Epic Destinies

This is the spot to find the latest NEWS on QT Games and about opportunities to get involved. For specific news on Toonaria or Epic Destinies, check out the Insider's Forum!

Re: Epic Destinies Roleplaying Game

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:10 pm

Like Toonaria, Freeze or Burn is very light-hearted. Death isn't really a thing. It can happen, but you are more likely to get defeated and get consequences, than to actually die in Epic Destinies. This doesn't mean things won't get intense at times. It just means we handle such things differently than traditional rpgs.

Under the hood there are some deeper concepts - many of which I'm super excited about, but it's all played out in a very light, fun manner. I would love, love to write a book on Toonaria. I've already written some fiction on it, but that was many years ago, and the setting just keeps getting better and better as we explore, refine and expand, then refine some more.

Toonaria is all about light and dark, day and night, pink and red (long, super exciting story, there and really, it goes way deeper than that), and I've managed (I think) to smoothly integrate the major concepts into Not just Epic Destinies, but Freeze or Burn itself, without bogging things down from the looks of it.

I recently sped the board game up quite a bit by streamlining some mechanics that felt perfect for the rpg, but a bit much for a board game, hence the split. So, we'll do the rpg second. No big. It will mean the cards are simpler and only usable in the board game. I'm not crazy about that bit, but it was for the best. The card set for the rpg will have additional info on them to accommodate a more meaty, long-term experience for those that want it. Even so, all of the rules are compatible.

About the whole day/night, pink/red thing (and it's actually Redd, not red, for reasons that will be revealed in due time) . . . the plan is to have 2 major story arcs in the game - one that takes place during the day, as outlined in The Pink Book, and the scarier night time arc detailed in The Redd Book. These are books of encounters and setting details, and will take the longest to complete. As of today, all of the core rules are completely done. Most of the game is playable, save for not having all the cards fully fleshed out, formatted and printed out yet. Those will take a good amount of time. Without at least one of those 2 encounter books, you can only playtest so much. (I mentioned earlier I'll be playtesting combat soon.)

Both books have some material already, but will need a lot more for a more thorough playtest. Smaller playtests will be possible with a handful of encounters, of course. We have part of the expansions sorted out and even partially done, but we're in no hurry for those- things could change before then, after all.

Lots of work left, but it's all very promising and exciting! That's all for today. Cheers!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Note:: Lord of Toonaria, Guardian of the Cosmoverse

Re: Epic Destinies Roleplaying Game

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:21 pm

Another update!

The two heavy hitters in the Freeze or Burn board game are Team Freeze and Team Burn. In a 4-player game, two players team up and run 2 heroes each. In a 2-player game, each player runs a whole team, including lil minions that have various jobs from gopher to groupie to miner. Oh, we'll do minis for the teams, if we can get there, otherwise cardboard stand ups. The minions don't need to be represented on the board (keeps the clutter down.)

As for the make up of the main teams, there are 5 races (species, actually), and 4 hero themes (combat, magic, machines and exploration. I have all of the race cards designed and printed out. I'm working on the theme cards now. Designing a good card is actually quite challenging, but I'm loving how they're turning out thus far, and have a rough for the board itself. (Nothing's final. I'll worry about making things beautiful later, but so far so good - I took the design work further than I needed to, but was having fun! It's hard work, too, of course. Very hard.)

All the core rules are done, but there are tons of card descriptions and stats that need to be edited. Lots left to do on the game, but I'll start playtesting before it's all done, as I don't need to playtest everything at once at this point in the game.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Re: Epic Destinies

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:22 pm

Happy Wednesday!

I know, it's quiet around here. I've been so busy developing our game that I haven't made much of an effort to cultivate discussions, PbPs or anything else around here for awhile now. I'm very hard at work developing Freeze or Burn. Currently, I'm working on some card designs for the game. The board game uses a lot of cards for building characters, powers, talents, treasure and such. It beats having to look things up in the rule book, and should work out nicely.

I have a draft of the rulebook, a bunch of new critter concepts taken from my Toonaria Campaign Setting that I've been revisiting and fleshing out some more, and loads of other goodies for the game. I even ordered some components online for use in playtesting. Still much to do, and since it's not my day job, it does take longer. Even so, I feel good about how I'm spending my time and am itching to sit down and begin some early playtesting. Well, have a great week, all, and as always, I'm more than happy to talk with you about our upcoming fiction and games, and all things blended-genre. Cheers!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:51 pm

One thing that separates the games I make from your average board or card game is the setting. I always put a wealth of backstory into each game. Freeze or Burn, for example, is set in the Toonaria Campaign Setting. Like my first game, Minotaur Madness, Freeze or Burn features dozens of creatures and numerous storylines and concepts, which help create a rich, hopefully exciting adventure players can live out. It also means that the characters and situations are full of personality and depth, even if a little less than serious.

The Cosmoverse is my super serious campaign setting. Toonaria is much more light-hearted. It's still deep in many ways, and has some really cool, gritty and complex things happening under the hood, but yeah, on the surface it's much easier going. I think it's those extremes in Toonaria that draws me to it like a moth to the flame. I've always loved the universe and cute critters, but you can have 2 people standing side by side in any given region in the universe and see very different things.

Here's a good blog post on what Toonaria is!

Here's a couple quicky excerpts, but if you haven't read the blog, I highly recommend it. Oh, sure, it's not as official due to the publishing dates (the game and setting are being continually refined, so things will change until we publish the actual products.) So, even though the blog isn't quite as recent, a large chunk of it is dead on and very informative . . .

"Toonaria is a realm of epic magic, advanced technology, superheroes, skyships, fallen gods, secret agendas, secret societies, adorable, but dangerous monsters, towering kaiju, sky pirates, and much, much more."

Think Alice in Wonderland, Matrix, Wizard of Oz, Incredibles, Pokemon, Godzilla,
The Truman Show, and Lord of the Rings all rolled into one.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:15 am

Happy Monday!

This weekend I worked some on the Hero Docks, placards where you put your cards. The docks are themed for the player's chosen element and include areas to track your minions (they help you gather resources, fetch things, etc.) and to track health and other goodies not on the cards.

I also worked on some more of the theme cards and finalized the game's economy (at least until it's reviewed during playtesting.

On an unrelated note, I also took some time out to go to the movies with my family. We saw the latest Jurassic World movie (loads of fun.)

Well, have a great day, all, and let's chat when you get a chance. You can either join one of my discussions or start one of your own, so long as it has to do with blended-genre games, fiction, movies, comics, art, etc. Cheers!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Previous

Return to Announcements