Insiders Announcements

Everything Else

Insiders Announcements

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:01 pm

For even faster news (if that were possible), I have created this thread. For quicky reminders.

There's a contest going on HERE. It's [Time Sensitive]. Check it out!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Note:: Lord of Toonaria, Guardian of the Cosmoverse

Re: Insiders Announcements

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:40 am

Another update is online. As you Backer Insiders already know, the enormous beast of a star map is done and delivered!

The race images were painted by Annemie Thijs (our very own Pippa!) and Jason Rainville, both of which have been working with QT Games for several years (before our official company launch in January). Pippa's stepped down to become the mother of 2 little angels, but we hope to see some more artwork from her in the future one day (her own projects if nothing else). Here's a few pics from the map for those who didn't see the update:
Cosmoverse-Map-tiny.jpg
Cosmoverse-Map-tiny.jpg (423.87 KiB) Viewed 1592 times

Cosmoverse_slice.jpg.jpg
Cosmoverse_slice.jpg.jpg (409.08 KiB) Viewed 1592 times

Cosmoverse_slice2.jpg
Cosmoverse_slice2.jpg (395.97 KiB) Viewed 1592 times
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:17 pm

Well, I've been workin' like a dog lately, save for a break for Thanksgiving, trying to add 10 free pics into the book for you fine folks. I had a color Stretch Goal planned for 8 paintings and when that didn't go, I thought I'd surprise you and do 8 b&w sketches and 2 star maps, which is what I'm hard at work on currently.

I just finished a picture for Allen Farr's Spectre of War story, featuring the ominous Obsidian Gate! I really like the way this gate turned out. I made it kind of exotic looking. Allen's story takes place in kind of a desert-ee wasteland landscape of sorts, so I made it very rocky and harsh. :)

I have 8 of the pictures done, finally!

What's left? Two more!

A map for The Train Less Traveled story.
Just the logistics for that story alone was quite challenging as I had to figure out how fast everyone was moving, from the train to animals and fantastic creatures - how long it would take to get places and made and tweaked a very rough map all along as I wrote the story. So my next move will be to go back in and completely redraw - well, make a whole new map nice and fancy, based on the rough one I made while writing!

Aside from that, I am going to draw a picture of an orynii and his shell for Robert Duran's "Wisdom of the Shell" story, which features an orynii as the main character. It's a really wild race - very complex. Of all the creatures I made for players to use as "PC's", the orynii is my favorite! They look kind of crazy, but are rich in personality, back story, psychology and physiology - very cool stuff! I'll draw Robert's before wrapping things up and drawing my last map for the train story. By then, hopefully Phil will be all done with editing and I can do my final, final editing and get this thing laid out in the book!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Flowswithdrek » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:34 pm

Bob Whitely wrote:I just finished a picture for Allen Farr's Spectre of War story, featuring the ominous Obsidian Gate! I really like the way this gate turned out. I made it kind of exotic looking. Allen's story takes place in kind of a desert-ee wasteland landscape of sorts, so I made it very rocky and harsh. :)

Now you have me excited :mrgreen:
Flowswithdrek
Gold Adept

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:42 pm

I'm a little over halfway through my ninth picture. One more to go!

These pictures sure have been a lot of work, but we just have to have some art in the book. I'm not the hottest artist on the block and I'm not used to doing b&w, only color pictures - it's quite a different technique in some ways - in fact, I've been drawing these entirely in Illustrator (vector) - well, about 99% - I usually draw and paint in Photoshop, so it's been challenging (except for buildings, which I always do in Illustrator). But I think they turned out pretty good.

Here's the gate picture, Allen. Hope you like it! :D
The_Obsidian_Gate.jpg
The_Obsidian_Gate.jpg (269 KiB) Viewed 1580 times
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Flowswithdrek » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:41 pm

Nice Job. Much more impressive architecturally than it was in mind when I was writing the story. I love the shadow it throws on the ground and the Shadowkin is a nice touch also. Thanks for the preview!
Flowswithdrek
Gold Adept

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:06 pm

Glad you like it, Allen. I seriously bent the time continuum to do all the illustrations (or at least cut back on my sleep considerably for a time).

Btw, I'm told I should have the manuscript back from Phil this Friday or thereabouts and then I'll do a final edit of the entire book and then start laying this thing out! Actually, I've been doing some test page layout and front matter in InDesign and some more research regarding file formatting for both DriveThruFiction and Amazon's CreateSpace. They do not use the exact same formatting, so I'm looking into something that will work for both, rather than have 2 separate book layouts.

My first priority is to get the ebook into the hands of backers. I can finalize whether and when some of these locations will receive the book later. For example, Kindle Direct insists that no one else can sell the ebook (including myself) while they are selling it, but I was also considering Smashwords. So, lots of little details to wrap up.

And I still need to design the back cover of the book, which I'm hoping to start this week, if possible. We'll see. Lots on my plate, not that I mind. :D
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:27 pm

Hi all (I use the word "all" very loosely as I'm not sure anyone's reading this),

Until I get 2 people telling me to retain and maintain the Insiders Forum, I'm going to ignore it as no one is using it, sadly. That's why I stopped posting announcements on these forums as at most 1-2 people were reading them, and activity was . . . almost non-existant.

I'm hoping these forums will become much more active once our fan base begins to grow. Until then, I'll pretend as most, if not all of you, are. I'm not complaining. Apparently it's just not the right time for it.

I had planned to run contests here, have give-aways, etc. but if we don't get a decent number of people here, it's not worth doing. It just slows me down from putting out the books and rewards, and I'm sure no one wants that. So, hopefully before long, we can get all of these QT Games forums busy! The more people that know what we're doing and like it, the more we can do! So, spread the word and soon we'll see books, epubs and Lord willing, games talked about and played around here! Cheers!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Flowswithdrek » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:55 pm

I'm always lurking, Bob :D
Flowswithdrek
Gold Adept

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:32 pm

Thanks, my friend. I used to have a good number of people regularly on this site (a small number, but devoted), and then as I got busier on company matters, and they in their own lives, fewer PbP games were played here and so most wondered off. The thing is, while running several Cosmothea PbP games on this site helped a bit with traffic and fan base, it took time away from development, so it's always been a tricky balance. But actually having goodies on the market should help!

Still struggling with the ePub. I spent about 15 hours or so over the weekend wrestling with it and made very, very little progress. I'm hoping to somehow overcome some of the ebook issues this week, if possible. Making ebooks is really hard, unless the doc is all text. Worst part is, this book already looks beautiful. and ebooks, the quality only goes downhill, but I know that some readers can't handle anything but simple text. I'm experimenting with several different ways of making the ebooks and am using only the best software, but the tech just isn't there yet for doing it without headaches, except on the simplest projects. There has to be answers out there for some of these headaches, so I'll continue to look and experiment, but I'm going to have to stop soon, bite the bullet and get the printing rolling. I can't spend five months on ePub creation. I have to be able to resolve it and move on. There's still Mobi to create and other rewards. I'm sure I"ll have a breakthru soon!

Well, I hope you have a good week. Cheers!
Bob
Bob Whitely
Admin

Next

Return to Kitchen Sink