GEN CON 2013: D&D Next

Hang out here to discuss QT Games' projects, wish lists, movies, art, comics, fiction and games. Write your game reviews, movie reviews, brainstorm alternate movie storylines and more!

GEN CON 2013: D&D Next

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:19 pm

Ok, seriously, I didn't watch the following video with any intention of bashing D&D or judging them. I just like to keep up on what's going on in the RPG industry and I thought I'd listen in and see what WotC is planning for the days to come. Feel free to follow the link and watch the presentation for yourself, but I'm going to sum up the entire presentation in a single word to start: Lackluster.

Frankly, WotC seems to have, at least based on this presentation only, gone completely off the deep end. The presentation is met with no enthusiasm worth mentioning. And the bulk of the focus is not on D&D so much as on how they are tying in their IP into so many other products that couldn't excite me less. And you can tell, by how coffin quiet the gamers are who are listening.

Now, D&D Next might turn out pretty good - it's impossible to tell by the horrible presentation, but their focus seems to be more on MMO's and legos than on bringing back not only the D&D that many of us grew up with, but a better D&D. Even the starting music, while not bad, just felt more like mourning music, so somber. I dunno, watch it for yourself. While I don't play D&D, it would be kind of nice after all their hard work, huge finances and huge fan support over the years, they could produce a presentation worth watching, and a game worth playing, but they keep missing the boat, IMO. I have no high expectations for this game.

If I wanted to play D&D, I'd play Pathfinder, but I wasn't impressed with most of 4th edition (though some of it was quite good). I'm not so sure WotC is up to the task of designing a truly great RPG, which is a shame, considering they have so much going for them - big bucks, staff, experience, etc.

I can say with all honesty that I'd much rather play Cosmothea any day of the week - with all its flaws (but hey, Cosmothea is early in its 5th edition, so it's got lots of gaps and flaws - most people don't play RPG's this early in production, but I've got some great players who are patient as I revamp it. I'm sure many will play D&D Next and fall in love with it, out of nostalgia if nothing else, and some will hate it, as with any game. We'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.

For their own sake, I wish WotC the best, but I'm not holding my breath on the quality of the game. I'm sure they'll get several things right and several wrong. I'd rather play a game that gets more right. I can't boast about Cosmothea yet though - we're too early in production. Ah well, check out the presentation yourself and see what you think. And of course their presentation is not their game, so again, we'll have to wait and see — the game might rock, if D&D is your thing and you are into their slant on roleplaying, but what a sad presentation.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Note:: Lord of Toonaria, Guardian of the Cosmoverse

Return to Discussion