Epic Destinies Roleplaying Game

This is the home of everything Epic Destinies - just the rules and concepts. It is married to the Toonaria Campaign Setting, so you may find some ED content in that forum as well.

Re: Epic Destinies Roleplaying Game

Unread postby Ragnarok » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:02 pm

You mentioned pokemon-like in one of your posts above. Forget which one, but I was just thinking. Some will love that idea - running monsters and a whole world of monsters, but others might think - I'm not into pokemon. Could you elaborate on that more. How that will work and what you mean. Also what, if anything you'll be doing about it for people that aren't into that. Thanks.
Ragnarok

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:57 pm

Hiya Ragnarok,

Great question! I was just using Pokemon as an example because it seems like in that world they are all over. I also referred to it because they all have different powers.

In Toonaria, because of the GodStorm changing everyone (and everything), and because it's a high-magic, blended-genre setting, everyone has powers. Throughout the life of a hero, the player will be able to both boost existing talents and buy new ones, so there's loads of customization built in. But you've also got species talents and plenty of them, so every species has plenty of power options available to them. That reminded me a little of Pokemon, so I mentioned it.

Further, the setting focuses on the cute monster/ titanic monster species, rather than humans, dwarves, elves, etc. (most of which aren't even in this setting), so it really is a world of monsters! And adventuring to some degree is from the view of monsters. That is, there are plenty of temporary jobs heroes can take that are traditionally taken by NPCs (but the excitement is kicked up several notches), so we're really coming at many things from totally different angles than traditional rpgs.

Of course players don't have to get into all that, but there's going to be lots of very interesting adventures possible. One interesting bit is that the little species are overlooked by the bigger ones. They are underestimated because of their size, so that gives the little ones more liberty to get away with some stuff and fly under the radar. No one expects some little cute guy to be a threat. It also means they don't always get treated as well, conversely. They aren't looked at as the superhero, but the sidekick - that sort of thing.

I mentioned Pokemon, but another lifelong inspiration has been anime. Plenty of people with monster pets and robot pets in anime. The concept of companions was there in Cosmothea, especially in our tabletop games, but it is very strong in Toonaria. Many heroes will have a muse/guide, pet, companion . . . heck in Toonaria, even the companions have companions. It will be a lot of fun. :) A companion will lend certain benefits to the hero, and their companion will lend them some too!

No one will be stuck doing anything, and it is neither the world of Pokemon, nor really that pokemon-like. I just referenced it because of the reasons I stated above. Hope that helps, Ragnarok!

There are so many different sorts of things players will be able to do, and as I mentioned before, even the tone is up to the GM and gaming group. There are many ways to play it. But the focus will be on the unusual creatures of Toonaria, not traditional "races" or even traditional fantasy or science fiction. The goal wasn't to make something way off the beaten path so much as to make something very cool that is an experience you can't get elsewhere.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Note:: Lord of Toonaria, Guardian of the Cosmoverse

Unread postby Ragnarok » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:15 pm

Thanks Bob. Sounds cool to me! I'm looking forward to hearing more about it all.
Ragnarok

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:50 pm

Hey Ragnarok - thanks again for the interest. :)

I just made another blog post (subscribe to be sure not to miss anything! Heck, subscribe to the newsletter to be sure not to miss any of those, for that matter. Good stuff and a free ebook to boot!!) All that said, I'll be posting more here soon.

Cheers!
Bob
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Flowswithdrek » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:54 pm

Hi Bob,
I've just seen Roboto in your last blog. Brilliant. Who is the artist? Did you create that one yourself?
Flowswithdrek
Gold Adept

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:00 pm

Hi Allen,

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, I've designed the entire line of species for the game and am slowly painting each one as I find time. My son, Haven, was very inspirational as well - we sometimes have brainstorming sessions on Toonaria, species talents, etc. Some of them I designed with his input many years ago (all the way back to the late 70's), and some, like Roboto, are more recent designs.

As my art skills improved over the years, I've needed to go back and repaint most. :D
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:14 pm

The concept behind Roboto is that a dying race from the Cosmoverse, called the "Draeva" on a desperate move to rescue their race sent out 2 sleeper ships, putting themselves into stasis, hoping someone would find them who had high enough medical tech to repair them. They heard about the amazing taager, so they sent both ships to Alliance Space. Only one showed up. The taager were indeed able to rescue some of the draeva aboard that ship, but many died.

The other ship had a mishap during its jump and appeared in Toonaria, where they were found by the ancient Architects. The Architects transferred their consciousnesses into robotos. There's quite a bit more to it all, but players will be able to download new talents as well as learn them over time. Every now and then, the Architect programming kicks in and the character will do something odd that the player doesn't understand (though it's never something that would be considered lewd or evil or something. It's just something odd, and when this happens, the more odd the event, the more rewarded the player will be for their trouble.

These are brief interruptions. For example, the Architects might want inside information about something the roboto hero knows that the hero wouldn't normally share. If the Architects take over for a moment, the hero will be rewarded in a way they wouldn't know it was the Architects, but would benefit nonetheless. It is more of a story thing, than a major inconvenience or anything like that.

The roboto hero will ocassionally find architechnology and be able to actually activate it, and in some cases implement (graft) it onto themselves, for better or worse. Fun stuff, I'm sure.

[Edited for clarity at 2:16 pm same day]
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:52 pm

It has been a crazy busy week, folks, and it looks like it's about to get busier as I have some freelance work coming in (not to mention we're doing spring cleaning in preparation for some house remodeling. Even so, I promised I'd try to do one blog post per week, and I'm a day late already, so I'll do my best to get it out Wednesday night, if possible. Otherwise, Thursday.

A couple quicky comments regarding characters . . .

Every species card includes 2 talents, both of which can go up to rank 5 (so that's 10 ranks worth of talents). There are also many species talents that can be purchased over time (gosh the term racial talents rolls off the tongue so much easier, but most rpgs actually use the term, racial, incorrectly more often than not. We're talking different species, not different races most of the time.)

Anyway, all of the species talents that can be purchased go up to rank 5, so every hero should be quite different based on that alone. All other talents, which includes skill and universal talents, also go up to rank 5. There are trees or chains, if you will, so one talent might have another as a prerequisite, and sometimes the talents are super similar so that essentially you can go up higher than rank 5. But there will be plenty of variety.

Spells, miracles, enchantments and powers, like those in the Cosmothea RPG, go up to rank 10. Epic Destinies will continue our tradition of making every one of them available right from the start. By that, I mean that teleportation is a 1st order spell. So is Resurrection (well, it's a miracle, actually). (Gosh, I get giddy when I think of our power system. It has always been such a fun part of our gaming experience, though it's just one exciting part.)

Sound way too powerful? Heh, it works way better than you might imagine. I'll talk more about it another time. While Cosmothea and Epic Destinies have many different game mechanics, these basics are the same and have worked well in our game sessions for a long time. Resurrection is actually a fun miracle as you can do many things with it - it works differently depending on how much magic you sink into it. Same thing with teleportation, etc.. Imagine resurrecting a hero to fight for a few more rounds before he drops dead again because you used such a weak version of the miracle!

Okay, I'd better head off to bed before I keel over. Long day! Cheers!!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Mon May 01, 2017 2:20 pm

Be sure to check out our new blog post on Toonaria and Epic Destinies, if you haven't!

Subscribe to the blog to be sure not to miss anything. I post 'em once per week (barring emergencies).

Speaking of subscribing, subscribe to our newsletter for insider information, occasional giveaways and deals not even found on these forums. Oh, and also to get a cool, free ebook: The Train Less Traveled has an epic storyline plus uber advanced technology and magic like you've never seen them before!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Thu May 04, 2017 11:55 pm

I like to back games on Kickstarter when I can. Unfortunately, as I'm not rich, I often can't afford the game (at least if it is a minis-heavy board game, and a lot of them are.) So, I end up giving money and often don't really get anything in return. That got me thinking. When I start to sell some of my many game designs, I want to make the games affordable to those with little money. I can only make it so inexpensive as I have to cover the costs, of course. But here's what I have in mind for our board games, starting with Freeze Or Burn:

• Regular flat version (flat board with less expensive components)
• Deluxe version with minis and other nicer quality components
• RPG adventure version with 2-sided battle map instead of a traditional game board. This one is designed to cater to those who only want to play the rpg version of the game (yes, the plan is to have a special version just for the tabletop rpg

The version with the minis would cost a good chunk (no version is cheap), so I'll probably have to do a Kickstarter and make the 3D version a Stretch Goal. But that's down the road a ways.
Bob Whitely
Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Epic Destinies RPG