Kickstarter Projects!

Hang out here to discuss QT Games' projects, wish lists, movies, art, comics, fiction and games. Write your game reviews, movie reviews, brainstorm alternate movie storylines and more!

Re: Kickstarter Projects!

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:20 pm

Here's another one I've found. According to the description . . . well it says: 99 chances is the Indie roleplaying storytelling card game where you collectively weave a story while telling your own tales.

Ends in 36 hours! Check it out here!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Note:: Lord of Toonaria, Guardian of the Cosmoverse

Unread postby warp9 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:09 am

Really cool kickstarter project here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gavan/voxel-quest

I was actually very interested in this one before it became a kickstarter, but now that it is in KS mode, I will be motivated to see it succeed.
warp9
Gold Adept

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:53 pm

That does look pretty cool! They are over their halfway point with 18 days to go, so hopefully they'll take it the rest of the way. :D
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:50 am

Here's another neat Kickstarter:

Era: The Consortium! A scifi tabletop roleplaying game. Made by Shades of Vengeance. :)

It ends Nov. 9th. Be sure to check it out on Kickstarter!

Let's help fund people's dreams one Kickstarter at a time! Let's make a difference in the lives of others, both on crowdfunding and every day with the people we meet. Sound good?! Helping others isn't just a good idea, it rocks. It makes the world go round!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:01 pm

I'm back in town—finally!!!

Not sure if you know it or not, but you can follow people on Kickstarter. Some follow me and are alerted every time that I back a project (I've backed 43 projects so far) and I too follow others. But for those not following me or want to see cool projects that I'm not backing (including this one, even though I like it—hey, my money is really low right now and I like more than I can afford to back), there's this thread. And of course you are allowed to post what Kickstarter projects you like here too!

Here is an absurdly popular card game on Kickstarter. The fastest funding one I've ever seen for a printed game and maybe of any game whatsoever, not sure. Several times a minute today (at least when I've looked) they were gaining new backers. They are up well over 2 million dollars for a $20,000 game (an amount I thought was high to begin with for a card game that isn't a CCG, which requires loads of art, generally). But it has a fun premise. Check it out here! They have over 58,000 fans and climbing and still have 29 days to go. I think they hit 100% funding in the first 20 minutes—truly a crazy situation! Wow!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby warp9 » Sun May 03, 2015 5:04 pm

Hey Bob, I was thinking about doing a kick starter, do you have any advice? Or are you available for consulting (at a reasonable price) for this matter?

It might help to have somebody around who has already been successful in this regard.
warp9
Gold Adept

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Fri May 08, 2015 10:23 pm

Hey Rob,

I'd be happy to help to what degree I can. I've only done one Kickstarter, but I've learned much, and some ought to be worth sharing. The thing is, I'm currently working around 70 hours per week for my day job (well, day and night job so far as we work toward a huge deadline), and then I work on Arcane Synthesis rewards, which leaves little time for sleeping and zero entertainment.

When are you thinking of running it? They are actually much bigger endeavors than I think most people realize (well people that haven't run one before). Not trying to be discouraging, but they are very tricky and time-consuming. I'm in no rush to run another, but ultimately I'll likely have to as my budget is still dead in the water.

Anyway, hopefully timing will work out and I'll be able to lend a hand or at least have some useful advice for ya! I'm curious to hear more about your project—a mobile game I'm assuming?? Btw, and I'm not trying to get freelance work as I'm much too busy, but my day job is game designer/artist for a mobile game company. And I know you've got at least a couple projects you've been cooking up, so I thought I'd ask. That's all I'm allowed to say at this point about my day job. We should have something out fairly soon and then my hours will drop down to something semi reasonable. Cheers! :)
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby warp9 » Sat May 09, 2015 1:26 pm

Bob Whitely wrote:Hey Rob,

I'd be happy to help to what degree I can. I've only done one Kickstarter, but I've learned much, and some ought to be worth sharing. The thing is, I'm currently working around 70 hours per week for my day job (well, day and night job so far as we work toward a huge deadline), and then I work on Arcane Synthesis rewards, which leaves little time for sleeping and zero entertainment.

When are you thinking of running it? They are actually much bigger endeavors than I think most people realize (well people that haven't run one before). Not trying to be discouraging, but they are very tricky and time-consuming. I'm in no rush to run another, but ultimately I'll likely have to as my budget is still dead in the water.

Anyway, hopefully timing will work out and I'll be able to lend a hand or at least have some useful advice for ya! I'm curious to hear more about your project—a mobile game I'm assuming?? Btw, and I'm not trying to get freelance work as I'm much too busy, but my day job is game designer/artist for a mobile game company. And I know you've got at least a couple projects you've been cooking up, so I thought I'd ask. That's all I'm allowed to say at this point about my day job. We should have something out fairly soon and then my hours will drop down to something semi reasonable. Cheers! :)

Sorry to hear that things are so busy right now. Hopefully you will find a bit more time to take it easy soon (and maybe even see the new Avengers film).

It would be great if you could give some advice, but given how busy you are right now, I'll understand if you can't.

Anyway, assuming you do have some time to consider the matter. . . .

These are my plans for a Kickstarter : the idea is to do some kind of post-apocalyptic turn-based computer RPG (probably not a mobile game, since that is not really the platform I develop for). I have in mind something kinda like Fall out 1 & 2, but hopefully with somewhat better graphics.

I was looking at some of the Kickstarters which had been set up for similar projects (all of them are post apocalyptic, turn-based, games which seem to have been pretty successful, at least in terms of getting funded) :
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sk ... escription
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/70 ... escription
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/in ... escription

My specific plan is to go with a Cthulhu based apocalypse, rather than the more standard nuclear based apocalypse. Cthulhu was always supposed to rise again anyway, so that Cthulhu-apocalypse thing is somewhat logical. There are a bunch of Lovecraft fans around, and much of that body of work is now in the public domain. That allows for lots of Lovecraftian entities to be running around the post-apocalyptic landscape, and a setting that many people already have some connection to (because of the Lovecraft angle). So this seemed like a good way to go.

There are a few others who are also interested in helping out on the project. Although, nobody else has any background with programming, 3D modeling, or animation, so I will have to do all that stuff myself (at least for right now). But hopefully the others can help with the Kickstarter stuff.

My plan is to make a demo, or some kind of early-alpha-version of the program, so there is something tangible to show people. And then move forward with a Kickstarter.

Alternatively, I could hold off on the Kickstarter, and do a scaled back version 1---then, if people like version 1, I could do the KIckstarter.
warp9
Gold Adept

Unread postby Flowswithdrek » Sun May 10, 2015 6:01 am

I will echo what Bob has said. Although I've never run a Kickstarter myself, I've been involved in a few as a writer creating some of the promised content. The more you have to show people of your project the better, so get as much completed first as you can, then you know exactly what else needs done.

People do underestimate the effort involved and even the most basic things can go wrong and cause delays, even things that go very right can cause big delays and new problems, even if the end result is worth waiting for.

In the Elite: Dangerous Tales From The Frontier Kickstarter we had a number of things that went wrong, most turned out to be positive, but still caused delays and added additional work.

First one of our authors was a no show, so we had to replace, then another later on which we had to replace, and another couldn't finish the story so the other authors had to help out. Then we had a artist for every story, they all flaked once they seen the amazing artwork one artist had produced, suddenly we needed 14 more artists! This was a fail forward example as the artist then offered to illustrate each story, so all were quality illustrations and matching in style. Of course he now had 15 times the work to do, so this took more time. Our synopsis had to be approved by Frontier Developments as did the final drafts prior to editing, both steps that took time.

Then we got picked up by Fantastic Books Publishing, we all had to go through several rounds of editorial tennis with professional editors and re do a lot of our work, we had to meet online with the publisher and hash out terms and conditions and a lot of other stuff besides. One of our newer authors was also into creating audio books, this led to a second kickstarter while the first still hadn't finished... All ended well with awesome products, but the work load for all concerned was much more that we could have imagined
Flowswithdrek
Gold Adept

Unread postby warp9 » Sun May 10, 2015 1:20 pm

First off, thanks for the feedback! :D

Flowswithdrek wrote:I will echo what Bob has said. Although I've never run a Kickstarter myself, I've been involved in a few as a writer creating some of the promised content. The more you have to show people of your project the better, so get as much completed first as you can, then you know exactly what else needs done.

I'll have to be thinking about that. It would be nice to pretty well set in order to know what sort of resources will be needed with the Kickstarter.

Flowswithdrek wrote:People do underestimate the effort involved and even the most basic things can go wrong and cause delays, even things that go very right can cause big delays and new problems, even if the end result is worth waiting for.

In the Elite: Dangerous Tales From The Frontier Kickstarter we had a number of things that went wrong, most turned out to be positive, but still caused delays and added additional work.

First one of our authors was a no show, so we had to replace, then another later on which we had to replace, and another couldn't finish the story so the other authors had to help out. Then we had a artist for every story, they all flaked once they seen the amazing artwork one artist had produced, suddenly we needed 14 more artists! This was a fail forward example as the artist then offered to illustrate each story, so all were quality illustrations and matching in style. Of course he now had 15 times the work to do, so this took more time. Our synopsis had to be approved by Frontier Developments as did the final drafts prior to editing, both steps that took time.

Then we got picked up by Fantastic Books Publishing, we all had to go through several rounds of editorial tennis with professional editors and re do a lot of our work, we had to meet online with the publisher and hash out terms and conditions and a lot of other stuff besides. One of our newer authors was also into creating audio books, this led to a second kickstarter while the first still hadn't finished... All ended well with awesome products, but the work load for all concerned was much more that we could have imagined

I'm glad things worked out for the best with your project!

If things go wrong for me, hopefully it will ultimately end out as well as it did for you. Of course, one never knows exactly what will happen, so that probably gets back to the first part of your comment about being as prepared as possible.

That all tends to suggest actually coming out with a fairly playable version 1 of the game. Then, once that is complete, moving forward to the Kickstarter.
warp9
Gold Adept

PreviousNext

Return to Discussion