Epic Destinies Roleplaying Game

This is the home of everything Epic Destinies - just the rules and concepts. It is married to the Toonaria Campaign Setting, so you may find some ED content in that forum as well.

Epic Destinies Roleplaying Game

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:59 pm

Epic Destinies Roleplaying GameTM

Note: Little Epics RPG, mentioned below, was merged with Cosmothea 5.0 - it's mostly Little Epics, but the change has prompted a new name, hence Epic Destinies!

Previous name, etc....
It's official—I'm moving forward with this Cosmothea-inspired, rules-lite RPG I've been tinkering with on and off for awhile now.

After much consideration, I'll be pushing forward, starting with a board game release that uses the Little Epics rules. The board game is one I designed back around 1980 and have been revamping in my spare time (More on that in a bit). We will release a series of board games based on the RPG, which will enable full compatibility across the board, both between board games (you could even swap things from the games and they'll still work, with new, fresh possibilities!) and players interested in RPG's can create characters and run scenarios through the same board game battle maps (using the same scenario or one of several others, or even one the GM makes up). Fun stuff ahead, no doubt!

I will continue to work on Little Epics and my board games while wrapping up some fiction projects (our highest priority is our upcoming fiction titles, but I will continue working regularly on Little Epics as well!)

What's it about? The little heroes of the Toonaria Campaign Setting, focusing on little heroes on epic adventures!

More to come . . .
Bob Whitely
Admin

Note:: Lord of Toonaria, Guardian of the Cosmoverse

Re: Little Epics Roleplaying Game!

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:38 pm

So, Little Epics will be light-hearted/lite-rules, but there's far more to it than that. Further, you will still be able to run bigger, more traditional species (or races as D&D calls 'em) if you want. And you'll be able to have plenty of serious adventures too, as desired.

What about the Toonaria Campaign Setting?
Toonaria is larger than life—epic, if you will. With amazing, sweeping landscapes, powerful magic and dangerous beings and places here and there. Like the Cosmoverse Campaign Setting, Toonaria has been hit by the GodStorm—only much, much worse. All creatures have been tainted by it, imbued with magic, sometimes for good, other times for ill. In corners, it is the happiest of all places and in others, dark beings plot heinous crimes against the little folk. Most of Toonaria is a great, massive floating island, surrounded by hundreds of other islands, some nearby, others way up in the sky, or far below, hanging in the cosmic void.

Like it's little heroes, the Toonaria Campaign Setting is small compared to the Cosmoverse, but it's big on character and magic, and is blended-genre like its bigger brother (though it is more fantasy than anything else). The ancient, god-like A.I Architects have also discovered this universe and have left their mark.

The Little Epics Roleplaying Game features many interesting concepts. It's still under heavy development, of course. This being rather early on, but I've nailed down a number of concepts, including an optional "Cuteness" factor, which in some cases will be powerful enough to stay the breath of a dragon. Some creatures will be immune, others will not. Those that don't want such a thing, can ignore it. Some rules will be hard and fast, others will be optional. The game will come with plenty of talents and a very flexible character creation system, like Cosmothea does, but with some more cool tweaks to retain the rules-lite approach.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:40 pm

There are other concepts, including a Gubby and Taint System, which are tied to the custom dice the game uses and the light and dark themes present in the setting. I'm jumping up and down excited about the new dice, which were inspired by my special Cosmothea dice, only taken to another level!

Currently, I'm reviewing 12 of the many creatures in Toonaria for inclusion in the core rulebook. Ultimately, I'll be including only 7, but the others, along with numerous other Toonaria critters will appear elsewhere in the game, and with GM approval, may be used by the PCs.

I will also be brainstorming updated looks and talents for these creatures, some of which I designed as a teenager. Others within the past couple years. Like the Cosmoverse, Toonaria is very old in real time, but I want to provide both a fresh look with better graphics and conceptual design and strong, fresh game mechanics. So far, I'm thrilled. The game is exceeding my expectations, but there is still much work to be done.

I'll update you more next chance I get. Cheers!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:40 pm

Some of you might be thinking this is just a game for kids. While kids would enjoy it, I'm sure, it's for adults too. More accurately, I'd say it's an RPG for kids of all ages, including serious adults. It's up to you how serious or silly it gets. Me, I like things a bit more on the serious side, and as such, the game has some bite to it as well, touching on some complex topics too, despite the larger than life, almost cartoony environment. But even the look and environment is open to interpretation and could be taken seriously, as GMs and players have control over their own actions and creativity. But I think you just might find the little heroes of Toonaria addictive.

I'm familiar with a number of rules-lite systems and I'd have to say that there are some very deep concepts in Little Epics, despite the creatures being very much on the cute side.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:47 pm

With Little Epics, I'm steering clear of the classic species you find in traditional fantasy. I love the classics, but I also love exploring off the beaten path. Oh sure, the elves, dwarves, and other classic races—even humans, can be found in Toonaria, but the real stars are the critters that most people overlook and underestimate!

The only two major PC species that are being carried over from the core of Cosmothea are the nehi and the much-loved orynii, at least as far as what's going to show up in the Character Creation section. Most of the creatures in the game will be straight from Toonaria. I'll get into them more in the days ahead.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:55 pm

There are no levels, nor classes in Little Epics. The rpg uses cards to build your character. There is also a small Adventure Sheet to jot down big notes, like the name of your friends, secrets you want to remember, unique treasures, important contacts, etc. It only takes minutes to create a character, and you can make pretty much anything you want that fits the flavor of the setting.

Little Epics uses a clear or white d6 and a red, white or smoky d6 (both d6 have special meanings, but are otherwise normal six-siders), and an Epic d10 with no numbers, but special icons and colors that are important in the game. That's all for today.

Thanks for stopping by. More epic goodies later!

Cheers!
Bob
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:17 am

The first product we will release in the Toonaria line is most likely going to be a board game called Freeze Or BurnTM. It will be powered by Little Epics. The rpg itself will come out later, along with setting material and other goodies. But we won't be rushing out the board game, of course. We want to make sure the rpg and the board game totally rock, after all! We've designed more than two dozen games, including rpg, board and card games, so we're confident this latest iteration of Freeze Or Burn (Originally designed around 1980) will be more robust than the original, and prettier too.

At some point, we'll also start up a new PbP game to playtest the rpg publicly, and eventually open it up for wider playtesting prior to release. But for now, I'll post from time to time about the upcoming rpg and board game and other goodies we have in the works!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:25 pm

Some really cool improvements have been made lately to the Little Epics RPG as well as the board game tentatively titled Freeze Or Burn. These games are really heating up and I couldn't be more excited!

By necessity, I have to keep The Shadow Reaper in the forefront and yeah, I'm uber excited about that novel too. It's still in the editing phase and will be for awhile yet. Good stuff coming!

Bending the time continuum regularly to bring you some hot products!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:38 pm

I've made some good progress on the rules and created my first character the other day. Still have plenty to do, with work on more talents, spells and such, but it's looking good thus far! Made some progress on the board game as well. I'll go into more detail and show some art after awhile. Much on my plate currently, with the highest priority being finishing up The Shadow Reaper novel and Cosmoverse World Tour.

But this side project is showing much promise and will make it to the forefront before long. Have a great weekend, all!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:55 pm

Looks like we're going for a new name . . .

Epic Destinies RPG. It will be a blend of Little Epics and Cosmothea and be on the rules-lite side. I've done a large amount of work on it, but there's plenty more to do. Epic Destinies uses the Destiny Engine from Cosmothea and a similar magic system, but is otherwise largely being made from scratch. I'm letting Cosmothea inspire it, but it's definitely going down its own path, and it's lookin' good! I'm not saying I'll never finish Cosmothea 5.0, but I feel Epic Destinies will be faster to finish as it is a smaller game. Likewise, the Toonaria Campaign Setting is smaller than the Cosmoverse, so it will be faster too, though I will continue regularly supporting the Cosmoverse!!!

So . . . I'm renaming this thread, to avoid confusion in the future.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Next

Return to Epic Destinies RPG