Progress Reports on Arcane Synthesis

A forum devoted to our upcoming Kickstarter!

Re: Progress Reports on Arcane Synthesis

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:22 pm

Well, things have slowed down at QT Games quite a bit—it's temporary, but it has been significant. As those who have read my last Kickstarter Update know, right in the middle of finishing formatting for the book, I've had to leave town for a family emergency.

I don't have full access to my software and the huge pile of files, but I'll be back later this week. We'll get the ball rolling again very soon! I have a pdf version almost ready to roll and would have been out by now, but I'll quickly finish it up upon my return and then start converting and fixing up the file to work well in ePub and Mobi formats for ereaders that don't use pdf. That shouldn't take more than a couple weeks or so, and then I'll submit the files to the printers. That process can take awhile, with strict submission requirements and proofing copies to make sure the book looks right in final form, but I look forward to getting that behind us and getting the books out! So, first ebooks, and then the printed books. Just need to get back to town and finish things up!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Note:: Lord of Toonaria, Guardian of the Cosmoverse

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:26 am

This has been a quiet thread, I guess because most of the action has been announced on both Kickstarter and over at our Cosmothea Insiders Forum further below (PM me to join and I'll see if I can get you in ;) )

We've had several setbacks, sadly. Including a family emergency and cost changes across the board (much of what I gathered quotes on changed in price since funding our Kickstarter, so much came out of pocket (why is gas the only thing that goes down in price? Everything else on my plate has gone up!) Ah well.

Progress slowed considerably when lagging finances forced me to add on piles of freelance art to pay the bills. Working loads of hours freelancing currently, which I need, but it is making it hard to move quickly. But I am still moving forward with the book, of course, and it should be out very soon!

Ran the whole thing through one last copy edit (out of numerous edits), to get you the most bang for the buck. It's almost done. Everything's looking good and Arcane Synthesis is almost ready for ebook conversion and then printed books about 30 days after that.

What's left? We are revisiting one of the stories and are making little tweaks. Then I'll finish up with the formatting and begin ebook conversion - pdf first, since it's fast and easy, then ePub, followed by Mobi.

I'll update again when it's ready for ebook conversion, hopefully in about 7-10 days. Cheers!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:41 pm

Looks like I should have Arcane Synthesis formatted for printing by Sunday night if all goes well. The pdf is then a snap after that. The ePub and Mobi formats take much longer. Rather, ePub does, and then (I think) Mobi isn't too hard once that's done. Not sure how long it will take to make the ePub (It depends on how well the InDesign file translates over and then I have to go back in and fix everything to work as an ebook, which has very specific issues, depending on various factors. I'll know soon enough! I need to review the process a bit more. ePub has numerous issues that have to be dealt with, but hopefully it won't be too bad!

Cheers!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Flowswithdrek » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:33 pm

Hey Bob,

Glad to hear things are still moving forward. Looking forward to the finished product :D
Flowswithdrek
Gold Adept

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:51 pm

It's great to see you around the forums!
Thanks, Allen. I can't wait!

Except for one story, I've now got the book formatted again (I've actually done it 4 times now, but had some problems along the way that messed it all up, and new things to consider). The one story I've mentioned before that has undergone more copyediting is now out of Joan's hands and back into mine to review for inclusion in the book. I just got that this morning, actually, so it will take some time to go through and approve, dump or adjust suggestions and corrections and then it won't take long to get it into the book looking nice again.

I ended up revising (again) both the front and back covers (tiny changes here and there) to make sure it was up to specs for both LightningSource and CreateSpace. It's tricky stuff.

After doing that, I downloaded the hardcover template (didn't know there was one—I had selected 6.14x9.21 because it is a size used for both soft and hardcovers!) but ran across it the other day. I thought it odd, but figured it couldn't be too different for the same size book. Boy was I wrong. It's way different. They require much more art, so I have to review that, but it won't slow down the ebooks. If I want the same exact covers for both trade paperback and hardcover (which was the plan, of course), I may need to paint in a little extra around the sides and even near the spine (no idea why, since the spine is the same size, but they have much bigger borders for it, despite saying it's the same size. ??

And the cover wraps around and is glued in on the inside, so they need extra art to wrap. Hadn't thought of that. I'm going to check Jason's original painting and review it in case I trimmed some off the top and bottom, but the sides are not wide enough for their odd template.

Heck, they are asking for a lot of extra art just for that wrap, though I know a lot of it will be covered up by end papers or a sheet of paper glued on. So I'll keep it simple.

That said, I'm still baffled by the spine and may have to contact them. It's like twice as big as the trade paperback spine, yet it says right on it that the final size is the same. Odd!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Ragnarok » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:42 pm

Thnx for the update. I'll probably read the ebook, but I want the printed book!! I know, it's coming out soon. Cool!
Ragnarok

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:43 pm

Hi all, here's a quicky update

I'm working long hours, so it's slow-going to get things done. But I am making regular progress. The pdf's are out the door and I finished a working ePub file as well. That said, I found a snafu and have to go back and fix it (lost a page somehow, amazingly—right in the middle of a story! So, I have to go back in this week and redo the pdf and ePub. It's an easy fix, but takes a bit of time as it throws off formatting by a page. Nothing I can't handle this week. That said, I made a Fixed Layout ePub, which looks great, but is not useable on older ereaders, so I need to make the freeflowing type too, and then the mobi.

After that, we're off to the printers, assuming no more glitches. Getting there, just much more slowly than I would have liked. Even so, I think we're going to knock your socks off with this book. Some really great stories and other goodies!

Cheers,
Bob
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby warp9 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:36 pm

Bob Whitely wrote:I'm working long hours, so it's slow-going to get things done. But I am making regular progress. The pdf's are out the door and I finished a working ePub file as well.

Congrats Bob! :D It is nice to see that you are able to get your novel out to the masses.

I do seem to be having some problem with downloading the pdf. It keeps giving me an error that says: 404 -- the file you're looking for has been moved or deleted. (that happens on both the links, for the smaller and larger pdfs). I didn't try to download when you first sent out the link, I waited till about the time you sent the notice regarding the missing page---I figured that perhaps you took the file down to fix it, and never got it back in place.

Anyway, there is no rush (things are a bit busy now anyway), but it would be nice to get the pdf eventually.

And again, congratulations!
warp9
Gold Adept

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:14 pm

Hi Rob,

Sorry for any confusion. This update is before the latest one which says I'm going to replace the latest pdf, and it's before I found 2 more problems with the ebook file the other day (though the problem isn't one for either the pdf or ePub Fixed Layout version, only the free flowing version. The new problem will take me many hours to fix before I can do the freeflowing one or Mobi.

Anyway, bottom line: I haven't had time to make a new pdf yet, though I've fixed the missing page thing and a couple typos and did some more ebook research, which led to me finding more problems. I will issue a new link to the new pdf hopefully Monday night, or thereabouts. Thanks for your patience!

I'm excited, but man is this taking way too long, and ebooks are way, way harder to make than printed or pdf versions, which is discouraging, since ebooks are so popular. I think I could have done the printed book in the amount of time it's taken so far to do the ebooks, and there's many more hours to put in still before the ebooks are ready. But yes, getting closer all the time. :) I'm working a ton of hours at my art job, but that will slow down in June(ish) and hopefully by then all rewards will be out the door and I can get back to writing The Living Train!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Ragnarok » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:35 am

Thanks for posting another update on the project, Bob. Checking out the pdf now! Great cover. Jason's work continues to amaze.

Can't wait to dig into the stories. Will you be doing another Kickstarter later this year for your next book?
Ragnarok

PreviousNext

Return to Arcane Synthesis: A Blended-Genre Anthology (Kickstarter)