Mad Max

Hang out here to discuss QT Games' projects, wish lists, movies, art, comics, fiction and games. Write your game reviews, movie reviews, brainstorm alternate movie storylines and more!

Mad Max

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:12 pm

I've always been a huge fan of post-apocalyptic stories and have a few such environments in the Cosmoverse. I finally managed to see the latest Mad Max movie thanks to Redbox. Tons of fun and overall loved it!

it was more cartoony than previous iterations—very comic bookish and even included one segment that was pretty surreal and otherworldly. Not sure how I feel about that, but it worked in the movie. Everything was crazy over the top (kind of like it was in Furious 7—man was Furious 7 way, way over the top, though I enjoyed it too).

The original Mad Max movie was quite different than those that followed. It was prior to the complete collapse of society. I far preferred The Road Warrior. Many don't care for the third one, and it was definitely out there, but I still enjoyed it somewhat. Mad Max: Fury Road was quite different yet again.

It had the same bad guy actor from the original (and some folks online are saying they think it was the same character too, just evolved somewhat over time—no idea if that is the case, I suppose it's possible).

I thought the new Max was interesting, though he obviously didn't have remotely as much charisma as the original. And they wrote him as very quiet and thinking, as if he was always sad, in his head, not happy about how things were going. Strangely, Max's part in the movie really wasn't all that big. I mean, he did some important things to be sure, but Furiosa, the female lead, was the main heavy hitter. Her role was huge and I loved it. Just would have liked to see a bit more from Max himself, since it was his movie. Overall a fun ride and recommended. (Note guys will tend to like it much more than gals as it is very action-heavy and testosterone filled.)
Bob Whitely
Admin

Note:: Lord of Toonaria, Guardian of the Cosmoverse

Re: Mad Max

Unread postby Flowswithdrek » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:23 am

I seen the movie a few weeks ago on the plane home. Lets face it, the small screen really wasn't the thing to watch a movie like that on, but hey, it was free!

I agree that Max didn't really step up to the plate and be, well, Mad enough or Max enough... Maybe he's just coming out of himself and if there is a sequel, prove himself to be as badass as in the original movies.. Honestly if Charlize Theron's character was called Maxine, she would have nailed the Mad Max character... overall I enjoyed it and the movie itself was a good show.
Flowswithdrek
Gold Adept

Re: Mad Max

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:31 pm

You know, I was thinking pretty much the same thing! And a girl can be called Max, actually, short for Maxine, but I was looking for the Mad Max I knew and loved. Charlize was what I wanted Max to be—like in the older movies. It seems very odd to me that they chose to have Max take a back seat. I was pleasantly surprised that after having so many scantily clad ladies in the movie, they kept it pretty clean and it made sense.

No doubt the movie was a ton of fun despite its faults!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Note:: Lord of Toonaria, Guardian of the Cosmoverse

Return to Discussion