The Shadow Reaper

This is the place to discuss and brainstorm on upcoming QT Games fiction, including our Kickstarter projects! Help us make products that rock; products that you want to own! Dive in and let us know what you think. Thanks!

Re: The Shadow Reaper

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:30 pm

Working on another revision, post editing. Once I'm happy with the latest revision, I'll have the whole manuscript edited once again. I aim to have it all quite good before you ever read it and got some decent advice on how to make the story a little better, so I aim to continue working hard on it until it shines. :)

I'm also working on an expanded color map for the book.

Cheers!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Note:: Lord of Toonaria, Guardian of the Cosmoverse

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:03 pm

One of the things the editor said was that he would like to know more about the Cosmoverse and I didn't get into enough detail, so I'm expanding the areas he said ought to go into more depth. It's actually kind of funny as usually I go into too much detail (living with the same massive universe for around 37 years will do that to you!) I was trying to keep The Shadow Reaper fast-paced, but in doing so, I didn't add in the usual amount of backstory that he felt was important.

I agreed for the most part and so that's what I'm working on now. It's coming right along and I'm excited. It has been a lot of fun! :D

Just wish I was all done with it so I could move on to my last Kickstarter reward: Cosmoverse World Tour #0! I have piles of projects waiting on me, so I need to keep pushing forward!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Wed May 25, 2016 8:55 am

Well, I thought this was going to be a novella, but I've passed that mark, depending on what source you read. Unless I trim some out of this cool story, it falls under the "novel" definition, though it's a short novel, sitting at around 50,000 words. I'll be wrapping up my 9th draft by the end of the weekend, if all goes well. This was a post-pro editing rewrite (the editor's biggest complaint was that I didn't go into enough detail—me, mr. detail! I was trying to keep it short and sweet, but that wasn't really the best for this story, as it turns out.

So my 9th rewrite was a huge one, including expanding on characters and situations (with numerous partial rewrites all rolled into one. I have to admit it's a stronger story now. Next week, I'll decide whether it's ready to go back to the editor or whether I'll do a 10th draft. My guess is I'll do another run through top to bottom, but nothing remotely on par with what I'm almost completing. More touch up and check up pre-pass off to the editor.

It has come a long way from the 8,888 word story I wrote more than a decade ago about my award winning shadow warden creature (I reimagined the creature a little since then and now it's called a shadow reaper).

The story is now far more than I promised my backers - they aren't just getting a short story, but a novel! And it tells a lot more about the other characters and the shadow reaper, a creature that has drifted in and out of tabletop and PlaybyPost adventures over the years, one of the Cosmoverse irregulars, heh.

There's so much to writing a story and I don't think they ever truly feel finished to the writer who birthed them. One could sit on a novel and write and rewrite it for decades. All you have to do is set it down for a few weeks and pick it up again and you will find something you feel you could probably improve. Every author faces this. These are monstrous beasts. RPGs are like that too, actually.

It has been a fun ride, and I can't wait for you to read The Shadow Reaper!! But I also look forward to finishing it and getting back on my Cosmoverse World Tour book!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Wed May 25, 2016 9:07 am

If all goes as planned, I'll have Arcane Synthesis, The Shadow Reaper and Cosmoverse World Tour on Amazon by Christmas! Can't swear that will happen, but I'll do my best! My commitment is to my Kickstarter backers first and my own success second. Amazon is an important step for QT Games, but it will have to wait a bit longer. I have to focus on making the products great for them, then I can go back and format them for Kindles, etc. Still, it shouldn't be long now!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Fri May 27, 2016 10:43 am

MIke Antrim's wrap-around cover painting for The Shadow Reaper is turning out pretty sweet so far! We've been working together on conceptual design and composition. Mike's very talented and is doing a great job. His talents as an artist continue to grow. I'm going to go back in and spruce up the logo to make sure they do it justice. It's coming together—very excited!

I'm really hoping to finish the 9th major draft of the manuscript by Sunday night. I won't rush it, as that could hurt it, but I've been working on it a long time and will do my best! Have an awesome weekend my friends.

:D Bob
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:52 pm

I've had several setbacks time-wise and it will take me a few more days, likely, to finish the 9th draft. I hope it will be done this weekend for passing off to the editor.

The cover painting is coming right along. I'll try to show something before long. Cheers!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:46 pm

I should be getting a proof of the shadow reaper painting I have Mike Antrim working on. We've been going over the conceptual design and are wrapping up the painting for the cover! I'll do some more work on the logo and have all that behind me soon, hopefully!

Everything's looking good so far. Still plugging away at the 9th major draft of the manuscript (not counting rewriting some of the scenes several times). I believe in doing things right, so I take my time, but I'm also not working on it full-time (I have a day job as a commercial artist, after all!) I'd love to work on it full-time and Cosmothea too. That 5th edition of the game would have been done by now if I were! Ah well. Many cool things coming out before long, I imagine. Thanks for your patience and thanks for stopping by the forums!

Cheers,
Bob
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:46 pm

Did you read our latest Kickstarter Update on the novel? Check it out my friends!

:D Bob
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:14 am

I finished writing The Shadow Reaper novel the other day. I don't just mean 1 draft, but 9. it's been a huge project taking up most of my waking hours when not at my day job, eating or sleeping. (My wife's been very patient with me). It's about 92,000 words and loads of fun!

I am currently reviewing it and will then pass it off to her to edit (She's a pro author and pro editor and helped with my last book). Interestingly, one of the characters from Ed Greenwood's novella, The Sword Of The Lord makes an appearance and will be in the sequel (if I can manage to get around to a sequel — I have lots of cool plans for one, but have many irons in the fire as I write this, so time will tell).

A decent portion of The Shadow Reaper takes place in the same region as Sword Of The Lord, hence the crossover. As with Ed's story and everything I write, it is blended-genre (mostly science fiction and fantasy, but the The Shadow Reaper has a good deal of horror in it as well and even a touch of superheroes.) Unless you've read my work or played Cosmothea, you might be surprised just how smoothly genres can blend together. Yes, fun stuff indeed!!

I'll let you know more as we get closer to releasing it. :)
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:45 am

Happy Thursday, all!

Status update on this cool project . . .

The final manuscript is sitting at around 98,000 words and is looking pretty solid. Yeah, I'm excited, but also eager to dive into my final Kickstarter reward.

The Shadow Reaper is currently in the editor's hands and there are bound to be numerous little revisions here and there. Such are the ways of the literary world. I'll jump on those as soon as I get it back. I'm also working closely with the editor and am working 3 chapters ahead, doing one more round of proofing. Sort of a mini 10th draft of sorts, checking both developmental editing and basic copyediting. Thankfully, my editor allowed this. She is pretty easy to get along with, I must say. :)

Doing this, enabled me to get it into her hands faster, and since she's a bit busy, that means the final product will be done sooner. Currently, I'm proofing Chapter 7. She has chapters 4-6, but had to go on a trip, so she'll be pushed back a couple weeks.

I'll get the book out to backers first (it's a special gift to them, not a reward), then I'll put it up on Amazon and Drivethrufiction, in a few months, if all goes well.

Cheers!
Bob
Bob Whitely
Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Fiction Projects