RPG's More to Love/More to Hate/Industry Review

Hang out here to discuss QT Games' projects, wish lists, movies, art, comics, fiction and games. Write your game reviews, movie reviews, brainstorm alternate movie storylines and more!

RPG's More to Love/More to Hate/Industry Review

Unread postby NexusX » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:42 pm

Don't you just hate how people are always complaining about something? Well sometimes, it can be funny! Check out this thread on D&D 6E!

So what's on your mind? Do you have any love/hate comments about the latest RPG or version of a TV/Cable series or movie sequel that never happened, but you just can't wait to get it off your chest?

Speaking of which, I don't get why they picked Jack Black to play the role of Terminator, in Terminator 7: I'll Be Back, Jack! Yeah, I know, the name thing, but still!

Oh, I did enjoy Terminator 6: The Return of John Conner's Clone. It had a nice twist at the end that totally caught me off guard!
NexusX
Moderator/Infinitar

Note:: Moderator

Re: RPG's More to Love/More to Hate

Unread postby NexusX » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:09 pm

Well, I thought it was very funny at least. Just what you'd have read about D&D 4E early on. And this one even gave examples, albeit fake ones, but that just made it funnier! Ah well, where did everyone go? I guess I am talking to myself these days. There are plenty of opportunities to have fun on this site, but as I've always said, you can only have as much fun as you want to have.
NexusX
Moderator/Infinitar

Unread postby Pippa » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:01 am

Yeah that was a pretty fun read.
But how much of this Jack Black-thing is true? Where did you get that?
...Effectively putting the 'cutie' in 'QT-Games'...!
Pippa
Eternal! Forum Guide! Caption Contest Winner!

Unread postby NexusX » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:42 pm

What do you mean, Pippa. Didn't you see either Terminator 6 or 7? Or did you just miss 7? While I have to admit that Jack Black did a better job in the role than I thought he would, I still would have picked someone else for it. I like him better in his cartoony roles.
NexusX
Moderator/Infinitar

Unread postby Pippa » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:46 am

If it didn't have Jack Nicholson in it, I probably didn't watch it. He's such a sexy man...!
Pippa

Unread postby NexusX » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:08 am

See, now I really can't tell if you're serious or not!
NexusX
Moderator/Infinitar

Unread postby Pippa » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:04 am

Serves you right...!

... Jack Black. Tsssk.
Don't get me wrong, the guy's a rare multi-disciplinar talent - look for him on imdb.com if you don't believe me.
Oh, and:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lK4cX5xGiQ&ob=av2e[/youtube]

Okay, so much for this thread being about Jack Black now all of a sudden. What were we talking about again?
Pippa

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:18 am

Well, supposedly about RPG's, heh. Let's see now...

Today was an interesting day. As a company owner, I do a fair amount of industry research weekly and came across an old column that was put online, but dates way back to Feb 1996 by WotC's Peter Adkison who was quoted as saying, "I have come to the conclusion that if anyone is going to do something great and innovative with RPG's, it'll probably be someone else. I bow from the field ..." and went on to say, "We simply do not seem to be able to do a great job in the RPG business. We have never admitted this before, but we have lost money on every single RPG product we've published." (Dragon #226, page 120). If you don't know who Adkison is, he was the founder of WotC and was the CEO back then. He sold WotC to Hasbro.

WotC dropped the ball with D&D 4E, which has gotten a great deal of flack for their latest version and are scrambling like mad to try and salvage the D&D Brand for future sales. It seems they may be finally listening to their fans, but the task before them (to try and woo disgruntled XD&D'ers who went to Pathfinder for their D&D fix) and try not to lose those that actually liked 4E and older versions. It will be interesting to see what happens and what the future is for D&D. That said, there are still many who love the older versions of D&D, so even if Hasbro got tired of WotC's handling and just dumped D&D, it would still be around as people still own the books.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Note:: Lord of Toonaria, Guardian of the Cosmoverse

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:26 am

While WotC tries desperately to find a way to salvage their losses and get their fans back (Pathfinder outsells D&D) it looks like the RPG industry is struggling on other fronts. This really isn't new news, but nor new to me, but I hadn't said much about it on these forums, so I thought I'd broach the topic here before we discuss Jack Black any further, heh. Personally, I never cared much for D&D 4E, except for a few aspects that I have praised earlier and won't spend time on here) Lest I give them too hard a time, D&D IMO, is good for the game industry, because so far at least, they do a better job than any other company at snagging spotlight that pen and paper RPG's even exist. They draw new gamers in.

But the whole industry has suffered growing pains and has shrunk even while the pile of RPG's is at a staggering height. The thing is, there are only so many gamers to go around. it is for this reason that I get a little annoyed when I see a cheesy game come on the market, something with real low production standards or just bad taste, that gives us all a bad name. We don't want to give people any more reasons than they already have for seeking their fix in console games and computer games. We need to rise above and give them something awesome that they will have a hard time walking away from; something they will want to keep playing, maybe not instead of their console games, but in addition to them.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Re: RPG's More to Love/More to Hate/Industry Chat

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:37 am

Another thing that probably isn't helping things is that the number of brick and mortar game stores is slowly shrinking; has been for quite some time now. Online sales are just too lucrative and with Barnes & Noble and other fancy book stores selling RPG's at better prices to members, you gotta feel for those wonderful FLGS's that are struggling. Even B&N book stores are likely not doing all that hot and Borders has closed their doors as of a year or two ago. In many industries, the local stores are hit by online sales.

I've heard it said several times before that the pen and paper industry is slowly dying. I'm certainly not ready to accept that. I'll concede that it's had its share of hardships and console and computer games have stolen a lot of limelight, but for a variety of factors, times are rough. Children are growing up with a shorter attention span, as evidenced by the snapshot picture/scene changes in commercials, TV and movies. The kids are growing up with smart phones and laptops and while I'm not condemning those sorts of things, if they don't see the game on the screen, it's harder for them to get into it. This means we have to work that much harder to get their attention and to keep it. We need to make better games. I'm willing to give that a shot, and I've been committed to online tools, including Character Builder, GM assistant and other tools for many years now (I just lack the manpower and money to pull that off presently).

And I don't look at the use of online tools as some slippery slope toward getting rid of pen and paper games, but as a natural and necessary tool for helping speed up play and make a game more efficient or more compelling for those that want online tools and to cater to a portion of that potential audience.

Oh, I got the game Munchkin awhile back (Steve Jackson Games) and when I went to their site today. I started digging around as it had been awhile since I'd been over there. What I found was that their GURPS RPG seems to have slipped out of the limelight, which is now firmly held by Munchkin products.

There seems to be no strong support for GURPS for whatever reason (well, of course the economy is down), but they don't seem to be actively trying to get new players so much as hold on to what they already have and make money where they can (Munchkin). Not bashing GURPS, just reflecting on the industry. It seems at some point, they switched their focus away from pushing the printed books and more toward electronic publishing, something WotC, after an initial attempt, quickly backed away from many years ago, due to piracy.

As for GURPS, I always found David L. Pulver's GURPS books a TON of fun to read, but couldn't ever bring myself to actually play GURPS itself, for several reasons, though I'd read the rules and owned a bunch of their books.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Next

Return to Discussion