Updates Here!

Everything Else

Re: Updates Here!

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:12 am

I meant to post this a day or two ago. Life has been challenging lately with some health issues in the family and trying to wrap things up with the book. But it won't be long now...

The book is formatted and is looking great! I can't wait to get it into your hands. The proofreading still has a ways to go (both the manuscript and a review of the formatting). I have the entire book formatted and weighing in at 407 pages. The final size is 6.14 x 9.21", which will be the same for both trade paperback and hardcover.

I've finished painting the back cover and laying out both the regular and exclusive Kickstarter covers in the format required for one printer and will layout the covers for the other printer shortly (each printer has different requirements, though some overlap for both cover and internal layout).

Because you are such wonderful backers, here's eight sample pages from the book (the full-size version is much clearer, of course, but this should give you an idea. :)
Arcane-pages.jpg
Arcane-pages.jpg (378.94 KiB) Viewed 628 times

We're focusing on the ebook first, as promised, and it can be released faster than the printed books. There are still some things to iron out. As I reviewed some of my earlier research on converting the book into ebook formats I've discovered a few new issues and new tricks. The process is still convoluted despite how long ebooks have been around, with lots of opportunities for something to go wrong. InDesign has made a few improvements in ebook conversion, but I can't afford the latest version. Still reviewing all that, among other things, but I'll make sure your ebook looks great—it just might take me longer.

Fortunately, the pdf version I promised is much easier to create and looks just like the original! Some other ebook formats actually change the way the book looks, resulting in art being shifted (and sometimes being removed or otherwise altered) and other things being moved around, which is one reason why I like pdfs, but some ereaders require the other formats. If all goes well, I'll have the pdf ready for you in about two weeks.

I also offered two other formats in the Kickstarter campaign: ePub and mobi. I meant to ask you if you wanted pdf, ePub or mobi in the survey I sent you, but apparently I didn't. I will make sure to get a pdf of the book to everyone that has an ebook coming. But rather than spending time creating the other versions only to find out nobody wanted those anyway, please let me know if you want it in ePub or mobi and I'll make it happen. No worries. I aim to please and I'll eventually be converting it into those formats at some point anyway. It's just a matter of when. But I'll only do it this month if people want it.

Actually, you don't even need an ereader to read an ebook. I read ebooks on my ipad in pdf format and on my computer in pdf format and can read other formats on my computer as well. But we all have our favorite spots to read. if you want more information on ereaders and which formats work with them, you might want to read the information between the lines below, otherwise I'd jump past it if I were you.

It's really a matter of how you like to read your ebooks. Only you can answer that!
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Pdf: Viewable on almost all modern ebook readers, including Nook, All Kindles (except Kindle 1), Kobo, Sony Reader, most smartphones and tablets, Windows and Mac. It's not really an ebook format, but is more compatible with ereaders than any other and is more accurate. That said, it doesn't flow as well on small devices.

ePub: Viewable on Android and Apple iOS devices, Windows and Mac, Nook, Sony Reader, Kindle Fire (not other Kindle devices). This is a very nice format too.

Mobi: Kindle, Android and Apple iOS devices, Windows and Mac. This one is compatible with far fewer devices, but works on many popular ones as well.

I currently don't have plans to publish in other formats, but that could change one day. That list is hardly exhaustive as there's tons of ereaders, so even if your ereader wasn't listed above, it will likely work on one of these 3 popular formats. click here for more on formats and devices.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Frankly, life being what it is, there could be some delays due to some health issues my family is facing and also depending on how hard ebook conversion ends up being, but like I said, the ebook will be out very soon and Lord willing, the printed book before long!

If everyone due an ebook wants a pdf, that would get me hopping on the remaining rewards much faster—I'm talking Dead By Dawn, the Cosmoverse mini book and the $2 and up freebie I promised, The Shadow Hunter—and of course the printed book itself!

Please be sure to contact me soon if you want an epub or mobi instead of pdf and I'll work on getting those to view correctly and into your hands following proofing and the pdf creation. Thanks!

That's all for today!

Cheers,
Bob
Bob Whitely
Admin

Note:: Lord of Toonaria, Guardian of the Cosmoverse

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:24 pm

Well, things have slowed down at QT Games quite a bit—it's temporary, but it has been significant. As those who have read my last Kickstarter Update know, right in the middle of finishing formatting for the book, I've had to leave town for a family emergency.

I don't have full access to my software and the huge pile of files, but I'll be back later this week. We'll get the ball rolling again very soon! I have a pdf version almost ready to roll and would have been out by now, but I'll quickly finish it up upon my return and then start converting and fixing up the file to work well in ePub and Mobi formats for ereaders that don't use pdf. That shouldn't take more than a couple weeks or so, and then I'll submit the files to the printers. That process can take awhile, with strict submission requirements and proofing copies to make sure the book looks right in final form, but I look forward to getting that behind us and getting the books out! So, first ebooks, and then the printed books. Just need to get back to town and finish things up!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:35 am

Update #24: Short and Sweet

Hi all,

Just got back in town last night after two weeks away helping out with a family emergency. I've also just started working on a freelance art project (I have bills to pay after all and QT Games doesn't have products on the market yet). That said, I'm back to working on Arcane Synthesis and will pour as many hours into it as possible and do my very best to finish it up asap.

Joan has been proofreading the stories, front matter and other bits in my absence. She's doing a great job and will be finished soon!

I'm currently reviewing her comments on each of the stories as she finishes proofing them and have been updating the formatted InDesign file as needed, along the way.

One of the stories requires a bit more attention and we will revisit it after finishing the final proofing on the other seven stories. I don't envision this speed bump will be a large one.

Despite working on this project full-time until I left town, we're now behind schedule, but we should have the ebook out soon, starting with the pdf as promised, and then the other two formats following asap. I'll keep you in the loop on that.

This was our first Kickstarter, so I assumed there'd be a few hiccups along the way, but we've had more than our share of challenges. Even so, I think you'll be very pleased with what we've been putting together. Hopefully the freebies we've offered and generous rewards will help make up for being a little late.

Speaking of freebies, on the flight back, I spent some time editing my short story, The Shadow Hunter. There's still quite a bit of editing needed, but it's a really fun story—different than what I usually write, but I think you'll enjoy it! And of course I haven't forgotten about our mini Cosmoverse book and Dead By Dawn. Arcane Synthesis is my primary focus at QT Games and I'll be working on it until it is done, then go back and finish up the remaining goodies.

I appreciate your patience as we seek to polish up everything to bring you a great book delving into life in the Cosmoverse.

Comments? Questions? Please feel free to contact me or post in the Comments section on Kickstarter, or here in the Cosmothea Insiders Forums.

Thanks!
Bob
Bob Whitely
Admin

Previous

Return to Kitchen Sink