that. I can take my time and put out a great game without so many external pressures and corporate big wigs looking over my shoulder with silent threats.

Historically, it has always been the smaller companies that are capable of the most dynamic changes in an industry. Little guys like QT Games who stand to make the most significant impact on the industry. But I'm glad D&D is still around. It helps bolster the industry and keep it going (though the prices of their books just keep getting higher, which I think is a mistake). Sadly, just as the smaller companies are ideally positioned to make killer changes in the way games are played, they also have the biggest struggles (finances, etc.)

Anyway, if you've played the latest version of D&D or even if you've just read the rulebook, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Note:: Lord of Toonaria, Guardian of the Cosmoverse

Return to Discussion