Epic Destinies Roleplaying Game

This is the home of everything Epic Destinies - just the rules and concepts. It is married to the Toonaria Campaign Setting, so you may find some ED content in that forum as well.

Re: Epic Destinies Roleplaying Game

Unread postby Flowswithdrek » Thu May 25, 2017 10:46 am

Bob Whitely wrote:Hey, Allen,

This has me thinking we should do a small book at some point - A Guide to Companions (care, feeding, how to run them, how GM's should use them, personalities, pictures, potential problems and adventure seeds, etc.) Doesn't have to be exhaustive. I'd like to keep a good number of books small, so we can cover more topics, while still being very useful!

Bob, sounds like a really fun project. Kind of a companion book, about companions and their companions :mrgreen:
Flowswithdrek
Gold Adept

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Thu May 25, 2017 11:01 am

:D Gotta love companions!

I think I mentioned before that if we keep the books a smaller size, not only are they cheaper to buy, but cheaper to make. Further, we can therefore do more of them and cover more aspects of the setting. Something around 50 or 60 pages, maybe? Not sure. We'd keep them tight, packed with goodies, but yeah, no longer than they need to be to do a decent treatment of the topic, providing gamers with a lot of cool ideas and opportunities to improve their gameplay without spending a ton.

Such a product would come with Print and Play cards, and for those that want nice, printed ones, I could make those available as well.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Note:: Lord of Toonaria, Guardian of the Cosmoverse

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Thu May 25, 2017 11:10 am

Of course, as much as I love companions, they would not be part of our initial release.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Thu May 25, 2017 12:03 pm

My battleplan is to get Epic Destinies RPG working well and then focus on my board game revamp of Freeze Or Burn. FOB will use the rpg's rules (It won't include everything - just what's needed to power the board game.) This will, of course, speed up production of the board game (and I'm bearing all that in mind while designing the rpg, trying to keep it lite, not too crunchy, while still epic and fun.)

Simultaneously, I want to get an adventure book going based on the concepts and locations in the board game. As I mentioned previously, Allen, I'm hoping you will be available at that time to work on the adventure book while I revamp the board game. This is a paying gig, of course. The entire project would be put up on Kickstarter for funding final art, editing, expansions, etc.

The adventure book would detail the setting of the board game and expand upon it (It all takes place in Toonaria, of course), offering plenty of adventure seeds, more lore and other goodies. It would not be a huge book - again, we're trying to work fairly small.

Some would just want the board game and couldn't care less about the rest. Others would want the rpg and therefore naturally would gravitate to the adventure. They may or may not also want the board game, which is fine either way. If I had my way (and I get it at times), we'd also put out a comic book based on the board game and adventure book, but we'll have to wait and see how things go.

I have a good amount done on the rpg, but there's still plenty left to do. Again, we might shrink the core book a tad and then expand on it later in a ahem . . . companion volume, if that seems the most reasonable course. Obviously, everything is subject to change this early on.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Thu May 25, 2017 12:20 pm

Having designed over 2 dozen board and card games, I'm well aware that there's a difference between a board game and an rpg. Even so, there are some overlaps. In this modern era where it's a challenge to get together with friends because everyone's so busy, uber crunchy games are harder to get into and harder still to keep playing. Further, a number of games have needless complexity, and just because D&D does things a certain way doesn't mean all games have to.

Epic Destinies is all about delivering an epic experience without an epic-sized rulebook. Characters will still matter, stories can still have punch, while character creation, conflict resolution and other concepts can be handled without pulling your teeth out pouring over a huge rulebook. I'd rather spend more space delivering strong stories, interesting creatures and dynamic environments - the meat of rpgs (It was never meant to be the rules, that's just the way it worked out for so many games.)

None of this is easy, which is why I'm taking my time to do it right and will do plenty of playtesting. Rpgs don't promise great wealth to their designers, so I have to be very careful on how I proceed.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Flowswithdrek » Thu May 25, 2017 1:03 pm

Bob Whitely wrote: I'm hoping you will be available at that time to work on the adventure book while I revamp the board game.

I'm always willing to lend a hand, just give me a shout close to the time and we get things up and running.
Flowswithdrek
Gold Adept

Unread postby Flowswithdrek » Thu May 25, 2017 1:05 pm

Bob Whitely wrote: an epic experience without an epic-sized rulebook.

This is actually quite a good catchphrase, considering the name of your game :)
Flowswithdrek
Gold Adept

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Thu May 25, 2017 1:37 pm

Heh, I might have to steal that phrase from myself and use it! :D

Glad to hear you are interested, Allen. It's not going to be happening in the next few months, but I sure look forward to getting the initial release rolling in a bigger way. I also look forward to getting you more intimately involved! It should prove to be a lot of fun. Our first foray into Toonaria is going to be very hot! In fact, it will feature more than a little magma! The Lords of Fire and Ice will not be sitting on the sidelines. They'll be all over this one! Freeze or Burn is the second board game I designed (over 3 decades ago), but it's getting a ground up revamp (below ground, actually) and I couldn't be more excited!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Tue May 30, 2017 3:04 pm

The gods of Toonaria are a diverse lot.

As you may recall, I said earlier that some of the gods of Toonaria were created there, others were once mortal or AI and became gods, and still others were actually visitors from the Cosmoverse. Upon trying to enter the sister universe, these Cosmoverse gods were splintered and cast back, unable to fully pass through the barrier. Instead, a shard or echo of their souls entered. These avatar-like constructs were confused and drained of power, and found themselves trapped within Toonaria with no memory of their past and who they were. Some developed new personalities and ambitions, but others slowly regained at least some of the memories of their previous lives in the Cosmoverse.

These "new" gods only have a small sampling of the original god's power. In fact, the bulk of what little power they brought with them upon entry was infused with Toonaria itself (becoming a power node in the form of a hidden, epic waterfall, a great tree, a vast bridge, an artifact duplicate of the Cosmoverse god's original, etc.)

On the Cosmoverse side, the injured gods remained behind, painfully aware of their loss, but not that a part of themselves continued to exist in the sister realm. Very few ever attempted to cross over more than once to Toonaria, for fear of losing yet more power.

The new gods of Toonaria struggle to find their place in the realm and are ever trying to regain the power denied them. For a time, they were confused and wondered the lands with no more power than a great mage, their divinity all but stripped away. Those who have been partially or fully restored mentally have had to decide between attempting to return to the Cosmoverse, or making a place for themselves in alien surroundings.

Forced to rely on new allies, new followers and new champions, most of the new gods spend their time attempting to regain their lost power and strengthening their position and understanding of their new home.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:38 pm

We were hit with some major snags and lost more than 2 weeks of productivity when our tile man wasn't able to show up for a very long time (he went completely incognito as our house was emptied out). My office remains completely empty and I've been without a computer for weeks.

Anyway, I think about ED RPG and Toonaria every day, and have been working a bit on species talents in between packing up parts of our house, cleaning, and other mundanes. The dust is coming in thick as the tile man had a hard time pulling up the old tile and jack-hammered the heck out of it, spewing dust everywhere. It's been really invasive, so we'll lose even more time cleaning when the dust, ahem, clears.

Anyway, I'll make a blog post asap and talk more here as well before long, regarding the wonderful realms of Toonaria and will also go over some of the game mechanics for ED RPG.

If you've read any of our books, I could sure use some testimonials to help us move forward, and spreading the word. We need to grow our mailing list if we're to get the fan base we need to fund our new product lines. Thanks for stopping by!

Cheers!
Bob
Bob Whitely
Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Epic Destinies RPG