Kickstarter Projects!

Hang out here to discuss QT Games' projects, wish lists, movies, art, comics, fiction and games. Write your game reviews, movie reviews, brainstorm alternate movie storylines and more!

Re: Kickstarter Projects!

Unread postby warp9 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:23 am

Bob Whitely wrote:Most of the Kickstarters I'm aware of do not establish a base funding goal that includes any money for the actual Creator. I spent a great deal of money on my Kickstarter before and after the campaign and had not planned a penny to go to me. It was all exposure for our IP. My hope is that they'll like what they see and come back wanting more.

I am aware of a few Kickstarters in which the Creator said that they'll be drawing a salary, but very few (and while I've backed a lot of campaigns, I don't back them if they are asking to be paid. It's not that they don't deserve their money—I did more work by a long shot than anyone I brought on board to work with me. They got paid but I didn't, and I'm fine with that.

That makes sense, the goal is to fund an idea, not the Creator.

Although that might make it a bit harder to set up a Kickstarter in cases where the Creator has to put in years of full-time work in order to see the project succeed (which could be the situation for many types of video games).

Bob Whitely wrote:Besides, there's some chance of making money off the actual product in the long run. Most indie publishers hope to at least break even, and with how much I invested in Cosmothea and Arcane Synthesis, breaking even would be a boon for me, but I, like other creators, am hoping to make a little off the venture, for my family's sake, if nothing else. Even if I don't, it will not have been a lost cause, however, as it is helping to build the fan base!

I hope that you do manage to make some money for all the hard work you've done. But this point highlights one of my concerns about doing a Kickstarter project (or, more specifically, my concerns about doing a KS where I don't see any money directly). I have some concerns about how much money the actual products make after the KS is over. (note : I'm not claiming any knowledge of this subject, this is simply a concern which I have)

I tend to assume that the people creating such a project will do everything they can to promote interest in their concept during the KS funding period. If most of the people they were able to reach already gave to the project, then that may make it a bit harder to make money later (since the main supporters have already given their money). The alternative is to find some new ways to reach interested people, or to find people who want to get the product, but who did not want to support the project while it was doing the KS phase.

Obviously building up the fan base is an important step, and, as you suggest with your comment about an author writing a series of books, this can be an effective tool for making money later on.
warp9
Gold Adept

Unread postby warp9 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:38 am

Bob Whitely wrote:Yes, grit and dirt —wear and tear as well, will be the sorts of crucial elements that make a game pop. Also, reducing the plastic look 3D models often have and ensuring appropriate lighting and shadows is also uber important. I've played some games in which they were too dark in some areas (even if I adjust my monitor). Now, sometimes darkness is good, but there were times I would have loved to have seen a bit more. Too much darkness and you loose the sense of scope.

The light vs darkness levels are something I need to be careful about. The monitor on my main development computer is different than a lot of other screens. Often times scenes look great on my computer, but then look way too dark on other screens. I can re-adjust the lighting in the game pretty easily, but even elements like the base textures can end up being too dark (which can still be a problem, even when the in-game lighting gets turned up).

There are some other screens around here which I can test stuff out on, and I probably need to remember to do that more often as I go along.

Bob Whitely wrote:Anyway, yes all that is very important. Glad you're having fun with it all. Wish I knew 3D. I can do some pretty nice simulated 3D, like building 3D shapes in Illustrator and then sprucing them up in Photoshop, but true 3D is something I've struggled to learn. And I don't really have the time to even practice.

Anyway, hopefully you'll be able to show off some more art (and at a time when I'm not mega swamped) and a video to boot—that would be cool! I will be able to give more and more specific feedback when I have a better sense of the game (one of the downsides of very early feedback). Lookin' forward to seeing more. :)

Thanks, I'll let you know when there is more to see. :D
warp9
Gold Adept

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:16 am

Sounds good my friend. Thanks! I look forward to seeing more. :)

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. Internet has been very spotty at best. Been out of the country. I'm back now and ready to roll again!

Waiting for the Arcane Synthesis books to show up for their hopefully last proof! They're late in arriving, but hopefully will be hear by middle of next week.

Cheers!
Bob
Bob Whitely
Admin

Note:: Lord of Toonaria, Guardian of the Cosmoverse

Unread postby warp9 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:39 pm

The "Tome of Beasts: 400+ New Monsters for 5th Edition" seems to be doing pretty well over on Kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/35 ... th-edition
warp9
Gold Adept

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:09 pm

Yeah, that does look cool. I was looking at it earlier today, though I don't play D&D—I still like to read and look at the different books. Fun stuff. And there's been more than a few other really cool Kickstarter projects lately. I haven't had time to post on them all!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:34 pm

The Dark North art book . . .

This art project on Kickstarter looks amazing. I totally can't afford to back it, sadly. I've backed several lately and am low on money these days, but be sure to check it out. Like I said—looks amazing!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby warp9 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:44 pm

Bob Whitely wrote:The Dark North art book . . .

This art project on Kickstarter looks amazing. I totally can't afford to back it, sadly. I've backed several lately and am low on money these days, but be sure to check it out. Like I said—looks amazing!

That is a pretty cool project---it is good to see that they reached their goal.
warp9
Gold Adept

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:57 am

Yes, glad to hear when a quality project gets funding. There are many with much potential that don't get funding, and more than a few that don't get funding and never deserved to, as they were doing so many things wrong.

I try to spend some time backing other Creators with worthy projects when I can, as well as helping aspiring crowdfunders with tips and such that I've learned. I did some things wrong myself and learned much and had many bad luck type scenarios with most of my suppliers raising their prices on me, all the way down to the cost of ISBNs going up from my original quote—pretty much across the board numerous things that went wrong outside of my control, not to mention being too generous, which is now biting me in the tail as I'm still working hard to wrap up promises I didn't need to make that were pretty time-consuming. I had thought adding a free short story, for example, would really sweeten the pot, going from 7 stories to 8 and then adding a 9th later in the campaign out of my own pocket, thinking both times it would bring in more backers.

I don't think I got a single extra backer for either of those two story additions, sadly. Instead, it just slowed down fulfillment. And then I doubled the size of my Cosmoverse World Tour book—again free of charge. That said, I think the Cosmoverse World Tour Book is a ton of fun and am hoping it will do well as my second book. But this thread isn't about me.

One guy I try to back when I can is David Miller, who does a mini games he designs to fit inside a lil tin like you would have mints in, hence his products: Mint Tin Pirates, etc. And of course I've backed numerous other projects.

There have been projects I would have loved to back, to get the goodies, if nothing else, but I can't back everyone, so as a rule (usually) I only a) back stuff I'm interested in, no matter how valuable it is, unless they are a friend (though I make friends easily), b) if the campaign looks like it was being handled properly, with reasonable rewards, goals, professionalism, etc. and c) if they aren't swimming in money already. I like the underdog, I guess because I am one.

I don't feel the need to support Monte Cook who is often swimming in money for projects that I just don't think deserve the level of attention they get, though I know he's talented. They get money thrown at them because he's a big name, and while I wish him and other designers the best, the underdogs need my money a lot more, so I stick with them.

No matter how much I want to back a really cool or crazy successful project, I usually avoid it unless the rewards are uber generous or I know them fairly well. Usually, the big projects I like aren't generous or at least the rewards they have worth getting are high dollar with nothing good at the low tier(s), sadly. I look hard for projects to back and really want to help people out. Having so little money (I'm pretty much just shy of broke, but I can spare up to about $20 sometimes to help people out and usually do so if they meet my criteria), I will almost always share the project on various social media, even when they are competitors. That's probably not wise of me, but I try to help where I can.

Hopefully people will treat me well when it's my turn again to try and get a project on the market, but even if they don't, I was happy to help. I don't just look for board, card and rpg projects, however, I backed a cool movie awhile back and try to look for fiction to back. Sadly, I've found a lot of fiction in which I don't like the way the campaign was set up or run, or felt the rewards were overpriced or lame. Charging $10 to get their appreciation and credit in the back of someone's book is just lame.

I think I had one of the most generous Kickstarter campaigns ran to date, at least for fiction, and had a tiny fraction of fiction lovers on board. Of course just as not everyone knew of my campaign, I sometimes don't discover cool projects until they are over, and I look fairly often.

It's fun backing peoples' dreams. I hope more people get involved in the days ahead, at least in projects worth backing!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby warp9 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:02 am

Bob Whitely wrote:Yes, glad to hear when a quality project gets funding. There are many with much potential that don't get funding, and more than a few that don't get funding and never deserved to, as they were doing so many things wrong.

Yes, I think one needs to have the right approach.

That is one of the reasons why I've put off my own Kickstarter plans for the moment. I'll just do my own work on developing my project. Maybe, in the future, when I'm really ready to bring in other people, I'll reconsider going the Kickstarter route.
warp9
Gold Adept

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:40 pm

Personally, I'm in no hurry to do another Kickstarter. Unfortunately, publishing is expensive, and contrary to what many might think, it's not easy to make money publishing books or games, our two focus areas. Consumers expect to pay very little for what costs quite a bit to produce, and as with any new venture, it takes quite awhile to get discovered.

Unless QT Games' finances improve considerably, however, we'll be looking at doing another Kickstarter or three down the road. Kickstarter works well for people and companies that are well known and loved, but for those of us unknowns, it is definitely something to approach with caution and a good amount of planning.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Previous

Return to Discussion