Rewards for Backers

A forum devoted to our upcoming Kickstarter!

Re: Rewards for Backers

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:16 pm

Still doing heavy research on locations to print high quality posters in the size we'll need, as well as cloth and canvas prints. I'm starting to lean more and more toward a roll up cloth or canvas poster of the Cosmoverse, instead of a traditional poster, because it's 24"x36" and not everyone has space for that. A cloth map can be tossed on the gaming table for people to check things out and then rolled up and tucked away.

Which would you rather have - a big poster for the wall or a rolled up cloth or canvas map?

And, if you know where I can get one made - a reliable place with high quality printing, that'd be great. I have spent so many hours pouring over each reward and the various factors that go into deciding which location is the right one. More research to go - not lazy, but I just figured I'd toss it out there, in case any of you know where such things can be made (good quality is always more important to me than price, but price is a factor too, since people won't want them if they are too pricey). Thanks!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Note:: Lord of Toonaria, Guardian of the Cosmoverse

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:44 pm

Does anyone own a cloth map? Are they worth doing? Anyone own a canvas map? Are the colors dull, vibrant, or? I'm looking into several options, but as with everything we do, we want the highest quality we can get and believe others will be willing to pay at least a tad more to get something of quality, fit for their wall or gaming table.

A vinyl mat map might be an option as well. It would definitely be rollable, printing should be pretty clean, since they are smooth surfaces, and I don't think vibrant colors are supposed to be an issue. It might not have the same appeal as a cloth or canvas map, but if canvas can't be vibrant and cloth can't have excellent detail (neither am I sure about one way or the other yet), then vinyl is definitely another option worth considering.

There are two sorts of people, at least, that would want something like this - gamers to use the map during gaming, but Cosmothea isn't currently on the market, and people reading Arcane Synthesis and future QT Games' books and would enjoy being able to refer to the map. A 3rd type would be people that just love maps, like I do!

I value your time and desire to put together the coolest projects for you. Let me hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Updated: 9:14 PST
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:22 pm

Another idea is a small, digital art book of Cosmothean art with anecdotes - background on the art and snippets about how they came to be or secrets or interesting tidbits about them. Snatches about the artists and setting as it relates to the images contained.

Long ago, I talked with the great artists on Team Cosmothea for our 4.0 edition and we all agreed it would be a cool idea to put out a coffee table-styled artbook called, "Tour of Cosmothea". Now, this would not be that project (I'm trying to put out an anthology, after all, and while I do hope to put out that tome one day - including even more art than my videos are showing, I'm talking about a smaller project. Perhaps even 2 art books, but both small, maybe 15-20 pictures in each. This is really just a seed right now. I'd have to think about it a lot more, but I'd like to get your input. Would something like this appeal to you guys as a reward?

Let me know. Thanks! :D
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:25 pm

Ragnarok wrote:Hey Bob, what about the idea of some kind of travel postcards showing off various locations around Cosmothea or creatures? I saw something like that sort of, on a Kickstarter the other day. People wouldn't have to actually mail them - they can collect them.

Postcards, huh? Not a bad idea, Ragnarok. What do the rest of you think?
As for the tote bag size, let me get back with you on that, Ragnarok. I'm looking into a few different ones currently.

I know I just suggested doing an art book, but we really don't want to do a ton of non-anthology rewards as fulfillment takes a chunk of time, and I want to focus on the anthology as much as possible, of course. I also want to try to do rewards that would be less of a headache and eat less of the money that we could use to make the anthology better. But right now, I'm trying to look at all angles, so people... please keep the feedback coming - and let me hear from more of you. This is your anthology and these are your rewards. Let's make something awesome, folks!!!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:26 pm

As for the digital art book we could do one or two. Here's the seed - we can brainstorm and expand the concept further. I'm not saying we'd have 2 books, but I'm just thinking out loud here:

Art Book 1
The Theme is basically - here's pics from my 2 week vacation in the Cosmoverse, with a picture for every day of the vacation, including anecdotes, stories, behind the scenes info, secrets, descriptions, etc. for each picture. It could either be done like a travel book of sorts, or as a journal or something.
Page Count: 20 pages approx?

Art Book 2
The Theme: Lost in the Cosmoverse: a 30 Day Journey. So, this one would be twice as big approximately, with the same sort of stuff as Book 1, except (maybe) it's a character who walks through a gate and finds themselves in this other universe and tells what happen, describing things along the way (many of the same sorts of bits including anecdotes, stories, behind the scenes info, secrets, descriptions, etc., but it can either be essentially including all of the 2 weeks, but include a full month or it can be a whole different set of paintings, etc.
Page Count: 40 pages approx?

What do you think? Would you like to have something like this as a digital book? I'm not saying we'd never do a printed book, but that's more involved and costs more. I'm trying to keep the Kickstarter Funding goal down. Thoughts?
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Flowswithdrek » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:03 am

Postcards would be a good memento from the Kickstarter - As suggested travel postcards or perhaps creatures with accompanying stats? Then they would have a viable use and if you had a surplus they would have a better resale potential. A cloth map would be great, I don't have one but I know it would look sweet. Poster maps get messed up easy if you actually use them, but cloth maps would distress better and get that antique look after a while.
Flowswithdrek
Gold Adept

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:16 am

I agree, Allen. My only concern is just how good of a printing job can you do on cloth? Maybe excellent - I'm still trying to sort that out. I will say nearly all the comments I found online regarding cloth maps was an overwhelming excitement for them. Of course a star map is futuristic and cloth reminds you of the past, so it's natural that people would get more excited about a cloth map of some fantasy world. Even so, it might just be the ticket!

There's also a process to print on cloth stretched across thin foam (kind of like a giant mouse pad). Not sure how big a tube one would need to roll it in though. That's a concern, plus the weight. I want something easy.

I did find out that you can print on this microfiber stuff and get decent detail, but it's uber thin and I don't know if it wrinkles bad or not. It's the same type of material you can clean glasses with, and ironically, while they advertise you can put maps on it, they also then say you can turn around and wipe your forehead, clean your glasses or the window on your car.

I have seen the maps they've printed on them, though only online - they are decent quality and it was invented so a climber could shove the map in their pocket and keep going. But I think we'll want something thicker.

Right now, I'm leaning toward cloth - if we can make sure the colors are vibrant enough and it can have good detail, otherwise vinyl. Posters are only good if framed and that would be ideal for some and inconvenient to others. I suppose anyone could frame vinyl if they wanted to. Here's a linkto a company that sells vinyl maps for gaming. People seem to like them, but I wish I could actually see one. But I don't know where they get them printed at. I found a couple places.

There's still banner material to consider and also canvas. One company said canvas wasn't very vibrant. I would only want banner material if the weave was very tight and the printing very clean. So far it keeps coming back to the vinyl. I've heard you need to cover them in a sleeve to minimize heat damage with the ink, but they are said to print clean. Also not sure about the shelf life. Anyone out there have experience with any of these products that could shed some light on the picture?
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:38 am

Since you can get great detail on T-Shirts using some printing processes, I have no doubt you can get great detail on cloth - if they use the right cloth and the right printing processes. And unless you spill something on it, you shouldn't need to be washing it more than once, if ever. I'm not sure what the edges look like, but they'd need to be a very clean, straight and short hem.

Well, I suppose canvas IS cloth, but I think it's closer to paper, isn't it? Like densely woven cloth or a paper-like product made from cloth or something?

Allen, we had over 50 visitors last night at one point and I'm grateful for them, but surely someone has owned a cloth map or knows about one of these things. Do speak up please, anyone, if you know. The reason I'm researching like mad is to make a product that you would get excited about. It's in everyone's best interest (if they like blended genre, star maps, etc. and what we're doing, to get involved. Thanks in advance!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Flowswithdrek » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:59 pm

Hi Bob,

I know you can buy A4 sheets of cloth that go through an InkJet printer that gives good results, though you would probably be looking for something bigger. Canvas is like anything, it probably depends on the quality. You can get really good quality on canvas, my friend has some large canvases of the photos we took on our trip to Yosemite and the quality is stunning.
Flowswithdrek
Gold Adept

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:16 pm

That's good to hear, regarding quality, Allen. The size of our map is 24" x 36" and the printers I've seen thus far, don't give much detail at all regarding cloth type or quality. I need to finalize costs prior to starting the Kickstarter, but I can't really afford to have an unfinished map test printed at various locations. Some of the places are charging $40+ so that's one of the reasons I'm trying to get input from others.
Bob Whitely
Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Arcane Synthesis: A Blended-Genre Anthology (Kickstarter)