PbP HUD

We have an ongoing Cosmothea Play-by-Post playtest going and you are also welcome to start an adventure of your own!

PbP HUD

Unread postby Gicker » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:15 am

Hi guys,

I am in the process of creating a new web site that is used to manage the play by post campaigns people play in. I want to show you guys an example of what I am working on. The content and window size are changable by anyone who knows html, and I can also give instructions to anyone who doesn't but wants to give it a shot. You can have as many or as few tabs as you want, and the tabs can contain any web page at all, I just happen to use it for pbp stuff.

The package is just a simple html/javascript program, so it will work on any browser that has full html/javascript functionality. Not sure whether it will work on mobile devices or not though.

So without any further ado, here is the file. Please let me know any comments or questions you might have about it.

I will let you know when the web site is done. The web site will have a user friendly method of managing the tabs, screen size, and page title.

Download and enjoy!

Steve / Gicker

File:
qtgameshud.zip
(27.01 KiB) Downloaded 266 times
QT-Games Cosmothea Campaigns
Secrets of Cathor: Cinder OOC Thread IC Thread 3

"Adam fell that men might be, and men are, that they might have joy", Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 2:25
Gicker
Mithril Adept

Re: PbP HUD

Unread postby NexusX » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:56 am

Hey, Steve!

I'm not sure how you are making iy, but that is pretty dang cool! My only concern would be that it doesn't somehow give access to the rules to people who have not signed and turned in the NDA. Not sure about anyone else, but I'm not sure exactly how this would work beyond the simulation you provided. i.e. does someone download the final version, which then accesses the internet and drops content into the pages, so you are working both on and offline or? Oh, I see, it's just your example that requires a download to run it. Heh, may bad.

It is cool, I have to say. Just not very familiar with it. And can you switch between multiple PbP games or game systems? Not that I really want people playing some game other than Cosmothea, heh, but realistically, someone might want to, so is this a game-neutral thing, but you just provided a Cosmothea example, or what else can you tell us about this neat creation of yours? It does look pretty handy for quick switching between relevant info!

Oh, I guess my only other thought would be possibly using QT Games colors (Teal, light teal and orange) for the tabs, but that's just me being selfish and QT-focused. Heh. Nice work, Steve. :)
NexusX
Moderator/Infinitar

Note:: Moderator

Unread postby Gicker » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:35 am

Thanks Nexus,

Yeah it is just going to be a standalone product, not affiliated with QT-Games, though maybe I could set you up with your own proprietary version when it's all done. It's not going to be commercial, completely free to use.

The end product won't be a download. You will go to a web site (pbphud.com) and make an account, and then you can create as many huds (heads up displays) as you like, with each hud having a custom page title, any number of tabs displaying any web site, and having a changable tab window size. You will be able to add and remove tabs from your huds after they are created as well.

I could also create skins as you suggest... a qt-games skin for example.

Anyway I know it will make my life easier, and that's why I made it. Only one bookmark to keep track of per campaign, and all the info I need at my fingertips with easy navigation between tabs. I figured others would probably find it useful as well, which is why I am making the pbphud.com site. However something I can do is offer free advertising for cosmothea until it gets on its feet if I do decide to put in any ads there, which is a definite possibility.

So yeah. Hopefully some people here will find the tool useful as well. I know I'll be using it for all of my campaigns myself.

Oh and as for the members section, the password protection remains. You are probably already signed into it, which is why it didn't prompt you.

Gicker
QT-Games Cosmothea Campaigns
Secrets of Cathor: Cinder OOC Thread IC Thread 3

"Adam fell that men might be, and men are, that they might have joy", Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 2:25
Gicker
Mithril Adept

Unread postby NexusX » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:52 am

Oh, well that does sound like a really cool plan you've got there, Steve. Very cool indeed. We'll have to talk more on all this as you continue developing it, and thanks for thinking of me with a Cosmo ad. :)

Perhaps as the site grows in popularity, selling banner space would help with compensating yourself for the site and all. Skins sound cool too. :) We could use all the help we can get at QT Games to get the word out!

Now if I could get this on my ipad ... :) Heh. Still waiting for that thing to get multitasking! I hear it's coming in a future OS upgrade. Robert, C0deM0nkey, just recently made me an Initiative Tracker for the ipad. Once it goes on the market, he said he'll be making a Cosmothea-skinned version of it. :)

Anyway. Thanks for sharing with us!
NexusX
Moderator/Infinitar

Note:: Moderator

Return to Play-By-Post