The Shadow Reaper

This is all about our fiction. Help us make products that rock; products that you want to own!

The Shadow Reaper

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:52 am

My current project was called The Shadow Hunter (actually, it had yet another name when I created it). I designed in in the 90's and won 1st place in a national monster design contest by the makers of D&D.

I turned around and modified the creature and renamed it a Shadow Reaper, then a bit later changed it again to Shadow Hunter and wrote a whole story about it. This year, I revisited the tale and came up with another blended-genre tale. I blended the two tales together (they were meant to be), and it is now 3x as long and a better story that also goes into the heads of the characters a bit more.

I had already made a logo for it and announced it would be called The Shadow Hunter. That logo has been floating around for awhile now, but I always meant to go back and spruce it up a bit more before the final release.

Then I noticed that since the time I've written The Shadow Hunter, two novels and a TV series has popped up with very similar names (it kills me that I've had so many products go slow to market in the past that others have beat me to it. Thankfully, this one's quite different, like most of what I do). Well in novels, having the same name isn't so uncommon, but I still decided to toy with the name and logo, and went back to The Shadow Reaper as the official title. At least I think it's going to be official. I'll decide in the next day or two and show the logo (it's looking really cool and is almost done.) :D

The book is almost ready to drop it into the hands of a pro editor. I want to give it one last pass (that makes #6). So, I'll spend a few days doing that and unless something comes up to kill my time, I'll have this cool story into a copy editor's hands by next week sometime!

I'm very excited about The Shadow Reaper and think (and hope) you will be too. More to come!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Note:: Lord of Toonaria, Guardian of the Cosmoverse

Re: The Shadow Reaper

Unread postby Gicker » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:01 am

Sounds really exciting. Looking forward to seeing it when it goes through all the stages.
QT-Games Cosmothea Campaigns
Secrets of Cathor: Cinder OOC Thread IC Thread 3

"Adam fell that men might be, and men are, that they might have joy", Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 2:25
Gicker
Mithril Adept

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:10 am

Ah, thanks, Steve!

I can't wait to get this Kickstarter behind me. This project wasn't even a reward, but I still needed to do it as I promised. So glad I did too, as my rewrite and expansion is very cool. It has been a blast to work on, and a lot of good has come out of it, but I still need to finish the last 2 rewards.

I'm pleased that Arcane Synthesis is out there now, and what response I've gotten so far has largely been very positive. It just needs more word of mouth and more reviews (and getting it on Amazon instead of just Drivethrufiction and sister sites).

I'm very excited about The Shadow Reaper. Publishing it is going to cost me money though, so I need to turn heads with each new product so we can keep moving forward to bigger projects, like a few trilogies I want to write (and have rough drafts on other novels and a pile of short stories), board and card games, not to mention Cosmothea itself and the Cosmoverse Campaign Setting books too, of course!

Well, one can't do everything and my finances are currently limited. But I'll do my best!

Thanks for the encouragement, my friend! Have a great weekend!!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:00 pm

The 7th and final draft of The Shadow Reaper is done and I'm waiting to hear back from an editor as to whether she has time to edit it. The novella is looking very solid and I couldn't be happier with it. This one should be hitting the virtual shelves soon! If ebook sales do well, I'll release a trade paperback version, likely.

What about Dead By Dawn? That story is done and almost out the door. We're on a roll. Happy Leap Day, folks!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Gicker » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:40 pm

Cool! Looking forward to the ebook release :)
QT-Games Cosmothea Campaigns
Secrets of Cathor: Cinder OOC Thread IC Thread 3

"Adam fell that men might be, and men are, that they might have joy", Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 2:25
Gicker
Mithril Adept

Unread postby Flowswithdrek » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:25 am

Awesome News, can't wait to read Dead by Dawn :D
Flowswithdrek
Gold Adept

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:46 am

Thanks, all!

I'm in talks with an editor this weekend and hope they will be able to move forward within the next couple weeks on getting The Shadow Reaper edited.

As for Dead By Dawn, I'm told that DropBox printing doesn't work properly, so it's best to download the file before trying to print, for those who want to read a printed copy. I test printed it from Dropbox and after downloading and indeed Dropbox seems to have an issue printing from their site.

Later today, I'll have to post an update about all that. Unfortunately, I also hear a couple people have not been receiving updates, which means either their email info isn't set up right on Kickstarter (typo?), they have some setting saying not to email them turned on, or some other 3rd problem, including possibly it getting stopped in a spam folder. Who knows.

The Shadow Reaper starts out in space and then continues on and goes off in a whole 'nother direction on the surface of the ringworld, Cathor! In fact, it takes place next door to Ed Greenwood's story, Sword of the Lord!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:49 am

Actually, I wouldn't mind Ed Greenwood making a return to write another leg of the tale as the way I end the story, it could segue really well into a story using the locale and characters from his Sword of the Lord tale. I didn't use his characters in The Shadow Reaper, but reference some of them, and set things up so that another cool tale could be told if he wanted to. I don't have time to write it and the novella stands on its own. Not saying it needs a follow up tale. Just saying it would be cool to do and I have ideas for how it would go too. :D
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:40 pm

Just finalized things with the editor.

Bryan Thomas Schmidt (Ray Gun Chronicles, The Worker Prince, Abraham Lincoln: Dinosaur Hunter, The Martian, etc.) will be starting the editing process on March 10th! We're on our way! :D
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:22 pm

Bryan said he can start on the editing this Thursday. Hopefully there aren't too many changes and once he's done I can make revisions quickly and get this novella to a proofreader, then out the door! I will release it first as a pdf to backers, then start making the Kindle and mobi versions.

I need to buy some more ISBN's though. They are so expensive and I've already used up 9 out of the 10 I bought. The 10th will go on The Shadow Reaper pdf. I'm hoping next time to buy a pack of 100 ISBNs but I'm hurting on cash and need to get more reviews and sales on Arcane Synthesis!

Reviews and word of mouth helps us go the next step on getting books out the door, folks, so whatever you can do to help in that regard would be much appreciated!!!

The Shadow Reaper follows along as the crew of an exploration ship accidentally brings on board a deadly creature and takes place both on the ship, on a moon and down on the surface of Cathor, a prominent ringworld in the Cosmoverse. While on the ringworld, a shadow reaper terrorizes a small town not far from where Ed Greenwood's Sword Of The Lord novella takes place. Lots of fun stuff in this novella that you won't want to miss!! As this is a QT Games product, that means you can expect a blend of science fiction and fantasy —and in this case, more than a little horror to boot!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Next

Return to Fiction Projects