Epic Destinies Roleplaying Game

This is the home of everything Epic Destinies - just the rules and concepts. It is married to the Toonaria Campaign Setting, so you may find some ED content in that forum as well.

Re: Epic Destinies Roleplaying Game

Unread postby Flowswithdrek » Mon May 08, 2017 1:42 pm

Yeah, some kickstarters are quite expensive getting these days, especially if your not sure what your getting. If you want to produce a really cheap version of your game, why not just a glossy poster. it could be cut out and stuck down on a piece of card, he tokens likewise.
Flowswithdrek
Gold Adept

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Mon May 08, 2017 1:53 pm

Hi Allen,

Thanks for your thoughts. I think that would work.

I was planning a 1 or 2-sided battlemap for the adventure 2-sided if I got the funding. I could use that same thing for the cheaper boardgame, instead of the flat board!

My only concern would be whether people that bought the game, if unfamiliar with battlemaps like WotC makes, would feel like I cheaped out on them? I wouldstill have the regular "hard" gameboard, of course, for those wanting the deluxe edition, assuming enough interest (I was even considering a version that is multi-tiered above the table, 3D like, as a Stretch option, as it might be perfect for the type of game, possibly part of an extra deluxe version for certain backers, but a battlemap might work for the cheap one. :D
Bob Whitely
Admin

Note:: Lord of Toonaria, Guardian of the Cosmoverse

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Mon May 08, 2017 1:55 pm

Update: I made a new blog post with more adventure seeds for Epic Destinies to help give an example of what Toonaria is like. Some were taken from this site and updated. Others were new.

[Updated with link]
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Mon May 08, 2017 2:19 pm

My only concern with Epic Destinies and Toonaria is that I might not present it properly, such that gamers who just want lots of violence and gritty, bloody combat will just ignore it, since I'm presenting the softer side. It can certainly be played just like Pathfinder, D&D, and various other rpgs, it's just that by default, I'm showing a really cool, but less violent side of it and concepts that you just don't tend to find elsewhere.

I guess at some point I should give adventure seeds that show the more gritty opportunities. They are certainly there, but there are endless possibilities that are just as fun and even intense at times without guts flying out of bodies. Besides, GM's and players are free to describe things how they like, and there's no saying they have to stick to the visually tamer regions of Toonaria that are affected by the rose glasses syndrome effect at play.

But yeah, it has been a concern. I don't want to misrepresent all of the really cool options available. That's why I'm starting now to unveil things. Hopefully, by the time I'm heading to publication, people will already have a wealth of useful info and art to form a very clear picture!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Tue May 16, 2017 12:32 pm

Hi all,

One of the concepts I introduced in Toonaria a long time ago and liked it so much that I included it in the Cosmoverse was the concept of companions. Companions are big in Toonaria. Just as the wizard in fantasy lit and games has their familiar (In D&D a familiar boosts the mage a bit), in Toonaria your companion (usually a cute, exotic creature half your size or more) boosts your hero in some way.

We're talking a little companion that goes everywhere with you, but doesn't directly engage in combat. It is a support unit, socially and on the sidelines in combat, boosting you in some way. Each companion will have a talent that "rubs off" on the hero, benefiting them. It could be anything from distracting your enemy, to doing minor heals on you, retrieving a dropped item or hand delivering a spell.

Because of the nature of Toonaria and the game's tone, companions are never attacked. They might be incapacitated, knocked aside (story-wise) or captured along with the hero, but they are never directly targeted, as it is generally believed that they are worthless. (You have to recall that most of the heroes in Toonaria are quite small and thus are themselves underestimated.)

Awhile back, I got to thinking more about companions (I have written down some talents and did a bit of character design for them over the years, but more needs to be done). The more I thought about them, the more I got to thinking they, too, needed companions. The companion's companion!

A companion's companion (should I call it a sidekick, or?) will grant the companion a small boost that makes it even more beneficial, and keeps it company when you're not around. After all, companions get lonely, too! Stats and info on these critters will be minimal to keep things fast and easy, as usual.

A player who wants a companion will simply purchase the card and the critter will show up after awhile (I'm sure they'll become fast friends!) If they want to purchase a sidekick for their companion, then they buy that card too at some point. About the only thing the player would need to do beyond that is coming up with a name for the companion, and history, if they feel like it.

One of many benefits to including companions in your game is that a companion helps make a more positive atmosphere. This is both a philosophical and mechanical concept. In Epic Destinies, like Cosmothea, the atmosphere that you are in affects your ability to heal physically and emotionally. So, being surrounded by friends, you heal faster. I've touched on the positive and negative environment before, but I'll discuss it again and how it works down the road. Cheers!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Flowswithdrek » Wed May 24, 2017 1:57 pm

The idea of a companion does seem to fit quite well with the concept of Epic Destinies. My experience with companions in other games, possibly with the exception of the Beastmaster Discipline in Earthdawn, is that players tend to forget about their companions until they suddenly become important to some aspect of the game. What happens in Epic Destinies when a player has a companion but doesn't interact with it until its needed? As a gamesmaster I could see the little critters getting their Heroes? Masters? into all manner of trouble. I kind of have this vision of Scrappy Doo in my head for some reason!
Flowswithdrek
Gold Adept

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Wed May 24, 2017 2:21 pm

Heh, great comments, Allen. Thanks for your thoughts.

Companions are not the smartest critters on the block, so they can definitely do some accidental, unhelpful acts or even get into mischief, not realizing the extent of their actions (like being in an alien factory traveling along with their master. If the player goes awhile without stating exactly what the companion is doing, it might pull a lever, push a button, etc.) We don't want companions being a full blown liability, but we don't want them ignored either.

More so than make actual rules, I think including a guide would be helpful, along with suggestions on what can happen. It might be even worse for a companion's companion, whom the player has no real control over, but thankfully a bug or other tiny critter can only get into so much trouble! But yes, it would be important to roll the companion into the storyline, especially if the player ignores it!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Wed May 24, 2017 2:27 pm

One option would simply be to duplicate to some degree the electronic pets people have had - companions need to eat too. Forget to say you are feeding them and they might get sickly and slow the party down, requiring a stop or hunt for the exotic food they eat. Or they might simply lose their bonuses for a time, which means the character loses access to a benefit if she goes too long without giving them attention.

Since companions grant benefits for hanging around, these sorts of offsets will help. Also, they make it more likely that the player will attempt to make the companion more than a piece of equipment and part of the story.
"LIl Arbry gets tired on these long trips. We should take a break in this cave. I noticed a mollypod growing back a short ways. Arbry loves mollypods and we haven't had lunch yet. I'll be right back."
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Wed May 24, 2017 3:11 pm

Hey, Allen,

This has me thinking we should do a small book at some point - A Guide to Companions (care, feeding, how to run them, how GM's should use them, personalities, pictures, potential problems and adventure seeds, etc.) Doesn't have to be exhaustive. I'd like to keep a good number of books small, so we can cover more topics, while still being very useful!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Thu May 25, 2017 9:46 am

What fun! What about something like this?

Companions
Toonaria is a magical realm filled to the brim with numerous exotic creatures, many of which have been infused with power and special abilities thanks to arcane catastrophes, alien, divine and AI experimentation, the mysterious GodStorm and other phenomenon. Companions is a Toonarian sourcebook featuring special companions for your hero and includes:
15 Companions
5 Companion's companions
40 companion talents
lore, a guide to including companions in your campaign, and more!
Bob Whitely
Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Epic Destinies RPG