Crossgen Comics Blues

Hang out here to discuss QT Games' projects, wish lists, movies, art, comics, fiction and games. Write your game reviews, movie reviews, brainstorm alternate movie storylines and more!

Crossgen Comics Blues

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Wed May 21, 2014 10:06 pm

Yeah, this is pretty out of date, but I just ran across a couple articles about Marvel trying to reboot the Crossgen Universe tonight and it made me sad all over again.

I grew up on Marvel Comics. I loved them, and still do, though not quite as blindly perhaps as I was growing up. As much as I love Batman and New Gods, DC Comics couldn't hold a candle next to Marvel for me. I loved those weaker characters with hangups and the stories really resonated with me. All the main characters over at DC were overpowered IMO.

Anyway, regardless of whether you're a big DC or Marvel fan, awhile back there was a little company called Crossgen Comics. The eventually went under in a nasty financial mess, but they had some of the brightest stars working for them, huge names that went on to Marvel and DC fame. By the time that company went under, I was buying every single title they published but one, which is more than I can say for how many Marvel titles I bought and way, way more than how many DC titles I was collecting at the time. Crossgen had done the impossible! They made me love them more than Marvel, and that's a TALL order. Now, it's true that when I think back on my childhood, my all-time favorite comics are not Crossgen, but Marvel titles, but I was crushed when Crossgen went under. They had some blended-genre tales, various genre titles and only 1 superhero book, ironically, it was the only book I couldn't stomach buying (because it was campy).

Anyway, Disney bought Crossgen and then sat on it, doing very little with it - they literally bought it solely for one of the titles (Abadazad or however you spell it) they had "big plans" for (and did little with). It was a half-hearted effort. Then Marvel was bought by Disney and it seemed like Crossgen would return. After awhile, finally, Marvel announced excited that they were going to start releasing some new Crossgen books.

At first I was excited, then realized that they weren't really very committed. They were going to do some short mini series and their original announcement indicated that it was going to be all new stuff (only barely resembling the true titles). Well, they went back and forth and I think they did end up doing some stuff somewhat reminiscent to the earlier ones, but ignored my favorite titles and like I said, it was not a serious attempt. It's almost like they were just looking for a tax write off or something. From what I hear, that effort was pretty much the nails in the coffin. I know non superhero comics don't sell nearly as well, but there's some thriving titles on the market by other publishers, Maybe one day someone else will acquire Crossgen and do it justice. I love, love those titles!

Here's an interesting quote I found from Marvel awhile back:

“Crossgen is one of the biggest comic book imprint launches this century,” says David Gabriel, SVP of Sales & Circulation. “You’ve seen Marvel redefine super heroes and now we’re taking on every popular genre you can imagine, with some of the most unique and compelling new series you’ll find in 2011, each priced at only $2.99 per issue. You’ve never read Marvel comics like these!”

Sadly, it appears true - we'll never read Marvel comics like these! Too bad they weren't committed to doing it right. Well, I may never get all of my dreams on the market, but rest assured I don't do anything half-heartedly. 'Nuff said.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Note:: Lord of Toonaria, Guardian of the Cosmoverse

Re: Crossgen Comics Blues

Unread postby Steven E Schend » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:24 am

I liked CrossGen for a time as well, Bob. Alas, when I heard Marvel was relaunching them, I was skeptical, as I remember them saying the same things when they absorbed Malibu's ULTRAVERSE (another second-tier universe that had some great ideas and fun stuff).

What I liked the most out of CG was their committment to collecting their books. Granted, DC & Marvel both seem to set up their books for TPBs, but their lack of creative continuity and up-and-down quality made me wonder why they bothered to collect some stories but not others.

I liked CG's different take on things and keep the TPBs around for alternate approaches to fantasy and sci fi. Of all of them, I'd probably want to tackle doing things like were in SCION with near-magical tech-swords et al.
Steven E Schend

Re: Crossgen Comics Blues

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:14 pm

Agreed, and Scion was a lot of fun. I enjoyed very much Negation as well, and the Negation war. I have a lot of floating islands (you can decide if you want any on Vandoon) and so I also loved reading Meridin, which had full blown sky cultures. Of course the art was crazy good in all of their books, unlike Marvel and DC sometimes, as you said.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Note:: Lord of Toonaria, Guardian of the Cosmoverse

Return to Discussion