Progress Reports on Arcane Synthesis

A forum devoted to our upcoming Kickstarter!

Progress Reports on Arcane Synthesis

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:32 pm

I created this thread in case any of you are wondering what the absolute latest is on this project. I'll be very brief with these posts unless someone asks a question, and use other threads for more detailed information.

This has been an exciting and exhausting week thus far...
1. I've been in negotiations with a few wonderful authors over the past several days. The business end of writing and game design is likely much involved than some realize.

2. I've also been bouncing between several forums and groups picking up tips, discussing Kickstarter issues, helping others with their Kickstarter projects and analyzing Kickstarter projects. All of this is very time-consuming, but does help maximize my knowledge in the topic and gives a little back to the community as well.

3. Hard at work on our first Kickstarter video. It's coming along nicely so far, but there's much to do still.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Note:: Lord of Toonaria, Guardian of the Cosmoverse

Re: Progress Reports on Arcane Synthesis

Unread postby Ragnarok » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:06 am

Thanks for the update Bob. Looks like it's coming right along!
Ragnarok

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:59 pm

Thanks for your thoughts, Ragnarok!

Most of the focus on the Kickstarter and the 2 videos I'm making, is all on the Cosmothea Campaign Setting. Cosmothea is an RPG too, of course, but the setting is big enough and the anthology has more to do with it, so that's where the lion share of the focus will be.

The mechanics were designed to enable the vision of the setting. Even so, I'll spend plenty of time on that later. I'll probably make a video just for the mechanics side of things, hopefully sooner, rather than later. I'm almost done with the setting video (hopefully by the end of the weekend, if all goes well), and then I'll go back and start working on the first video again.

I might make a 3rd video, largely about the magic system, since Cosmothea's magic system is so different from others on the market. it's really our brightest star, I think. That video will likely be jammed pack with other goodies as well!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Ragnarok » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:44 am

I understand why you are focusing on the setting right now. Makes sense.

Still looking forward to hearing more about the Cosmothea Roleplaying Game though, when you get a chance. I really need to check out your blog more. I know you said you talk about the RPG there, but I'm hoping you'll post more on it here too.
Ragnarok

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:07 pm

Hi all,

Looks like I'm 99% done on our biggest video - it is 1 of 3 I think I'll likely be doing. I'll have it done by tomorrow. It is all about the Cosmothea setting, to help people get a better grasp of what it is and to help get them excited for reading the cool stories we're putting together for this anthology. I'm still far from being done with the other 2 videos, but we'll get there. :D

When I finish the big Cosmothea video, I'll put it up somewhere for you to check out. Eventually, I'll put it up on the Kickstarter site too, once the campaign is ready to roll. It may have to be shrunk down in file size for Kickstarter though. No big. Fun stuff and more to come!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Flowswithdrek » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:40 pm

Can't wait to get a peek at it!
Flowswithdrek
Gold Adept

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:17 am

Thanks. :D

Good news - it's all done! Video 2, that is, and that's the biggest one of the 3. Took a pile of hours. Made some new artwork for it, but also included a large amount of existing Cosmothea art, of course, since the anthology is all about Cosmothea. It will be a huge sneak peek for the general public - all part of QT Games commitment to transparency. Hopefully it will generate more interest in this exciting project!

All that's left now is to make sure the vid is exported appropriately for the internet (right now, it's past my bedtime). I should it sorted out sometime on Friday and get it online on a test page for now. It's not perfect (as with game design, setting design, writing novels and just about anything else, at some point, you just have to say, "It's done"), but I think it turned out pretty nifty overall! Lots of fun art, tasteful animation bits and remixed music and sound effects. It helps that I'm an artist and had a bunch of great artists working with me as well over the years! That means a pretty video! Yay!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:11 pm

Ok, a bit more editing and I think I'll be able to replace the video on the home page with a fully-featured one all about Cosmothea! Well, it doesn't cover everything, but it talks about the setting and shows off lots of pretty pics, so it should be a nice addition to the site, and give newcomers a little better understanding of just what Cosmothea is! The anthology will help even more in that regard, of course (and be a fun read to boot!)

Once I finish the last few touches and upload the vid, I can start on the second video about Cosmothea, both of which will also appear on the Kickstarter campaign page. And then I'll finish the main video for the top of the Kickstarter page. I'm doing it last, because it requires filming and currently I'm having fun with the animation bits that show up mainly in the two "About Cosmothea" vids. :D

Have a great weekend all!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Ragnarok » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:27 am

You mentioned 2 videos for Cosmothea alone. What's the difference between them? Will there be more after those 2 or are you stopping there? You could always do a Youtube channel or podcast or something.
Ragnarok

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:07 pm

Ragnarok wrote:You mentioned 2 videos for Cosmothea alone. What's the difference between them? Will there be more after those 2 or are you stopping there? You could always do a Youtube channel or podcast or something.

Heya Ragnarok.

The first video is an overview of the Cosmothea Campaign Setting. It features a lot of artwork that reveals a bit more about what's happening in the universe broadly. Some basic concepts and also talks about it's trinity nature - how it presents 3 different types of experiences. Such as being able to play Cosmothea as if it is a single-genre setting, because there are worlds that are just purely one kind of genre.

Others could play Cosmothea as if it's a multi-genre setting, but more like a single genre in that there is a mainstream way life seems to work and then suddenly and unusually, there is a brief overlap (according to the frequency and manner that a GM would want it to happen), such as in the movie Cowboys and Aliens.

Normally, the cowboys don't have any aliens around. Their world is based on ours - we don't see aliens running around. Then suddenly there is a storyline in which there is overlap, but it is not the natural order of things, at least not for the inhabitants. it is a controlled crossover.

The third experience is the one I like most, and that's where there isn't a crossover persay, but rather a normality that just so happens to be from various genres coexisting - that's what I call blended-genre.

Anyway, the video gives some examples of the sorts of things that could happen, gives some hints as to the history and state of the universe.

Video 2 is in its infancy (I'm almost done with final editing of Video 1 on Cosmothea, so everyone will be able to see that for themselves shortly). Video 2 will talk some about the magic system in Cosmothea which is quite something. Sadly, I don't have much art to show that off. I wish I did, but hopefully I'll be able to describe it well.

One day, I'll have a budget again and get all the paintings done, but that video will have art. I'll mention each of the races and show their paintings and perhaps talk a bit about the mechanics. I only have so many paintings and they don't all describe what I want to discuss in Video 2. Maybe I'll show some monsters too. Still laying it all out, so maybe I'll include some other goodies too. We'll see. I only have so much time, too. I can always expand or create other videos later, as time permits.

But I think these videos will be very helpful and with all the stories I have planned, people will eventually have an intimate understanding and hopefully appreciation for Cosmothea, my life's work! :D
Bob Whitely
Admin

Next

Return to Arcane Synthesis: A Blended-Genre Anthology (Kickstarter)