Procedural generation and Right to write a book for Elite

Hang out here to discuss QT Games' projects, wish lists, movies, art, comics, fiction and games. Write your game reviews, movie reviews, brainstorm alternate movie storylines and more!

Procedural generation and Right to write a book for Elite

Unread postby Than » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:50 pm

Really decent video on Procedural generation added and am thinking of using these techniques in one of my future games, it seems the way to go....

Also:
Right to write a book for Elite! They are giving this to 10 people only.

It is expensive but I suppose you may make loads back I dunno? Anyway I am not an author, but it is interesting.

See "The writers pack" in
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/146 ... s/comments

And your new logo is an improvement :)
Also know in other places as: Jason S, Commander Bo, Silverwolf. I am British and Swiss but working in the Czech Republic. I create Art and Software.
Than
Gold Adept

Re: Procedural generation and Right to write a book for Elite

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:25 pm

Huh, that's interesting. Thanks for posting it. That Elite project looks interesting. Thanks also for the feedback on the logo. :D

Cheers!
Bob
Bob Whitely
Admin

Note:: Lord of Toonaria, Guardian of the Cosmoverse

Unread postby Flowswithdrek » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:40 pm

Yeah procedural generation sounds really interesting - I'm amazed it hasnt caught on. All those years ago it was the reason such a huge and ground breaking game was crammed into 22K of memory. Thats pretty awsome!

If I had a spare 4000 quid i would bite at the chance to write a novel, i guess you could make your money back no problem with a sanctioned kickstarter, you would likely get to use the cool fancy logo. the original novella "Dark Wheel" was written by Robert Holstock of "Mythago Wood" fame. Sadly he's no longer with us.
Flowswithdrek
Gold Adept

Unread postby Flowswithdrek » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:28 pm

The 'Right to Write a book' has spawned a number of crowdfunding projects to allow prospective writers to fund their Right to Write that book. The funds raised pay for the pledge level and the backers get the book, its like kicking it forward only different. By funding the book, the author is funding the game that spawned the book.

Check out John Harpers Indiegogo campaign Here
Flowswithdrek
Gold Adept

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:07 am

procedural generation is pretty exciting, I have to say, and yeah, hard to believe it hasn't been done to death. That said, no amount of procedural generation will make up for good clean story and creative, new environments. That sort of thing would still have to be built into any game to make it last for the long term, and that isn't procedurally generated, even if the objects and space are. Even so, I could see those 2 games discussed finding appeal.

As for writing the novel. While writing a novel for something that already has an audience is appealing, if I'm going to spend countless hours writing a novel, I would never want to do it for something that's not near and dear to my heart, and that one isn't. I already don't have enough years left in my life to write all the novels I already have stories for. It kills me to think about that, but it's simple mathematics. If I take the number of average years a male has left at my age and calculate the approximate time it takes to write a novel (I've already written 1 1/2 plus some of another I am working on this year) and it shows I would likely not be able to write all the novels I already have planned. But for those excited about the setting and with time on their hands and not other ideas beating down their doors, I could see doing it, but I don't think you should have to pay to do it. Now if you can use Kickstarter or IndieGoGo and you are passionate about it, then yeah, sounds cool!

That said, check out this thread about writing in a shared universe!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Flowswithdrek » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:22 am

Bob, i don't think procedural generation and good story and creative environments are mutually exclusive. Just imagine Cosmothea (as a computer game) with all your solid creative ideas as the core world setting, then take those basic concepts and rules and put them into procedural generation, and Bang, Cosmothea is bigger than even you imagine it, each world different from the next! Even better, if required, each person can have a Cosmothea that is unique to them and them only if they wanted.
Flowswithdrek
Gold Adept

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:32 am

Well, I do think it's a very interesting technology and hopefully they'll do some more cool things with it. I just meant that both are needed to make the game great.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Than » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:40 pm

Just if you did back Elite, it seems the price of the full game that includes free updates is 90 pounds or for non-UK people 105 pounds which is about 170 US dollars.

Otherwise the game will have holes in space you cannot go to and no planetary seamless landings unless you paid separately for those updates.

I was not over joyed at that news. Certainly I am not spending the equivalent of 170 US dollars on it.
Also know in other places as: Jason S, Commander Bo, Silverwolf. I am British and Swiss but working in the Czech Republic. I create Art and Software.
Than
Gold Adept

Unread postby Flowswithdrek » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:35 pm

No, the full game will be released without planetary landings; that will come later. So the full game will not cost anything like what you suggest.

Seriously, you’re worried they are going to reserve some solar systems, out of billions of systems (they do intend to recreate the milky way) so they can build in some extra specific features and missions and other creative elements? All the original planets and systems will still be there from previous games. Yes seamless planetary landings are something they want to do 100% perfect and make them awesome looking, which is why they it will not be part of the full game, however have you looked at what else you get for £90, the list is quite extensive.

Transferable Decal for you ships
News letter
Reserve your commander name
Your name forms part of naming database for NPC's
Digital copy of the game
Digital copy of the Dark Wheel
Digital copy of the music
Access to the private backer’s forums so you can help shape the game
Limited edition boxed set including t-shirt and physical DRM free copy of the game that can be played without online connection
Access to the Beta Testing of the game

You do realise the full game only costs £20 don’t you? I doubt the updates will even cost as much, the £90 is just another tier. All the smaller addons and updates are free.
Flowswithdrek
Gold Adept

Unread postby Than » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:14 pm

Well they have an 80 pound digital only pack now that includes all future expansions, so in my mind the complete game for the life of the game.

That is more my thing so I went for that. The difference between 105 and 80 may only be 25 but I did feel 105 was too high but 80 for me sort of ok. Each has to make their own decision judgement.
Than
Gold Adept

Next

Return to Discussion