Movies, films, cinema

Hang out here to discuss QT Games' projects, wish lists, movies, art, comics, fiction and games. Write your game reviews, movie reviews, brainstorm alternate movie storylines and more!

Re: Movies, films, cinema

Unread postby Flowswithdrek » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:49 am

Yes, Near Dark was a fantastic movie, I really enjoyed that one.
Flowswithdrek
Gold Adept

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:54 pm

Seen the Hobbit? This guy reviews movies like nobody's business!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Note:: Lord of Toonaria, Guardian of the Cosmoverse

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:33 am

My son, Haven, is a huge anime fan. I've watched a lot of anime over the years myself. We just finished watching Fate/Zero and I was amazed at how thoroughly blended-genre it is! Loved it! Gods with guns is right up my alley. I felt like parts of that series could slide right into the Cosmoverse! It made me want to run another gods PlaybyPost! Anyway, fun stuff. Ah, if only there was more time! :D

I also saw Elysium this week and got a kick out of seeing the star of District 9 in it - didn't think it was an awesome movie, but it was fun! Oh, speaking of District 9, I do hope they follow that up with a sequel since they left it wide open. I assume they'll do the same with Avatar. I've heard about an Avatar 2 for years now, but am still waiting...

Now as much as I get a kick out of good science fiction and as much as I love fantasy, I get an even bigger kick out of watching a movie (or reading a book) that is a blend of genres. Not just because that's my niche for Cosmothea (I mean obviously I chose to make Cosmothea blended-genre way back when because of that love), but the fantasy genre is by its very nature, a limited playing field, as is science fiction. They are big playing fields, but blended-genre (which most call multi-genre or cross-genre, and I've said before why I prefer the term blended most of the time), well, blended is blowing the doors off of what's possible, and I like having more room to play!

I love, love, love blending genres together. Alien? Aliens? Those are two of my all-time favorite movies, and I'm not even into horror! Avatar? What's not to love? That could easily be straight out of the Cosmoverse and it's just the sort of thing I love!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Pippa » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:20 pm

He, *I* finally got to see 'The Avengers'.

All good fun.
No Hobbit 2 spoilers, btw! I really want to go see that one but I have no idea when!
...Effectively putting the 'cutie' in 'QT-Games'...!
Pippa
Eternal! Forum Guide! Caption Contest Winner!

Unread postby Roadkillpancake » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:35 am

Opinions on the new HFR format?

Just saw the Desolation of Smaug in 3D HFR.
I have mixed feelings about it, but it definitely seems to be the direction movie makers are going. Personally I think they will get the kinks worked out. Some complaints that I read were not quite valid... ie motion blur and fast forwarding.
- RKill
Roadkillpancake

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:51 pm

Hm... I can't afford to go to the movies. I'll have to wait for it to come out on Red Box. That said, while I don't like it when a movie deviates significantly from the book, I can still enjoy a movie in its own right, sometimes even if it contradicts an earlier movie. Again, I don't like it when they do that (like I didn't like when the earlier Spiderman's changed the way the webbing worked), but I can still enjoy a movie even with such issues.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Than » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:46 pm

Is the rate of movie creation increasing? I seem not to get around to seeing them all, regardless of the cost.

I tend to watch a lot of series now like Game of Thrones as there is more depth due to not trying to fit all in 2 hours or 6 hours trilogy.
Also know in other places as: Jason S, Commander Bo, Silverwolf. I am British and Swiss but working in the Czech Republic. I create Art and Software.
Than
Gold Adept

Unread postby Pippa » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:29 am

I've heard it before that series enjoy more liberties today compared to classical cinema, and the thing you mention there is only one of their strong points.

Oh and Bob? Same here. Going to the movies is just becoming way too expensive nowadays.
...Effectively putting the 'cutie' in 'QT-Games'...!
Pippa
Eternal! Forum Guide! Caption Contest Winner!

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:47 pm

My son, Adam, treated Joanie and I to a movie (Divergent - man I love dystopian stories!) the other day and matinee price was $9 each! Wow, the last matinee I paid for was, I think had just gone up to $6 or $6.50, which I thought was a rip off. I don't recall what full price is anymore, but the last price I recall paying was $10.50 each. I'm scared to ask what it went up to! I've been so broke these past 2 years that I haven't gotten out much (and apparently haven't paid attention to the prices when I did, unless it just recently escalated). I dunno. The last time I went, I was treated for Christmas, I think and before that, my birthday, so it's been awhile since my stomach has turned in knots thinking about the price tag.

The funny thing is, I can wait like 6 months or less and treat the whole family to a movie at home with popcorn for $1.20 at our RedBox vending machines! Heck, half the time I go, I have a coupon for half off of that! I do love going to the movie theater though, but I'm not rich, so no idea when I'll go again. No time soon, I'm sure.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Than » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:22 pm

Where I live in the winter it is actually cheaper to go skiing than go to the cinema !
Also know in other places as: Jason S, Commander Bo, Silverwolf. I am British and Swiss but working in the Czech Republic. I create Art and Software.
Than
Gold Adept

PreviousNext

Return to Discussion