Epic Destinies Roleplaying Game

This is the home of everything Epic Destinies - just the rules and concepts. It is married to the Toonaria Campaign Setting, so you may find some ED content in that forum as well.

Re: Epic Destinies Roleplaying Game

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:12 pm

Epic Destinies will focus on species you haven't seen before, and concepts that are far from stale. For example, there are no elves, gnomes or dwarves in Toonaria. Oh, it's possible that one or two at times might make it through the various rifts and gates in the Cosmoverse and pop up in Toonaria, but they don't have a culture based in Toonaria. All of the 10 starting species are original. They are not obscure in the sense that it's possible to wrap your head around them, and sure, you'll notice some similarities in personality and such with known personalities, but they aren't traditional by any sense.

Basically you are playing monsters, often cute little monsters (the Little Epics) with a touch of anime inspiration perhaps, and there are also sentient machines, robots and baby monsters of the really big variety (the Big Epics). The Big Epics will be a bigger focus in the second phase of the release. Your character will start out around 20' tall and go up from there. Sometimes Little Epics will even take control of a giant robot that will then face off with a Big Epic. Yeah, it could happen. But Epic Destinies isn't solely about fighting. There's plenty of things going on.

The every day lives of these monsters is quite different than what you'll tend to see in any other rpg. I'm not saying that everything in Epic Destinies is unique/original/innovative. While I've created a lot of stuff from scratch, there's a lot of familiar stuff too (I love movies and some of what you've seen will show up in a different way - like a big zilla fighting another big monster, for example). Other familiar stuff - well, people climb in Epic Destinies, swim, fight, lob fireballs, fire lasers - all that sort of stuff you've seen before. But we're putting a fresh spin on things.

Rather than being an adventurer like in D&D and storming a dungeon, your monsters might work in a dungeon, getting a cut from the dungeon owner for any loot you get. Dragon Minion and Dungeon Sitter are real jobs. Sometimes the sitters don't know what they are getting themselves into, but yeah, those sorts of things happen, and don't expect long, quiet days of boredom waiting for adventurers to come by. Dungeons are big business in Toonaria. In short, you can go on some traditional type adventures and you can do a lot of stuff you don't tend to see in most other rpgs.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Note:: Lord of Toonaria, Guardian of the Cosmoverse

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:18 pm

Magic

Magic is corrupt in both the Cosmoverse and Epic Destinies, but we upped the danger and excitement in Epic Destinies by making magic even less stable, as it will eventually be in the Cosmoverse.

Light and Dark Concepts

Light and dark are at serious odds. It's not that illumination is the issue. But there are things that coincide with the presence of illumination that can make a difference in everything you do. Further, there are talents you can take that are tied to walking the higher or lower moral path. Tainted creatures, places and objects can affect the monsters, pushing them further along a particular path and just as it is easier in real life to be bad than good, it is harder to crawl out of the pit once you get yourself down in it, so heroes have to be careful where they go and how long they spend there, as well as what they do there.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Ragnarok » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:30 pm

Ooh, I wanna hear more about this one! Are there classes? What races are in it? I'm liking what I'm hearing so far, but want to hear more. More details, Bob!
Ragnarok

Unread postby Flowswithdrek » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:03 pm

The character sheet with all the cards sounds like an interesting concept.
Flowswithdrek
Gold Adept

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:43 pm

Ragnarok wrote:Ooh, I wanna hear more about this one! Are there classes? What races are in it? I'm liking what I'm hearing so far, but want to hear more. More details, Bob!

Thanks for the encouragement, Ragnarok! There are no classes in Epic Destinies. Cosmothea 5.0 didn't have them either. What you are getting is the ability to create just about any sort of hero you want, and if you desire to have a guide for creating a particular theme for your hero (focusing on similar talents like social talents, combat talents, stealth talents, etc.) there are examples. There are "themes" which merely grant bonuses for synergy within—yep a theme. But no classes.

The following species are currently slated as core for the initial release. (They have not been seen elsewhere and in the days ahead I'll start going into what they are and what talents are associated with them):
Gubblings
Jawbas
Robotos
Moobi
Puffs
Doma
Orynii
Traaku
Shinar
Vog

Heading out the door, but keep an eye on these forums and on our blog too and I'll keep revealing more! (Speaking of the blog, I just released more on the setting a few days ago and will post again tonight.)

Oh, and there's also goodies I put in the newsletter that sometimes doesn't show up anywhere else. Also, you can get some free Cosmoverse fiction just for signing up!!!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:26 pm

gubbling.jpg
gubbling.jpg (98.14 KiB) Viewed 2226 times

Here's a picture of a gubbling. As you can see, they aren't as gritty-looking as some pic of a dwarf bashing someone's head in, but don't let the looks fool you. They are not wimps. None of the species are. And not all of them have a cheery disposition (that outlook is attached to some very interesting storylines as I've alluded to before). If someone wants to have a My Little Pony sort of adventure, that type of thing's totally possible, but there's also some gut wrenching things going on and it all flows together nicely. To some degree, it depends on where you are in Toonaria, what time of day it is, and who's hanging around.

I haven't pulled any punches with tackling philosophical topics and difficulties, but there's definitely a lot of room being provided for fun adventures that don't look like they came off the set of The Walking Dead. There are some pretty gritty things going on in the setting, but there's also opportunities for totally different sorts of adventures that don't need every second to include a Wolverine approach to conflict resolution. The way I've been developing the storylines, things can get as gritty or lite and interesting as people like.

The approach I was going for was a pokemon-like situation (except no master, of course) where you have all these monsters, some adorable, some not so much, and you go off on all sorts of quests to your liking. Each species has a number of different talents they can explore, in addition to a host of talents for combat, social encounters, etc.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:16 pm

Flowswithdrek wrote:The character sheet with all the cards sounds like an interesting concept.

Hiya, Allen!

Yes, it looks very promising indeed! I'm pretty stoked. Just wish I had more hours to devote to it per week! I'm making a bit of progress every day, but I miss when I had a whole team working together on an rpg, as with the early days of Cosmothea 5.0. It's just too expensive to do that anymore. I need to be very careful with the budget as things things can get uber expensive quick. So, I'll be doing the lion's share and then paying for art and editing. I still plan to bring on board a couple guys down the road as you know.

I want to support the project well with adventures. It's too early for that now, of course, as it's all still under development, but I'm liking what I'm seeing thus far, so that's encouraging. :D

I want to eventually get this thing going in a play-by-post game, but it's too early for that.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:17 pm

Of course Cosmothea was a huge inspiration for it, but I've really been building it from the ground up, not worrying about sacred cows in either the rules or in the setting (Toonaria is a very, very old setting, like the Cosmoverse, but it hasn't gotten as much love until recently.)
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby JonBrenas » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:49 am

I really like the concept of Toonaria as a universe!

There are a lot of rpg universes where characters and backgrounds are obviously made to be dark and gritty and quite a few that are made to be somewhat nonsensical but not that many that are designed to be cute while allowing for complex and dark storylines. I think it gives it an edge, a "Fallen Paradise"-taste if you will, that is really interesting. The contrast also can also make the story more endearing and striking, I guess, like a black and white picture with just a dash of colour. Do you already have novellas written in the Toonaria universe?
JonBrenas
Silver Adept

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:12 pm

JonBrenas wrote:I really like the concept of Toonaria as a universe!

There are a lot of rpg universes where characters and backgrounds are obviously made to be dark and gritty and quite a few that are made to be somewhat nonsensical but not that many that are designed to be cute while allowing for complex and dark storylines. I think it gives it an edge, a "Fallen Paradise"-taste if you will, that is really interesting. The contrast also can also make the story more endearing and striking, I guess, like a black and white picture with just a dash of colour.

Thanks for the encouragement, Jon!
Yeah, I couldn't be happier with how the setting came together (of course I'm still revising, expanding and polishing it).

So, one could play the game entirely within the fascade of near-paradise, just dealing with friendship issues and social conflict with a dash of threats that never seem quite life-threatening, or go off on epic adventures to places that kick up the tension, mystery and danger, and delve into the more philosophical matters and mysteries at stake. Or they could even enjoy a variety of pvp arena combat games, running a colossal bio mech, titanic monstrosity, giant zilla, etc. and either try to sort out the truth about what's really going on in Toonaria or just focus on customizing their monster team and focus on the combat games, living in denial.

JonBrenas wrote:Do you already have novellas written in the Toonaria universe?

I've written numerous short stories, setting anecdotes, and even a couple picture books,
(Bobzilla: Stomp Day being my favorite of the picture books! It features one of the titanic epic species that players will be able to run.) All of that needs to go through a pro editor before release, though. Bobzilla will be my first fiction release, likely, for Toonaria.
Bob Whitely
Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Epic Destinies RPG