Design Contest!

Looking for an event or contest to sink your teeth into? This is the place!

Design Contest!

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:19 am

Anyone interested in a short design contest? I mentioned it a few days ago in the welcome thread, but I should have done it here!

I was thinking we might do a contest linked to Cosmothea or at least useable in Cosmothea. Like maybe a contest to come up with an idea for a new monster, alien, a cool vehicle, interesting magic item, superhero power, spell, futurisic weapon, or something. It would require fluff only, not game mechanics, so that anyone could dive in and try to win a prize. We've had decent participation on a few contests and zero participation on a few, so I thought I'd get a sense first if anyone's interested in tossing their hat in the ring. If we can't get at least 5 people, it's probably not worth doing. No large word count, but something fun you can whip up without busting a gut. Just a matter of what the topic should be.

I would post specific design requirements once we decide on a topic. The design requirements would be to help you know the theme, word count, and also include limits so you can't just reach into your file of designs and pull one out (or at least less likely). It also makes it more fun because if we make it a tad different, then you have to think a bit, rather than it be too easy! But I promise it won't be too hard or time consuming either. Just a fun little contest to help kick off the new year! So, toss in your two cents and lets see about getting this thing rolling soon! We need at least 5 people interested to move forward, so tell your friends. Thanks! :D
Bob Whitely
Admin

Note:: Lord of Toonaria, Guardian of the Cosmoverse

Re: Design Contest!

Unread postby Than » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:19 am

Well it's a good way to get ideas so I perhaps could throw something wacky in for consideration.

P.s. do you have ideas bucket threads for magic items, creatures etc ?
Also know in other places as: Jason S, Commander Bo, Silverwolf. I am British and Swiss but working in the Czech Republic. I create Art and Software.
Than
Gold Adept

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:24 am

Yes, but there will be a prize at least, and if the idea is really good, the player may well see it show up in the game, which is a fun thing as well, and useful to the game too, so everyone wins. :D

Thanks for asking about an idea bucket. We have 2, one for the community HERE, and another in a secure area of the forums we have set up for the Design Team.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:47 am

In Cosmothea, we've always gone off the beaten path (not so far off that we get lost in the woods, but we're not trying to just regurgitate what everyone else is doing either).

There are no wands in Cosmothea, nor scrolls (except for maps, letters, legal docs and other mundane uses). Most of the magic items are offline right now, but I'll be putting up more and more in the treasure section as we move forward. I'll be reviewing magic items from older editions of Cosmothea and sort out which ones are best to include and we'll make up plenty more).

As for monsters, we've done some classics (and have tried to make them feel a bit different when reasonable and appropriate) and are slowly revamping some of our own older monsters and make up new ones. When it comes to mythology and what's been done before, there are no sacred cows. We're just trying to produce a great game that feels fresh and fun and interesting with good gameplay. It's a tall order, but I'm very happy with the team we've assembled and things are looking good. But I also know that an rpg is big and has lots of needs, and there's a lot of untapped talent out there, and I'd like to give everyone a chance to do some good stuff they can be proud of, so we'll accept submissions here and there and also hold some contests so others can draw on their own great imaginations and come up with some fun stuff we can all enjoy. :D

I can come up with the topic easily enough. I'm mostly interested at this point in how many people would like to join in if and when we do have our next contest - which if we get decent feedback, will be very soon!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Pippa » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:08 am

Well much 'll depend on the topic, but on top of that, I don't want to swindle you out of your money!
Also, I'm thinking paticipants would like a fair amount of competition. So far it's been relatively quiet in here...
I'm thinking you could find more people to join in the contest when you make a clear statement whether or not the idea will find its way into the published books, and if so, if there's compensation.
You know how some are.
...Effectively putting the 'cutie' in 'QT-Games'...!
Pippa
Eternal! Forum Guide! Caption Contest Winner!

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:22 am

Well, I did say there was going to be a prize!

I always give a gift card at least! While we can't guarantee a submission will be included in the game whether it wins or not (and sometimes those that don't win are also deserving of publication), but as appropriate, we'll do so, but all that will be spelled out. I had good participation on some of our earlier contests, but the last 2 contests I advertised on 2 other sites and we had zero participation even though it's lots of fun! So go figure!

Thanks for not wanting to swindle me, Pippa, but this is also about providing everyone with something fun to do, draw a bit of attention to the site and new friends hopefully! And if we get some good submissions, then the winner or winners deserve what they get! But I don't want to run one unless we get at least 5 people saying they want to do it as I have other things on my plate. Sometimes it's hard to give away money, which has always surprised me, but hopefully this time we'll get some gamers that realize it's fun and worth their time to dive in and do this!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:34 am

Personally, I'm leaning toward a piece of treasure that one might find in a monster or alien's gear, but I'm open to what the majority wants to do. :D
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Pippa » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:19 pm

As long as it doesn't require too much knowledge of the game's mechanics, we should be good.

With designing equipment, you're going to have to tell folks there's no such thing as wands in Cosmothea, btw. Or spellbooks. Or scrolls.
Pippa

Unread postby Pippa » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:21 pm

How about designing a bunch of isolated humanoids, with their own habits, rites and folklore? If they're inhabiting a remote and hard-to-reach location, hardly having any contact with major cultures whatsoever, people could go really wild with that one.
Pippa

Unread postby Than » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:56 pm

Glad you have an ideas forum section, added my cup idea to it, will add more stuff as time goes by, not expecting anything to get published but if something does one day, that would be cool.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=424
Also know in other places as: Jason S, Commander Bo, Silverwolf. I am British and Swiss but working in the Czech Republic. I create Art and Software.
Than
Gold Adept

Next

Return to Events & Contests