Epic Destinies Roleplaying Game

This is the home of everything Epic Destinies - just the rules and concepts. It is married to the Toonaria Campaign Setting, so you may find some ED content in that forum as well.

Re: Epic Destinies Roleplaying Game

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:50 pm

One of the things I've been working on this week is tweaking the Destiny Engine. It's the core resolution rules surrounding both Epic Destinies and the Cosmothea Roleplaying Game. Just some small tweaks to up the epic and rules clarity.

I'm dying to dive in and put some serious hours into the game design this week, but the bulk of my attention needs to be on The Sea of Worms book (for those who don't know, it's a very cool introduction to some neat Cosmothean characters, the nature of magic, lore and more! I'm very excited about it, too, of course!)

Anyway, I was also working a little on the combat system for Epic Destinies, specifically expanding while also simplifying a little, the kinds of activities you can do during a round and how they come about. Things are looking pretty smooth so far, but playtesting will help ensure that is the case. Well, have a great rest of the week, all. Cheers!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Note:: Lord of Toonaria, Guardian of the Cosmoverse

Re: Mental Health Track

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:02 pm

Update:

I revised the Mental Health Track, simplifying it and toning down the penalties for stressing out and dealing with traumatic events (there won't be many, as horror is not a major feature in the setting.) I also made it so that minor mental health conditions are not spelled out, but rather left up to role-playing. I lowered the penalties because they stack with penalties you get for injuries and if someone's had a rough time, the penalties might stack up too high. Playtesting will help defined proper numbers, so I'm not worried at this point.

Some people love digging into mental conditions (they can be quite interesting), but many don't roleplay them right anyway and some would rather not deal with real world mental issues (it might strike too close to home or make them uncomfortable), so I made it so that the system focuses more on generic penalties and offers suggestions for symptoms, rather than list mental conditions, which should be easier to roleplay anyway.

Further, I don't get specific on which conditions one might have that are represented by their symptoms, so they can keep it as generic as they'd like, or get creative (or more accurate if they want to use real world ones.) I may include a few of the really fun ones (well, fun if you didn't really have them, like DID/MPD). I like that flexibility built into the simplicity. It is minor, but sometimes less is more.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Note:: Lord of Toonaria, Guardian of the Cosmoverse

Previous

Return to Epic Destinies RPG