Destiny Deck Tracker

We have an ongoing Cosmothea Play-by-Post playtest going and you are also welcome to start an adventure of your own!

Destiny Deck Tracker

Unread postby Gicker » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:06 am

Bob, would you see any value in me putting together a 'quick and dirty' destiny deck tracker? It wouldn't be very impressive from a design point of view (though that could be improved upon over time). It would basically just be functional. I could password protect the page. It would just list the cards in the destiny deck and have one check box beside it for each card of that type in your deck, as well as a number beside it indicating the number of cards in the deck.

We'd also have a reset button for each card type, as well as one that resets all cards, and another that resets all of your boons. We'd have the boons tracked as well. It'd take me a few hours of work I think, and I'd probably have to do it over a couple of weekends, but I'd be happy to do it if you see value in it.

Cheers,

Steve
QT-Games Cosmothea Campaigns
Secrets of Cathor: Cinder OOC Thread IC Thread 3

"Adam fell that men might be, and men are, that they might have joy", Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 2:25
Gicker
Mithril Adept

Re: Destiny Deck Tracker

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:15 am

Oh, that does sound very cool, Steve! I don't want you to spend time that is tight already, however. If you feel like it is something you would enjoy doing and wouldn't stress yourself over when it's finished, then yeah, sounds great! And I appreciate your time and enthusiasm. You're amazing! But then I knew that!!

Let me think on it this morning and email you about it, okay? Thanks, Steve!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Note:: Lord of Toonaria, Guardian of the Cosmoverse

Unread postby Gicker » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:54 am

Ok I will dig into then when I have some free time. I'm not doing much programming these days at work, so it's something to scratch at that creative programming itch I have. It shouldn't take much to get it functional. We can make it pretty later if it's something that works out.

Cheers,

Steve

"Adam fell that men might be, and men are, that they might have joy", Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 2:25
Gicker
Mithril Adept

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Tue May 10, 2016 9:45 am

Hiya Steve,

Any word on the Destiny Tracker? You still slammed? I hope to get our next adventure running shortly. Jon is going to be making a character this week, I think. I need to check with him. I've been busy too, but we all need our gaming time to stay sane! Either way we'll get rolling again soon.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Gicker » Tue May 10, 2016 9:57 am

Yeah I can get working on that again. Can you let me know the additional functionality you'd like to see? Don't hold back, go ahead and post a wish list. I'll prioritize the list in terms of how important it is to overall functionality as well as time to develop. Feel free to suggest your own ideas for priority as well.

It's currently located at http://destinydeck.gicker.ca/

Cheers,

Steve

Gicker
Mithril Adept

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Tue May 10, 2016 1:50 pm

Oh? Yay! And it's not even my birthday quite yet!

I'll try not to be too unreasonable, but since I don't know what is more time-consuming than something else, I'll have to leave it up to you to keep me in line. ;)
I sure do appreciate your time!!!

Looks like you've made really good progress on it. :D

Comments:
1. Reset Button (High priority)
There are actually two different timed events:
a. Destiny Deck (Removing all checkmarks): Players can use that Reset button at the start of an encounter. Nothing else needs to be reset. This is the important one to do sooner. The other is more complicated.

b. Milestones (Lowering DP Status by 5 points (Minimum 0) as a reward for gaining a Milestone. If possible, the DP Status should only be able to go up until the GM unlocks the down state at a Milestone or gives the reward himself—or gives a -1 DP reward for a different reason, like good roleplaying, good player participation.
Notes: Milestones are rewarded every half level. (So, twice per level.) Players can work the Destiny Tracker themselves, though of course that makes cheating and accidents easier. I'm not worried about you guys, of course. But ideally, the player wouldn't be able to every touch their Multiple or Destiny Threshold without GM intervention after character creation. They can increase their DP Status as they use Destiny Points, but not decrease it on their own.

So, the highest priority here would be making Reset only affect the Destiny Deck.

2. Lower Priority:Related to point b above, if possible, I'd like Thresh Multiple to be something the player doesn't touch or calculate. Every time the player's DP Status is a multiple of their Destiny Threshold, the Thresh Multiple automatically lists the multiple. i.e. if their Destiny Threshold was 5 and their DP Status was 5, the Multiple would automatically show a 1. If 10-14, it would say Multiple: 2. When they reached 15 in Destiny Threshold, it would show: 3, etc. Doable? Multiple merely reminds the player how much danger they are getting themselves into by spending too many DPs. This Multiple and passing one's threshold shows up in other parts of the game as well, such as the magic system.

Wish List (New stuff)
1. Magic Tracker (tracking use of magic for spellcasting, similar to how the Destiny Tracker works.

2. GM Admin Section, with the ability to review character sheets, unlock/modify things. For example:
Gm presses a Milestone button beside player's name and their DP Status goes down by 5, or it unlocks the Milestone button so that players can change their DP Status, increase their Destiny Threshold if it goes up (rarely).

3. Might require a Kickstarter to pay for it:
Character Builder:
Taking a character sheet I make and making it fillable and interconnected, tied to a Database so character sheets can be updated and stored online or printed. So, there is interconnectivity with any online tools such as the Destiny Tracker/Deck that might have been created over time. This is essentially a Character Builder and GM tools, which I realize is a big deal. Maybe one of these days Cosmothea will have enough fans that I can run a Kickstarter to pay for a full blown Character Builder. Costs?? Would designing it to work with an existing online Character Creator be better or is it necessary to design one from scratch?

Not sure if smaller things like the Destiny Tracker/Deck can be tied into a database now with Admin section for later expansion into a full blown Character Builder without a headache, but I'd hate to see anyone have to start over from scratch to do a Character Builder later. Or maybe that would be the way to go?? Any way an early foundation could be laid for something bigger like this to come down the road, Steve? i.e. one place with everything connected (even if we don't have much to connect yet? So, small things like this work, even if bigger things aren't tacked on later, but at least it's possible to tack on other tools later? Let me know. I'll stop here before I get myself in more trouble. :o No worries and no pressure.

Thanks, Steve!!! :D
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Wed May 11, 2016 11:03 am

Guess you already have some kind of GM Admin section as you have a campaign ID set up, so I just haven't seen the interface yet.

Something that I feel is important is long-term viability of the project. If there was ever a time when you had to set it aside for good or bring in a second coding guru, would you be able to provide any documentation. Would they be able to pick up where you left off?

Ultimately, I don't expect you to do much charity work, Steve. I'd need to eventually stop and just enjoy whatever GM and player tools are in place or start finding money to pay you. We don't have a big enough fan base for that yet.

I can't just start a Kickstarter for it, sadly. We were lucky to get the last one to fund. I am actively working toward increasing the fan base, but it takes time. Right now we'll just keep things small, but expandability is important. I know the groundwork has to be laid early on for certain functionality, even if that functionality isn't currently needed, but I'm no expert on the topic.

I think having solid tools is going to help push the game forward. We might be able to use some existing tools with tweaks (though I don't know how to do those tweaks) through existing software like HeroLab or some other one. Not sure if that allows one to incorporate things like the Destiny Tracker, a Magic Tracker, etc. though. Thoughts? Thanks!!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Gicker » Wed May 11, 2016 11:11 am

Hi Bob,

There's no need to worry at all about paying me. I do and have done a lot of programming for my hobbies over many years and never received a dime for it. I only think you need to worry about money (whether me or someone else) if you need something done quickly and by a hard deadline.

You actually have brought up a good point about Hero Lab. I own it myself, and can look into how to set up a character builder for it, once you have the final v5 rules ironed out.

The destiny deck tracker are pretty close to done. I just need to make a better interface for users and admins to be able to log into and manage their decks/campaigns.

The magic template is something I'd be happy to do as well when the destiny deck is done.

As far as passing the torch goes, I can try to write up some documentation, but any experienced php/mysql coder out there should be able to pick up where I left off easily enough, should that come to pass.

Cheers!

Steve

Gicker
Mithril Adept

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Wed May 11, 2016 11:57 am

Thanks for your thoughts, Steve, and for your willingness to help out and make fun tools for Cosmothea. That's awesome my friend!!!

As I'm running a publishing business and supposedly might actually make some money one day on Cosmothea if it becomes popular enough to run a Kickstarter on it, then comes out of the realm of being a hobby only and I would want to pay you for future work at least, and might start needing deadlines and such, to appease a growing fan base. That's quite a ways off at this point and the last thing I want is to put any stress on you.

And I definitely don't have all of the v5 rules ironed out yet. I'm trying not to give you anything that would conceivably be changed. As such, I'm not in a hurry for a host of tools regardless. Whatever you think is best regarding documentation.

Take care my friend and talk with you soon!
Bob
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Gicker » Wed May 11, 2016 1:30 pm

Sounds good. Regarding the character generator, I can at least look into the documentation of how such a thing would work. For now though I'll try to focus on getting the destiny deck tracker up and functionally complete.

Gicker
Mithril Adept

Next

Return to Play-By-Post