Cosmothea 5.0 Themes and Levels

Awhile back, I started moving only up-to-date 5.0 threads here. Some early 5.0 threads are no longer relevant due to changes to improve the game. This game is on hold while we review it and work on Epic Destinies.

Cosmothea 5.0 Themes and Levels

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Sun May 04, 2014 9:21 pm

Note: I think the concepts of levels and classes (themes/career paths) has gotten a bad rap, perhaps because of the less than ideal way D&D has handled it over the years—not very flexible. Both of these are sometimes looked at as being a straight jacket—as a negative thing, but I think you'll find them liberating in Cosmothea. Levels and themes without limits would be closer to accurate than thinking of levels and themes from a D&D mindset.

Themes and levels: Themes stand at the crossroads between having classes like you might find in Pathfinder, D&D, etc. and classless systems. We firmly believe in the concept of providing collections of basic concepts that you can use to build your character. They enable players to quickly latch onto a basic concept and then shape it to their heart's content.

Once you have picked your basic theme, you take the basic goodies of that "career path" that are relevant to the theme, and then can continually, every level, add more goodies - the exact goodies you want, to shape your path in the direction you want to. That's putting a lot of power in the hands of the players without sacrificing an "easy to wrap your mind around" concept, which new players appreciate. And of course it gets you rolling faster, but without forcing you down a particular path. Career paths have a great deal of room for modification, and not just adding things, but even reshaping older bits, if you realize later that you messed up on an aspect of your character concept.

And for those that want even more customization or hate even a hint of a class-based system, we have the "Professional", which is basically a simple, build-it-yourself set of mechanics that can be used to devise literally any sort of character concept you can imagine. It does take a little longer than the premade career path "themes", because the sky is not the limit - you really can make whatever you want. Our only limitation is self-imposed, since we are rather fond of the Cosmoverse campaign setting, and so we only include rules for concepts that would fit within that crazy-huge playground. Of course, that means that you can also play the Cosmothea RPG with many other settings as well.

We love levels because again, they are very easy to understand, track, and give you a very clear picture of your progress within the career of your dreams. They are easy mechanically and since our career paths are extremely flexible, they help, not hinder character growth. If Cosmothea were a computer game, we might have implemented levels invisibly, but since levels are so easy to handle, we use them to good effect, I think. This is just a quicky overview. I'll go into more detail later.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Note:: Lord of Toonaria, Guardian of the Cosmoverse

Re: Cosmothea 5.0 Themes and Levels

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Sat May 14, 2016 1:19 am

See Themes 6 + 1 = Infinite in the above thread for more on themes and paths!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Note:: Lord of Toonaria, Guardian of the Cosmoverse

Return to Cosmothea RPG 5.0