Progress Reports on Arcane Synthesis

A forum devoted to our upcoming Kickstarter!

Re: Progress Reports on Arcane Synthesis

Unread postby warp9 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:21 am

Bob Whitely wrote:Hi Rob,

Sorry for any confusion. This update is before the latest one which says I'm going to replace the latest pdf, and it's before I found 2 more problems with the ebook file the other day (though the problem isn't one for either the pdf or ePub Fixed Layout version, only the free flowing version. The new problem will take me many hours to fix before I can do the freeflowing one or Mobi.

Anyway, bottom line: I haven't had time to make a new pdf yet, though I've fixed the missing page thing and a couple typos and did some more ebook research, which led to me finding more problems. I will issue a new link to the new pdf hopefully Monday night, or thereabouts. Thanks for your patience!

Hi Bob,

Got the new update and everything is great! :D
warp9
Gold Adept

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:50 am

Hiya Rob!

Thanks! Well, I've put in about 5 hours over the past 2 days trying to get a decent ePub out of Indesign, and tweaking it in Calibre. I found problems with the earlier one I didn't know about and I have tons of reformatting I have to do for Reflowable and Mobi, but no such luck getting the FXL ePub correct. It looks mostly right and pretty, but the TOC isn't working well and it has little glitches in it. Still researching what others have done to fix the problems. If I have to—in the interim at least, is provide 2 ePub files, each with half the book in it as those work better, since InDesign can't handle exporting the book in one shot. (It's the pasting of the book back together that's not working right).

Anyway, I appreciate you caring and as it's well past my bedtime, I'm off, but I'll work on it again over the weekend. Need to wrap this up and move forward!

Cheers!
Bob
Bob Whitely
Admin

Note:: Lord of Toonaria, Guardian of the Cosmoverse

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:05 pm

As many of you know, I've moved on to printing the books. The ebooks were a nightmare with program crashes and glitches (it's mostly coding issues and I'll resolve it, but too many dozens of hours were spent trying to make the ebooks with little success). So, we'll print the books, get them out to backers and come back around to the ebook creation.

Sadly for books with significant formatting concerns, even InDesign CC can't quite handle it well for fixed layout ePubs and coding needs to be fixed afterwards in Calibre, which is a far from perfect program (though useful). So, once the books are at the printers being reviewed for print issues (itself somewhat time-consuming), I'll be able to address other rewards and start getting things knocked out.

Ebooks have been a huge headache and really slowed us way down, so it will be nice to get the books out there! I'll do more research on the ebook format issues and see what others are saying about the problem. If I can just get InDesign to not crash on export things will be lightyears better!

I'll sort it out. Just glad to be moving forward! I'm going over all the files with a fine-toothed comb for potential printing issues as the cost of proofs is considerable and there's lots that can go wrong. Hopefully by June we'll have all the books in backers' hands and be well on our way with ebooks!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:06 pm

It has been slow going, but I'm hoping this weekend to make much progress on the book. Last night I was reviewing Createspace submission policy and made little tweaks to the Createspace version of the book's cover file both in Illustrator and Preflight in Adobe Acrobat. Still a few more tweaks to do tonight then I'll preflight the print file and send it off for review.

There are an amazing number of nuances in the whole process (and Createspace isn't identical to Lightning Source, which itself is divided up into Ingram, a division that tackles small press).

Anyway, still plugging away and dying to see the books in print. Soon, Lord willing!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Mon May 18, 2015 2:05 pm

Still waiting on the books to show up. They should be here by Wed night if all goes well. Then one final proofread and I'll order the books. The Limited Edition Kickstarter will be delayed a bit, but not by much. Finally sorted out how to set that up (Had to contact the Printer and wait to hear back and also wanted to see just how the regular books turned out).

I'm also working on the Cosmoverse World Tour #0 (this is the rechristened Cosmothea Vacation, a title I'm no longer using). This is a fun little book with many paintings and drawings in it and a couple new maps (well, new to you, though one of them I'll be sprucing up for the book). I have some sketches to do and finish fleshing out the text. A decent amount of work left, but I'm real excited about this series (yep, it's a series of books now). I might do the other books as Kickstarters, since they aren't part of this campaign. Not sure yet. It's a neat concept that ties into some major characters in the Cosmoverse. I know I'll pursue more of these, but not sure when and to what degree. I have a trilogy I want to write about a couple of the characters. So much to do, and I have to proceed carefully, since I have no investors—yet.

We need to get a regular budget or lots of word of mouth helping us complete several Kickstarters to begin to bring forth some of the really cool things I have planned and in the works.

One of many of the cool projects is a 3 book adventure Allen Farr and I were working on awhile back that's tied into yet another trilogy I started writing and have laid out. I really need to find a way at some point to be doing this full-time again, but with making enough money so that I can feed the family, of course. That's always the tricky part in this industry. Till then, a lot is going to be hanging on how well Arcane Synthesis and future products do on Kickstarter, and afterwards, with reviews, growing the fan base and said friends and fans spreading the word!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Mon May 18, 2015 2:08 pm

Still waiting on the books to show up. They should be here by Wed night if all goes well. Then one final proofread and I'll order the books. The Limited Edition Kickstarter will be delayed a bit, but not by much. Finally sorted out how to set that up (Had to contact the Printer and wait to hear back and also wanted to see how the regular books turned out).

I'm also working on the Cosmoverse World Tour #0 (this is the rechristened Cosmothea Vacation, a title I'm no longer using). This is a fun little book with many paintings and drawings in it and a couple new maps (well, new to you, though one of them I'll be sprucing up for the book). I have some sketches to do and finish fleshing out the text. A decent amount of work left, but I'm real excited about this series (yep, it's a series of books now). I might do the other books as Kickstarters, since they aren't part of this campaign. Not sure yet. It's a neat concept that ties into some major characters in the Cosmoverse. I know I'll pursue more of these, but not sure when and to what degree. I have a trilogy I want to write about a couple of the characters. So much to do, and I have to proceed carefully, since I have no investors beyond our first Kickstarter—yet.

We need to get a regular budget or lots of word of mouth helping us complete several Kickstarters to begin to bring forth some of the really cool things I have planned and in the works.

One of many of the cool projects is a 3 book adventure Allen Farr and I were working on awhile back that's tied into yet another trilogy I have laid out, some art prepared for and a few thousand words on the page for. I really need to find a way at some point to be doing this full-time again, but with making enough money so that I can feed the family, of course. That's always the tricky part in this industry. Till then, a lot is going to be riding on how well Arcane Synthesis and near future products do on Kickstarter, and afterwards, with reviews, growing the fan base and said friends and fans spreading the word!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:43 pm

After another round of editing (you can't have too much editing!) and heavy proofing of the first printed books, all the revisions have been made and 2 weeks ago I ordered another set of proofs. They should have gotten here by now, but no word yet. I'm hoping by middle of next week they'll come in and we can do our (hopefully) last round of proofing done without a hitch or printing errors, and then place an order for the final books so I can sign and ship 'em out to all the wonderful backers waiting for 'em!

So, if you missed the book on Kickstarter, it shouldn't be too long before they are available at online sellers, and eventually, if all goes well, in a few brick and mortar stores (the more the merrier!) The book and stories are lookin' great. Hopefully we'll get some reviews before long. We'll start with a soft release and then start spreading the word more vigorously. I"m hoping the good folks who read the book will put in a good word for it on facebook, twitter and beyond. Good stuff and more to come!

Cheers!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:42 am

The books have been ordered! Just waiting for the shipment to arrive so I can send 'em out to backers! Once the backers have their books, then I'll be able to put the books up on Drivethrufiction.com, Amazon and elsewhere!

Currently working on the cool new mini book (one of the Kickstarter rewards I'll later publish on Drivethrufiction) called Cosmoverse World Tour. It's a series of journal-styled art and story books I think you guys are going to really enjoy! More on that in the days ahead!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:42 pm

Just waiting on the books to show up. Should be Tuesday night. I won't get the shipping supplies in the mail until Friday night or Saturday. So, I'm hoping to start packing the books up to ship off to backers starting this weekend!

I'm also hard at work on the Cosmoverse World Tour, which is shaping up nicely, but has quite a bit of work left on it before I can release that (again, first to backers and then releasing to the rest of the world).

When I set up the book for online sales, I'll first set it up on Drivethrufiction.com and then Amazon. Still not sure yet if it will be made available elsewhere or not. A company in the UK showed interest last year, but we haven't spoken in awhile. I still plan to open up a QT Games store as well, but that takes time and backer rewards come first. Well, that's all for today. Cheers!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:09 am

All of our backers who asked for books have now had them for quite awhile (anyone want to do a review? Word of mouth is terribly important to our ability to keep putting out quality products).

The vast bulk of all the rewards (and there were quite a few) are now long out the door. So, what's left on my plate before I can move on to our next project? Glad you asked! You didn't? Er, well . . . um, moving right along . . .

1. Cosmoverse World Tour book #0
2. Dead By Dawn Short Story (a tricky, fun endeavor in which backers were given the ability to write a blurb/concept that I have to put into the story like a puzzle, finding the best place for it!)

I also promised a freebie. Kind of wish I hadn't now as my Kickstarter was already overly generous on rewards and it's just one more thing looming over me, waiting for me to finish it. But I stand by my word, so backers can also look forward to The Shadow Hunter short story as well. It's a fun story and already polished, but as it has been many years since I've written it, I want to go back in and edit it some more (which I said I would). So, three things left. All the heavy lifting is already done, but these three will take some time. Thanks all for your patience. I could slop them out to technically meet my responsibilities, but that's not how I roll. The ost time-consuming one is Cosmoverse World Tour, which I beefed up from my original vision, and now it's cooler than ever!

It includes story, magic items, creatures and vehicles. I recently completed a detailed entry for the nymph nd am working on the Adaran centaurs right now, describing their history, culture and powers. Fun stuff!

There's a book section on QT Games now. Have you visited it? I put up an excerpt for Arcane Synthesis and will put up a gallery soon. I put up a simplistic forum on that page for those that don't want to log into QT Games and just want to leave a quick question or comment. Those forums are at the bottom of the Books section. Stop by and say hi, and let me know what you think of Arcane Synthesis!
Bob Whitely
Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Arcane Synthesis: A Blended-Genre Anthology (Kickstarter)