Preparing for the Kickstarter

A forum devoted to our upcoming Kickstarter!

Preparing for the Kickstarter

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:59 pm

Attn: Our Kickstarter is not live yet - we're putting it together. I'll give more details in the next day or two.

Well, it's official as you can see above! Read on, and I'll share with you what lies ahead in the near future for QT Games if all goes as planned!

QT Games is at a crossroads - well it was until very recently. Lacking both the finances and the level of public awareness of what Cosmothea is, to gain the fan base we need to publish the Cosmothea Blended-Genre Roleplaying Game, we are changing gears. Specifically, we are shifting our focus onto sharing more about the setting - the Cosmothea Universe itself, so people can get excited about it like we are! The blog is helping, but it's reach is still small. We hope in time, as we slowly develop the latest incarnation of the pen and paper RPG on the side, that both gamers and everyone who loves blended-genre stories as much as we do, will discover the RPG and fall in love with it too!

But most have never even heard of Cosmothea, even though I've been GMing Cosmothea games and writing Cosmothea stories for over 34 years now. Of course I haven't been sharing them in any serious way until very recently. And by then it was too late. The economy dropped out on us, and now we don't have the finances to go the distance. We're hoping Kickstarter and blended-genre fans and others like me, who love helping people realize their dreams, will help change all that.

I'm tired of working to death and having nothing on the market to show for it. I've written piles of stories, developed more than 2 dozen games, written and edited professionally, and we've been kicked in the shins one too many times for dumb reasons (like our economy going down the drain, taking us with it). I'm not complaining. I'm just saying I'm neither giving up, nor abandoning my life's work, but this is the right thing for us to do and it's time we make our move!

With nothing currently on the market, and Cosmothea 5.0 under heavy construction, we need to focus on what we can do right now, and get it out there. An anthology is very reasonable. I'm not talking about slopping something out! Anyone who knows me very well, knows how dedicated I am about publishing only products of very high caliber. After much brainstorming and planning, we are moving forward more effectively and in a manner that can help us reach our goals. We can't actually afford to do the anthology on our own, so we are turning to you and Kickstarter.

A high quality anthology is still far cheaper to produce than a high quality roleplaying game, but right now we need the anthology more than we need the RPG, since we need to get the word out, share our vision and inspire others, so that's what we plan to do!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Note:: Lord of Toonaria, Guardian of the Cosmoverse

Re: Preparing for the Kickstarter

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:08 am

I've spent over 200 hours studying Kickstarter campaigns, how to run one, reward options, advice from other Kickstarter creators, etc. and many additional hours talking with authors, planning, going over details, brainstorming — tons of stuff in preparation for making this happen. And I will spend many more hours doing more research and preparing for it.

I've already started working on our Kickstarter video and am naturally very excited. But I'm also very sober. It's been a lot of work so far and there's a lot more ahead, but if fierce dedication and passion for a single creative project for 34 years is any indication, I don't give up easily and I think I'm onto something hot! We're seeing this thing through till the end - not with foolish ignorance or blind faith in the product, but I've done my homework and this is the right move.

So here we are. This forum is devoted to this new direction for QT Games. We hope you'll join with us and help us make a successful Kickstarter campaign. With your input and support, we can offer great rewards, reasonable Stretch Goals, dot our i's, cross our t's and spread the word! I think you'll be pleased with what we're putting together. I'll share with you what we currently have planned for some of the rewards and such and will look forward to your valuable feedback!

I'll be using this thread to post the basics of what we're up to, and we'll create other threads for specifics like rewards, story details, etc. and of course you can create threads too so we can discuss further the various nuts and bolts for this project! And if you want to know more about what a Kickstarter is, we can tackle that too.

If you want to see an exceptional blended-genre anthology become a reality, I encourage you to get involved, to join in the fun! The other authors and I are very excited, especially since this is a very realistic, doable project we can accomplish in a reasonable period of time. Let's get this ball rollin'!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Flowswithdrek » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:44 am

Hey Bob,

You mention a kickstarter video. What will you be covering in your video? Just curious as to what you are going to squeeze in there, or how many you plan to do for the kickstarter?
Flowswithdrek
Gold Adept

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:11 pm

Flowswithdrek wrote:Hey Bob,

You mention a kickstarter video. What will you be covering in your video? Just curious as to what you are going to squeeze in there, or how many you plan to do for the kickstarter?

Great question! I've been doing a lot of research on videos and it seems the sweet spot is about 2 minutes and under. That would hardly be enough time to discuss what Cosmothea is and the anthology itself, so here's the plan:

Main video:
Introduce QT Games and the Anthology Kickstarter itself - main points, why we're doing it, why we need help from backers (and we do), and briefly mention the discount system I have planned for picking up the book at DriveThruFiction, Rewards and a Stretch Goal or two (at most) and point them to more info below, including our other video.

Secondary video: Introduce Cosmothea - what it is, what we're doing, and where we're going with it. This will be longer than the first video. We'll likely end up using this video elsewhere also - likely on our website homepage and maybe we'll eventually create a Youtube account and put it on there (eventually along with some playtest videos, perhaps) or start up a podcast at some point (again - down the road).
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:15 am

Just finished both a preliminary logo for the book cover and the intro for the video (I needed to make a logo for the video anyway and for some reasons I won't bore you with, I needed to finish the intro early, so this logo I made and animated in the video will work fine). If needed, I'll revise the logo for the final cover. (Btw, the background is not part of the logo).

Arcane-Synthesis-logo.jpg
Arcane-Synthesis-logo.jpg (158.82 KiB) Viewed 2036 times
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:13 pm

(Warning, the QT Games homepage now has sound. Not sure how to both show the picture and delay it from playing so that you can decide to play it or not, or give you enough time to turn sound off if you want to. I know those can be controlled. Just not sure how yet. Anyone know?)

Does this intro to the main video look Ok?

This video segment would be followed immediately with me giving an introduction to everything - this is just a snippet from a larger video for Kickstarter. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks. :D
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Pippa » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:19 am

First part could use something more - if you insist on using just the two characters, instead of showing more stuff, I'd let the camera travel over the artwork from close-by or so, or something else that has a bit of movement. It's quite static with just this couple centered, standing there but nothing happening.
...Effectively putting the 'cutie' in 'QT-Games'...!
Pippa
Eternal! Forum Guide! Caption Contest Winner!

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:33 am

Thanks, Pippa. I was wondering about that. I can't afford to spend any more time than I have to show those 3 pics - I and am going to devote a whole vid showing off art and talking about the setting, and time is very tight on the main video (90 -120 seconds), but perhaps showing 3 different characters together in one static, or something, then spending 3x as long on that 1 pic, might be better.

Something has to just sit there static, of course, until the vid is started. I'd actually forgotten that and was just going for the Marvel approach of having pics fly by like flipping through pages of a comic. Then I realized afterwards that it would be just sitting there and left it. See, I am using plugins to my After Effects that will expire shortly, and I can't afford to buy them. They are just trials, though I own After Effects itself. But I think I have enough time to adjust the static pic. Maybe put in the superhero, shaper and 1 high tech career in the same pic.i don't think I need any words though, as there's always a title above the vid and the static shoud be interesting enough on ts own to look at.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:56 am

I don't care for being rushed, but I think it turned out great considering I only had a 14 day trial and have had other things on my plate (fortunately, after this intro part, I can do the rest with just After Effects, taking my time). If I can try out another plugin like Trapcode, and if it would look good doing so, I might do that elsewhere. I still need to set up the intro to the second video. Hopefully one day I'll be able to afford buying Particle Illusion and Trapcode! Thing is, I need a final video in the 14 day window as it will never render properly after the trial, so I have to render the intro separately as I have (and then it's permanent until I buy Particle Illusion). Speaking of which, if I can squeeze the time, I'd like to adjust the banner at the top of the page, which also requires particle Illusion. Yikes - time crunch!

How about this as the static? I've got a little time left on the trial to do something with it, but if I have to, I can work around the time limit and use After Effects only for the first couple seconds. I was thinking something simple like starting with the images much larger (well, I can only go so large before they get chunky), but up close and then pan back fast to show them standing there, perhaps with some atmospheric effects in the background (only if I can do it in the next couple days).

Btw, the static Arcane Synthesis logo at the end won't actually be there - the vid will switch at that point and I'll discuss the Kickstarter, but for the website, I didn't want it to just fade out and be blank.

Also, the image you see on the screen on the website is not part of the video, but a background image dropped into the cell so that the page wouldn't start off with a blank. It won't match up 100% to the same image when the video starts playing as it is larger than the image in the video, in order to display the controls at the bottom (again, this won't be an issue with the Kickstarter). I might be able to tweak that too, by adding more blue around them, so they don't get enlarged. That I have time to play with.
trio.jpg
trio.jpg (212.36 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:33 am

Unfortunately, I need to have a static picture - I can't just start off the video however I want, because it needs to look good when the vid isn't playing too. Fortunately, I've got some great art for it that I've already invested in (that being yours and Jason's of course)! And other great art for the second vid!

For this one, I'd have each character fly in from off the camera to form that pic, but then because I need a static shot, that wouldn't work as it would then start blank. So, they'll have to start in that pose and then maybe I can zoom in on them.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Next

Return to Arcane Synthesis: A Blended-Genre Anthology (Kickstarter)