Rewards for Backers

A forum devoted to our upcoming Kickstarter!

Re: Rewards for Backers

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:33 pm

Contacted a game company that puts out mats last night and made Mantic Games' Deadzone mat, and just heard back. Here's a look at the fabric and foam mat they told me about. Waiting to hear more info on this option! Looks like they can get good detail and my contact says they can print vibrant colors.

Mat material:
Deadzone-Gaming-Mat-Close-Up.jpg
Deadzone-Gaming-Mat-Close-Up.jpg (72.06 KiB) Viewed 1355 times

According to Mantic, It rolls up. – Doesn’t crease when it’s folded. – Doesn’t slip off the table. – It’s durable – you won’t get any tearing or fraying.

Regarding the vinyl mat: My contact over at CorSec Engineering told me that vinyl mats don't have a long shelf life and can deteriorate somewhat. I actually still have a Chessex vinyl mat that I bought like 20 years ago, and while it isn't in the best shape, it is still in pretty good shape, I have to say, but I don't know if all vinyl mats are created equal either.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Note:: Lord of Toonaria, Guardian of the Cosmoverse

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:12 pm

I got word back on the Micro Fiber Cloth maps and they are very reasonably priced and can be done at the large size we need. But you have to buy 100 at a time, unfortunately. They are not like the Ultima and Skyrim cloth maps, I don't think. Or like the popular Dark Sun map of old. They are also very thin, somewhat like silk, but print very nice and hold printing well, even when washed, I'm told. I'd rather have more options than I need, rather than not enough.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:43 pm

Flowswithdrek wrote:Postcards would be a good memento from the Kickstarter - As suggested travel postcards or perhaps creatures with accompanying stats? Then they would have a viable use and if you had a surplus they would have a better resale potential. A cloth map would be great, I don't have one but I know it would look sweet. Poster maps get messed up easy if you actually use them, but cloth maps would distress better and get that antique look after a while.

Thanks for your thoughts. I think a poster would have to be framed or at least put on a wall near the gaming table or one's favorite reading chair for reference. Those that want the poster just because they like maps would probably frame it, at least in one of those movie poster frames, which are very reasonably priced.

Those that like maps and want to reference it while reading Arcane Synthesis and later our other novels and anthologies, will also likely frame it or pin it up. I think the only ones that would far prefer it on cloth or rolled would be those that don't have room for a large pic on their wall or those that want it at the gaming table, but since Cosmothea isn't on the market yet, it's more a matter of do they have room for it on a wall, and want it on a wall.

Those who realize Cosmothea's potential and want to play the game in the future will still likely want it rolled up or whatever by the gaming table. So, we may want to print it both ways - as a poster and on cloth of some sort or possibly the cloth covered pad/mat. Cloth is probably the direction we're going in - so some on cloth and some on poster paper, but It's not carved in stone, and I'd really like to hear more input on all this - especially if anyone's owned these different types of stock.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:20 pm

I like the postcards too, though I can see people collecting the postcards just to have them. I'm not so sure they need anymore purpose than that. We could do some with stats, but as the game isn't out yet, and more changes could come before it does, I'm hesitant to do stats just yet. They could have information on them about the setting, however. Oh, like we could show part of a world map on a postcard and then on the back, a description of the region. Maybe even do it so that if you put the postcards together, they'd form an entire region. That might be cool, huh! Let's talk more about this. Time is starting to run out on putting this thing together, so we need to start finalizing things.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Ragnarok » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:25 pm

Art books? Count me in. Way in. You must be getting excited Bob. January will be hear soon. :)
Ragnarok

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:31 pm

Hi Ragnarok. Yes, I am excited - all of us are that are working on the project! Still much to do yet, however.

After reviewing the project, I have decided to pull the giant star map from the campaign and save it for a future campaign, likely when we do our first RPG book as I think we'll get more requests for it, and there's a minimum number of pads I can print. I think it will make a great Kickstarter Reward in a future campaign and it's going to be very pretty (I've been making some nice progress on it!) Ultimately, the choice came down to what I think the largest number of people will pledge for and I think more will want the other rewards at this point, at least until our fan base grows more.

Thanks all for your input. Let's keep it coming, please, so we can nail down the final reward list!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Ragnarok » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:18 pm

That's too bad about the star map being taken down, but I understand you'd have to buy them in quantities. Maybe you can bring them back as an add-on later, if you get a lot of pledgers. I hope you do because the project is going to be great from what I can tell, Bob! Good luck with it.
Ragnarok

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:10 am

Thanks, and there's good news, Ragnarok! We are indeed bringing the star map back, but as a pdf so that readers and gamers alike can view the star map on their computers! That should be very useful and it's fun to look at to boot! Now, I still hope to actually make it available for print later, but that will be down the road.

Every Reward we offer has to be weighed against how much it costs to manufacture and how many are likely to want it. Sadly, most people don't know a lot about Cosmothea yet, so due to it's cost, size and awareness level, we figured it would make a great printed prize later when more people have fallen in love with the setting. But a big pdf map will be a great addition to the Kickstarter!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby ThanosRex » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:11 pm

Glad to hear you'll be able to use the star map after all. I'm looking forward to the anthology. Spill more beans about it when you can. Thanks.
ThanosRex

Unread postby Than » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:09 am

Well I entered my 40 words (Two sentences).

Have fun with it !
Also know in other places as: Jason S, Commander Bo, Silverwolf. I am British and Swiss but working in the Czech Republic. I create Art and Software.
Than
Gold Adept

PreviousNext

Return to Arcane Synthesis: A Blended-Genre Anthology (Kickstarter)