Movies, films, cinema

Hang out here to discuss QT Games' projects, wish lists, movies, art, comics, fiction and games. Write your game reviews, movie reviews, brainstorm alternate movie storylines and more!

Re: Movies, films, cinema

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:30 am

It does get to be a sticky situation, doesn't it, Jason? What the government should be allowed to do regarding science. I think it will always be controversial.

That reminds me, in my Humanus Republic (part of the Cosmothea universe), it is an area of the galaxy in which humans and humanus have joined forces, and is split with regard to technology. The Humans, perhaps bolstered by so hundreds of years of movies in which technology goes bad (Terminator, Matrix, etc.) refuse to allow significant inclusion of A.I. in key areas of the military and other sensitive arenas whereas humanus have grown up with no such taboos and have never had any (or admitted to having any) significant problems with A.I.s and incorporated them into every facet of their civilization. It is their single biggest rift, but they have managed to maintain peace thus far by not merging their militaries and maintaining distinct control over their own planets within the Republic. There are far more Humanus than humans and they are a bit more advanced, and as the humanus claim no history of A.I. corruption, the humans are tolerating the situation for now, in order to maintain a united front against their superior enemies.

Than wrote:Regarding horsemeat, I think the real concern is not the horsemeat, I have no problems eating horse, but if products can be messed with that much there is the worry they could bulk out products with stuff that is cheap but harmful to humans without us knowing. I am glad therefore that it is being big time highlighted and investigated now.

I agree. Part of the problem, however, is that Burger King boasted they were using a different kind of meat that is more accepted/more respectable, and have been accused of trying to illegally cover up the fact that they were using horsemeat. That's unethical, and well, yeah, illegal.

Me, I don't even know what it tastes like, and I'd still rather be eating cow meat, or better yet, chicken which I prefer (but let's not delve into how any of this is handled too deeply or I may have to become a vegetarian and I really don't want to go that route!). I'm also concerned about meat companies lacing meat with junk that isn't healthy for us, in order to increase the bulk. I've heard too many horror stories about a few different products, I'm afraid, to overlook food companies doing anything questionable.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Note:: Lord of Toonaria, Guardian of the Cosmoverse

Unread postby Pippa » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:43 am

I eat horsemeat on my sandwich.
I will not tell people to accept horsemeat as just another 'regular' meat, because I have no reasons to do so that will not force me to accept that, for example, dog meat is something I should try, too.
The problem is that the consumer is charged for something costing less than beef, aside from having the right to know what exactly they're eating to begin with. The problem is not that horsemeat is less quality meat - some would argue it is better, even - a renowned steakhouse in the Netherlands was recently discoverd to serve horsemeat instead, by the way.
The industry is prone to tampering, though, and I'm guessing there is a strong incentive for people who own a horse to tamper with its passport: normally, there are restrictions as to what medication can be given to the animal. Race-horses can receive anything, but their passport marks them as unsuitablefor consumption. putting a horse to sleep however, costs the owner easily 100€, while the meat can make him as much as 600€.
...Effectively putting the 'cutie' in 'QT-Games'...!
Pippa
Eternal! Forum Guide! Caption Contest Winner!

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:14 am

To me, it's more of an ethical issue. You should always be told what you are eating. Can't see eating dog though. My puppy is too adorable to imagine one might eat them! No idea what horse meat tastes like, but we are getting way off topic, so we need to get back to movies. :D

Saw Hurt Locker the other day. Well done, and an interesting modern warfare movie, though sad that the main character was addicted to an adrenaline rush. Seen any good movies lately, Pippa?
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Pippa » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:21 am

I haven't been in the cinema after The Hobbit. I did watch half of 'The color of Magic', after a book by Terry Pratchett, but I thought it was quite bad so we didn't watch the other half. We also saw 'Merlin', which had merit but couldn't captivate me, really.
...Effectively putting the 'cutie' in 'QT-Games'...!
Pippa
Eternal! Forum Guide! Caption Contest Winner!

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:21 am

Sorry to hear your latest forays at the movies weren't all that great, Pippa. Hopefully there's some cool movies coming!

Here's a fun Youtube video to brighten your day - surfing and skateboarding dog! :D
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Than » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:54 am

I had been watching the Twilight series of movies as they have been coming out on DVD and I did really like the final one. Really it is to that quality of production and story and characters that there should be D&D and other RPG inspired movies being made.

Ok some may say the twilight is a bit of a girly set of movies and books, but I did however like it, although the one before the final one was a little to heavy on the relationship side of things, but on the whole great.
Also know in other places as: Jason S, Commander Bo, Silverwolf. I am British and Swiss but working in the Czech Republic. I create Art and Software.
Than
Gold Adept

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:09 pm

I've never seen any of that particular franchise of vampire shows myself. I'm not a huge vampire fan (I do like zombies though). I'm actually not big on horror period, though I loved the Alien series, well some of the Alien movies, but that's blended-genre, which you know I'm into (horror + scifi).

Haven't really avoided those vampire movies, it's just that I see so few movies and there's so many on my list to see that they are pretty far down the list. I have heard a few people say those vampires are almost vampire in name only, because they are apparently handled so differently than in traditional vampire stories, but I've also heard the movies were pretty good. Me, I'm looking forward to the next Hunger Games movie and a couple others that escape my mind at the moment, but I can't afford to go out to movies anyway. Not for awhile yet. Cheers!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Flowswithdrek » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:52 pm

I watched the first one and dispaired. As a fan of vampire movies, I thought it as terrible and never went back to the movies to see the others. Vampires that can survive in dayligh when it is overcast is onething but vampires that sparkle in the sunlight was just a step too far me.

Just to sum the saga up, they cleaned up at the Razzies this year.
Flowswithdrek
Gold Adept

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:02 pm

Heh, the sparkle thing - I've not seen it yet of course, but it's the single biggest complaint I've heard about the vampires. They just don't "feel" like vampires from what I've heard. Still, all the buzz does make me want to see one of them, at least, just to see what all the fuss is about pro and con.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Than » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:45 pm

Twilight is in the romance/fantasy category, definitely not in the horror one and is not really like other vampire movies, so would probably alienate many of those who usually like vampire movies.

Another vampire movie I did like was "Near Dark".
Also know in other places as: Jason S, Commander Bo, Silverwolf. I am British and Swiss but working in the Czech Republic. I create Art and Software.
Than
Gold Adept

PreviousNext

Return to Discussion