Kickstarter Projects!

Hang out here to discuss QT Games' projects, wish lists, movies, art, comics, fiction and games. Write your game reviews, movie reviews, brainstorm alternate movie storylines and more!

Kickstarter Projects!

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:27 am

This thread is devoted to discussing and posting cool Kickstarter projects!

I'll be posting on Roleplaying games and art, and maybe a few others. I like to support those who are trying hard to make it on the market, which is why I helped found the RPG Design Alliance. I know how hard it can be to take your dream, run with it, and work very hard, all the while not knowing if it will ever see the light of day in the industry. But I'm not the sort of person to give up, and I want to help Kickstarter projects and the people behind them accomplish their dreams.

Now, if you are like me, you don't have a lot of money, but if everyone tossed in even pocket change, most Kickstarters would get funded - it all adds up, and then creative goodies result!

So, check out the Kickstarters in this thread and consider supporting them. Thanks!

And, if you know of a cool Kickstarter project, post it here! :D
These first 2 are art, but I'll mention some RPG's in my next post.
____________________________________________________________________________________________
#1: Monster Stock Art with laminated monster cardstock minis by numerous artists. Joe Wetzel of Inkwell Ideas, worked very hard on the last Monster Stock Art Kickstarter, which funded and did very well, with excellent art, with some interesting benefits like the stock art license that allows small publishers to use the art in games, even changing the art as desired to suit the purpose.

Note: I like Joe. He's a straight up guy trying to put some cool stuff together and I'd like to see this one funded like his last one. His latest Kickstarter has some pretty interesting monsters as well. He also has a number of useful variations to his pledges and selection options this time around including in some cases, the ability to pick which artist paints what creature. Take a Peek!
____________________________________________________________________________________________
#2: The Wardenclyffe Horror, a graphic novel by Caffeineforge LLC
Blurb from the Kickstarter page:
The Wardenclyffe Horror is a 92 page graphic novel set in New York, 1908, a mostly unremarkable year. It follows Nikola Tesla and Mark Twain through the events of a horror story that explores what happens when fringe science goes horribly awry.

Note: David Winchester is a great guy and was the first game designer to ever work with QT Games LLC, way back in 2008! David's an excellent writer and he was very reliable when working with me on Cosmothea 4.0. The work he did on that edition of the game is being carried over into 5.0 and I'm hoping to work with him again one day. I liked his writing then and know he's just going to keep getting better. So, this one's got my vote and I'll be supporting it for sure!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Now lest you think I only support Kickstarters by friends, I supported a Pathfinder Kickstarter and D&D Commentary movie thingy recently and I don't know any of those guys nor do I play Pathfinder or D&D. I just liked what they were up to.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Note:: Lord of Toonaria, Guardian of the Cosmoverse

Re: Kickstarter Projects!

Unread postby warp9 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:23 pm

I was recently looking at one kickstarter project that I saw advertised over on RPG.net. This particular Kickstarter is a graphic novel about Earth 20 years after an alien invasion. The aliens have killed most of the humans, but the survivors still don't really know much about the mysterious aliens.

In monetary terms, they seem to have done pretty well, exceeding their goal of 12,000 bucks by over 2,000 ( I don't know if their ads helped them get to that point or not).

Anyway, here is the KS project web-site

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/aut ... f=category

And here is their general site: http://www.downfallthecomic.com/
warp9
Gold Adept

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:07 pm

Apparently, those that request more than $10,000 have their hands full. Many projects asking for that kind of money don't make it. Under $10,000 does way better, statistically, as a Kickstarter.

Yes, some like that cool Kickstarter you gave a link to, do get funded (the very popular Monte Cook got over half a million for his $20,000 Numenara RPG, enough money to work full time for a few years and put out a bunch of products), but the average joe does struggle to get the amount needed to do something as big as an RPG. It's not impossible, but it's certainly not easy.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Than » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:31 pm

Certainly I could use some monster art in my games if it is free to use, and I would donate something if used.

The guy who is writing the graphic novel, well if he wants a developer to turn it into a an android app I have the skills to do that. That goes for the rest of you too :)

We all want to follow our dreams and I am currently trying to and with no external funding, but I did make a fair bit freelancing in London a long time ago so still riding on that...
Also know in other places as: Jason S, Commander Bo, Silverwolf. I am British and Swiss but working in the Czech Republic. I create Art and Software.
Than
Gold Adept

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:27 pm

I wish you the best in your endeavors, Jason!

As for Kickstarters, here's an interesting one I found today!
#3: Shadows of Esteren. Lot of interesting stuff to look at on that link. :D

Interestingly, they seem to have piles of stuff going on there, but asked for hardly any money (the initial request is to fund but a sliver of the whole), and have now reached their funding (though they still have a long way to go before the Kickstarter expires) and in fact are now at almost 9 x more funding than they asked for (bear in mind that they put a great deal of effort into what they've done thus far). But as I said, they have a lot going on, so they can easily spend all that money to produce more cool stuff. Lots of cool art done already. Worth a look!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Than » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:04 am

Also know in other places as: Jason S, Commander Bo, Silverwolf. I am British and Swiss but working in the Czech Republic. I create Art and Software.
Than
Gold Adept

Unread postby Flowswithdrek » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:22 pm

I seen this on the news earlier. This could be the first project I back through kickstarter! Elite was miles ahead of its time (i played it on the Sinclair Spectrum) and I spent hours ducking for cover avoiding incoming misiles while pulling so hard on the Kenston joystick that I left the suckers attached to the desk. Elite is posibily my favourite computer game of all time!
Flowswithdrek
Gold Adept

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:57 pm

Very cool! I have another one I want to post on tonight - it's a 3D modeller who's made a ton of space ships in 3D, including deck plans, and did a nice job from what I can tell (I want some!). I can really see games using his maps for miniatures battles to good effect. He's trying to do a 2 sided poster map for a "party" starship. Something a group of players could be bop around the galaxy in, have fights on, etc. I'll post a link tonight.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:00 pm

Here's the 3D one I was talking about. I jumped on board this one. I love battle maps and don't see much love for scifi goodies. I'll definitely get some use out of some of these nice maps in the days ahead. Check it out - 3D starships, deck plans, etc.!

#5 Clydesdale-class Transport: Starship Deckplans

I'll look forward to seeing more on Ryan's projects. Looks like he goes into more detail than you might think at first glance - by that I mean I think he includes info on the ships themselves, not just art, but they are not for any one particular game system.

Me, I wouldn't mind commissioning this guy to do some starships and deckplans for Cosmothea. I've done a little myself, but just in 2D, and never spent a great deal of time on them as I've always been too busy. Anyway, they are fun to look at, even if it was just a poster on your wall! Or maybe that's just the geek in me, I dunno, but they got me excited, so I'm sharing them with you. :)
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Than » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:25 am

Elite kickstarter project concept art:

Than
Gold Adept

Next

Return to Discussion