Rewards for Backers

A forum devoted to our upcoming Kickstarter!

Rewards for Backers

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:17 pm

Hi all,
I've been researching Kickstarter like crazy, including talking with other creators who have run Kickstarter Campaigns, and while I'm still crunching numbers and creating Rewards, I thought I'd put up a thread so that you can toss your two cents into the ring as to what sorts of awards would interest you for the anthology project. There are numerous factors that go into selecting the right rewards for a project. It's actually quite complicated, which is why I'm taking my time with it - everything about Kickstarter is fairly complicated, but it's a great system and creators that take their time to do it right increase their odds of success. So while I may not use every reward idea presented on this thread, I will carefully consider each one!

Here's some of the rewards currently planned (though again, nothing's in stone quite yet, and they will be at various price points, mix and matched, often with higher Rewards including the lower ones. Basically the more you pledge the more goodies you get):
Misc:
• Early Bird discounts on certain Rewards (It won't be something no one else can get, but you will get it at a cheaper price).
• Cosmothea wallpaper set (6 wallpapers).
• Being listed in the Supporters section of the book for your contribution as a Backer.
• 2 custom bookmarks (1 for Arcane Synthesis and 1 for the Cosmothea Campaign Setting).
• T-shirts with Cosmothea imagery on it.

The Book itself:
• eBook in 3 formats (PDF, Mobi and ePub)
• Access to a printed copy of the book in various formats using POD. Note, to save everyone some money and also get things done faster, these will be physical copies of the book, but access to the POD books at cost. One of the advantages of this method is international backers in particular, can get the books at cheaper prices since we can print and ship from the UK in addition to US. But there are several advantages to this unusual method of handling POD books at Kickstarter. I'll fully describe it on the campaign page and likely here, since it is still uncommon and fairly new.

Artwork:
• Artwork - several options here, including archive quality giclée art prints of the book cover, a limited edition alternate giclée art print for the cover and a beautiful star map showing major areas of the campaign setting. We might include multiple sizes on some of the art rewards as well as some pdf options for lower tiers.

Character or world related:
• Ability to submit character names and character summaries for inclusion as a cameo in one of the stories.
• Ability to submit a character profile for inclusion as a minor character in either our next anthology, Divine Synthesis, or in my upcoming novel: A Strange Acquaintance, the backer will work with the author for a reasonable inclusion in the story.
• Ability to submit star names and even planet summaries for the official canon star map that could be used in the upcoming RPG and could appear in future stories. I already have a star map, but I can always add more planets. It's a great way to get your homebrew or idea on an official, published map!

Review:
• Fiction submission review. The editors will provide detailed feedback on X number of words from your manuscript to help you on your own way toward publication.
• Board, card or RPG game review with detailed feedback to help a designer on their way toward publication.

Retailers:
• Special price points for retailers that don't include the little freebies, just printed copies, since that's all they need.
(Traditionally with Kickstarter, there doesn't seem to be a lot of retailer support of Kickstarter projects, but we'll do our best with it, in case some brick and mortar is interested in our cool project)
• Listing a URL to your store website in the book and/or site.

I've gotten price quotes from various sources on most of the above, and am still researching. That is all of the rewards I currently have in mind, and again, these aren't the actual Reward listings - this is the result of my brainstorming, pricing and research. We may need 1-3 more rewards, at least for the higher Reward tiers (maybe some more fun intangible goodies, but I haven't thought of any more yet - I want to offer really great things for every reward). I'm trying to keep it all fairly straightforward, however, and not too bad on shipping costs as that eats a lot of money.

The plan is to keep the descriptions clean and easy to identify. Have I missed any cool, reasonable rewards we ought to include? I'm trying my best to keep the costs down across the board, especially regarding shipping, but we may need another couple rewards or tweaks to existing ones (the above is not a list of the exact rewards - as I said, there will be some mix and match, like bookmark plus 2 wallpapers and recognition in the Supporters section for a low reward) - stuff like that. Thoughts?
Bob Whitely
Admin

Note:: Lord of Toonaria, Guardian of the Cosmoverse

Re: Rewards for Backers

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:32 am

We'll need quite a range of rewards. In my Excel sheet, I've got these various goodies split up and am still researching and planning as I said, but we've got a good spread across all the lower tiers, it seems. I'll know for sure soon, but where we are slowing down is in having higher end tiers. Why do we need higher end tiers? Because people might want to pledge higher and if you don't have the tier, they might not pledge at all or pledge lower, costing you money essentially.

That said, we won't be going above $1.000 and might very well not go above $500, unless I can think up a great, relevant reward (or series of rewards) that I think people will like. Right now I don't even have a $500 reward. I've been focusing on the majority of backers, which tend to pledge around $25, $50, $75 and $100. There's a fairly popular tier around $10-$15 as well. $250 and $500 also have a certain amount of popularity among smaller numbers. But our goal is to offer up desirable rewards, but not at the cost of lowering the book's value. I've been looking at a lot of projects, so I'm not coming out of left field struggling with all this. I'm doing my homework, but I just thought you might like to participate and I value your input.

We'll have some goodies starting at $1 (the minimum for any Kickstarter pledge) and up from there using the above rewards and perhaps a couple more, if deemed appropriate. We'll be aiming to provide the best bang for the buck all the way around. We want everyone walking away very pleased they were involved and as many of them getting a hot book in their hands and excited about future ones to come. :D
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:47 am

To clarify a point I made earlier, we want to "keep things straight forward," so if it gets too confusing or too complicated, we will simplify the rewards somewhat, but always with an eye toward giving the backers value for their money. The goal of the Kickstarter isn't getting rich, but to get the money we need to get a great book on the market and make sure that Backers at all pledge levels get some goodies they will enjoy (and of course we want all Rewards to be relevant to what QT Games is all about.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:40 pm

Ok, people. No one is saying zip. I'd love your input. What sorts of rewards do you think would be crazy cool to have? I know you'd love a set of wallpapers and some of the other goodies above, but we might need more goodies, and I'd really like to hear what you are interested in! Coffee Mugs with Cosmothean imagery and "Blend to Taste" or something else on 'em? I dunno. Let me know your thoughts, thanks! And to you hundreds of visitors I keep catching checking out this site all day long, thanks so much for visiting, but please don't be shy. Let me know your thoughts too! Thanks all! :D
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:21 pm

Mugs might be cool - especially the really nice coffee mugs, but I don't know if you can customize those or not.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Ragnarok » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:46 pm

I'd love a high quality coffee mug, but no idea either on customization. You can do regular coffee cups, but they aren't as special. Might break during shipping too, but a coffee mug might work as long as the image shows up well.
Ragnarok

Unread postby Flowswithdrek » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:45 pm

What about one of those coffee mugs that reveals an image when it has hot liquid in it? I would be cool to see the embrace the blend logo appear as the mug is filled. I don't know how practical a suggestion it is, but its a suggestion all the same :D
Flowswithdrek
Gold Adept

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:08 pm

I actually own one of those. It is a star wars mug and when filled with hot water, they transport out. It was kind of neat, but I think it had some limitations. It was all 1 color, I think, and while hot, there is no image on it. Something like that. Or rather, just a hint of an image. I'd have to see it again. It's an old mug.

Speaking of mugs though, here's an example (I just tossed pics on 'em to show they can have pics. For example - that's not even the official logo for QT Games - this is just to get a sense for things):
supermug.png
supermug.png (111.85 KiB) Viewed 1820 times

logomug.png
logomug.png (120.26 KiB) Viewed 1794 times

They are stainless steel with a white finish and black trim. 15 oz mugs.

Here's something else I mentioned earlier - tote bags (for your QT Games novels and game books. ;))
Again, I'd make the tote nicer. This is just a rough sample.
tote.png
tote.png (94.85 KiB) Viewed 1796 times

Any interest? If not, what sort of rewards would you like to see?
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Ragnarok » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:35 pm

Everyone can use a coffee cup, so that might be the right direction to go in, Bob. I've never owned a tote, but it might be a good reward too. What size is it or I guess it can probably come in different sizes or no?
Ragnarok

Unread postby Ragnarok » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:03 pm

Hey Bob, what about the idea of some kind of travel postcards showing off various locations around Cosmothea or creatures? I saw something like that sort of, on a Kickstarter the other day. People wouldn't have to actually mail them - they can collect them.
Ragnarok

Next

Return to Arcane Synthesis: A Blended-Genre Anthology (Kickstarter)