Who is your all-time favorite Superhero?

Hang out here to discuss QT Games' projects, wish lists, movies, art, comics, fiction and games. Write your game reviews, movie reviews, brainstorm alternate movie storylines and more!

Who is your all-time favorite Superhero?

Unread postby NexusX » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:22 am

Whether it's a DC character, Marvel, Crossgen or some other comic company, movie or creation of your own, what's your favorite superhero of all time and why?

If you've got stats for the character, all the more interesting!
:D
NexusX
Moderator/Infinitar

Note:: Moderator

Re: Who is your all-time favorite Superhero?

Unread postby NexusX » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:31 pm

Fine, I'll go first! Mine is the Silver Surfer!
He was created by Jack Kirby, an early inspiration of mine. While Jack's art isn't my favorite, his style, exceptional layouts and storytelling ability was legendary. He was one of the fastest and most respected artists in the industry during most of his professional career.

Stan Lee took Jack's vision for the silver surfer and improved it, IMO. The two created a number of great stories with the Silver Surfer, including some of my all-time favorite comics.

The Silver Surfer first appeared in the Fantastic Four, my favorite comic book growing up. He sacrificed his life to save his planet, has cool powers, looks cool and has an interesting background. He has been in stories that include other popular characters from Marvel that I really like, including Galactus and the Watcher, Thanos, the Hulk, Warlock, and so many others. He has also fought Dr. Doom and Mephisto. Heck, he even fought Dracula a couple of times (though battles with dracula don't excite me).

Some random bits ...
• In one of the coolest, most popular hulk story lines in the history of the hulk, the Silver Surfer and Hulk find themselves on a distant world, weakened and prisoners of the Red King, and are forced to fight each other in the arena. Comics with that storyline were flying off the shelves and were difficult to find. Some were snatching up extra copies to sell on Ebay at double the price or more, only days after release on the market.

• Surfer was once forced to fight his friend, Green Lantern, in a cross-over Marvel/DC crossover.

• One of the artists who began drawing the Silver Surfer insisted on putting a fin on the bottom and that ran for many issues, though I didn't like it at all. The Surfboard was a cosmic object and had no need of such mundane apparatus. I was so pleased when they removed it later. Comics sometimes suffer from new artists and new writers messing with the status quo. Sometimes such fussing improves things, but just as often, I've noticed it hurts a book.

• Galactus secretly altered the Silver Surfer's mind while the Surfer was a herald, suppressing his memories and emotions so that he would not hesitate to help Galactus destroy worlds. This was the opposite of the Surfer's hope and desires. His plan was to lead Galactus to uninhabited, but flora rich worlds after sacrificing his life to save billions.

• Once, the Silver Surfer had a romantic relationship with the Thing's old girlfriend, blind sculptress Alicia Masters, and became good friends to the fantastic Four.
SilverSurfer07.jpg
SilverSurfer07.jpg (233.12 KiB) Viewed 5457 times

Bummer, it cut it off. I was experimenting with the upload and attachment options. Usually I just put a link on my site. I don't have time to do it the better way right now, but there are plenty of great pics on Google.
NexusX
Moderator/Infinitar

Note:: Moderator

Unread postby anderson » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:32 am

I like lot of different different, Can't describe just one. :lol: :lol:
anderson

Unread postby Ragnarok » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:35 am

Hi all. You're right, anderson, It's hard to pick. DC and Marvel are quite different universes, so I think it's fair to answer the question with your favorite, by comic company. Hope this is OK!

Favorite DC Hero: Batman
Favorite Marvel Hero: Spiderman
Ragnarok

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:05 pm

I really like Black Panther a lot, though I must confess I have kind of lost track of all the published superheroes. It's been a few years since I've been able to afford buying any. My earliest comics were 10 and 12 cents each, though when I started collecting seriously, they were up to 20 cents each. 5 comics for a dollar, compared to today's 5 for like $15-20 or so.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Note:: Lord of Toonaria, Guardian of the Cosmoverse

Unread postby Pippa » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:54 am

Hey everyone, y'all should google 'the Hawkeye Initiative'.
I'm burstin' my sides here.
...Effectively putting the 'cutie' in 'QT-Games'...!
Pippa
Eternal! Forum Guide! Caption Contest Winner!

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:39 pm

So, what I need to know is that is Hawkeye your favorite superhero because he is poking fun at how artists tend to portray women in comics, because he doesn't mind being drawn in compromising poses, or because you feel sorry for him that he had to wear some of those outfits, all of the above, or?
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Pippa » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:50 am

Well I think all the spandex-toting and briefs-over-leggings going on with male superheroes is hardly better than wearing fishnet-stockings.
But in answer to your question, yeah I think he earned a place in my absolute top three for pointing something out which has been a thorn in a lot of people's sides, a most comical manner. I have an opinion on this, but because such a topic might instantly derail this thread, I'm going to spoilerify it.
Click:

Since I'm participating in this thread now, I might as well pick a number one.
Which would be Batman. Because he's got that super-stylish cape, which I've seen put to good use in a lot of very nice and positively gloomy illustrations.
And because I've seen a couple 'medieval-style' batmen (VERY nice), and because I like the new movies so.
Pippa

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:35 am

I figured that's why you were getting into it, Pippa, and I totally agree that comics have gone off the deep end with contorting women and putting them in compromising poses, which isn't doing women any favors. Yes, this is going off-topic, so we need to move it elsewhere if you desire to continue. I'll respond, but then let's not dwell on it further here. You can create another thread if you like. Thanks.
Click:
Batman, huh? Some might not think I'm a fan of Batman because I haven't managed to see the last 2 movies, despite my desire to do so (well, I not only didn't have the money for the last one, but I was also soured on the idea of going to the theater to see it after the shooting), but I am a big Batman fan. He's one of the few DC heroes that I really enjoy. There's a few others, but he's on top.

I'm much more a Marvel fan - grew up with Marvel, after all.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Pippa » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:33 am

Nah I'm not going to create a thread about something we all agree about. Plus I don't want to be the one who has to go 'whaa whaa men are all pigs'.

...Has this been posted here yet?
http://images.yuku.com.s3.amazonaws.com/image/jpeg/66e16d49930962340daa5c67a37bdd0c6087cd52.jpg
(Image too wide for forum. Sorry)
Pippa

Next

Return to Discussion