Freeze Or Burn Board Game

This is the spot to find the latest NEWS on QT Games and about opportunities to get involved. For specific news on Toonaria or Epic Destinies, check out the Insider's Forum!

Freeze Or Burn Board Game

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:56 pm

This is the new home for updates on my design work on this cool new board game (well, new to you. I actually designed the game back around 1980 or thereabouts. Freeze Or Burn is a complete revamp set in our Toonaria Campaign Setting and based on our Epic Destinies Roleplaying Game. More to come!

Welcome to Freeze Or Burn!

Freeze Or Burn is a volcano adventure game for 2-5 players. It includes worker placement and drafting elements. If played with some of the expansions, it would include many RPG elements as well.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Note:: Lord of Toonaria, Guardian of the Cosmoverse

Re: Freeze Or Burn Board Game

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:47 pm

I recently mentioned (somewhere on this site- the previous thread on Epic Destinies, perhaps?) that I completely redesigned (again) the game board.

I LOVED the previous game board, but I had some concerns regarding table space and movement, and decided ultimately to revisit the game board. After some more brainstorming, I thought up a completely new way to represent the game board that should work very well, save on table space and probably even align a bit better with the feel of the game, or at least be simpler to play on due to the new way I'll be handling combat.

I've also just brought on board another artist, and may bring on board 1 more. Now, to be clear, this early in the game design, I don't need finished art, but art takes a lot of time, and there's something to be said for clarity. The game uses a lot of creatures and situations that aren't easy to visualize (there's no humans in the game.) The plan is for me to do the bulk of the art for now (I'm a pro illustrator, after all, but am short on time). I'll get some others to help me some and then wait on all the rest of the art chores till much later.

This isn't my first rodeo - I've designed dozens of games, but I'm all in on this one and believe it has much potential. So, I'll be spending a great deal of time on it to get it right, and more than a little playtesting.

More on the game soon. Have a great weekend, all!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:25 am

I made some nice refinements to the game board this weekend, improving clarity and appearance. I'm not worrying about making it super pretty yet. Some playtesting needs to come first.

The map displays both the lands of the Ice Lords and the Lands of the Fire Lords with the volcano, Mount Gloom, in the center. Heroes explore the volcano and surrounding regions in their search for the tools and treasure they need to survive and gain control of the volcano.

Obviously, while I share all of these posts with you guys you'll want to bear in mind that the game is still under heavy development, so some things will change as I playtest, revise, polish, and review again and again to make it a great game.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:17 pm

One of the cool bits in the game is that every encounter includes at least one decision - not like should I whack the guy on the head with my hammer, cast a spell or use a talent, though those are options. I'm talking about decisions like, "Do you help the critter who fell into the well, steal his stuff sitting beside the well, feed 'm or some other third thing?" This is a major feature in Freeze Or Burn. Oh, sure, the primary focus is on controlling the volcano's temperature, but there are stories running through the game and plenty of fun things to do in and around the volcano.

After all, one of the points of making the game (remaking it, actually, since this is a very old game of mine that I am completely revamping) is to reveal parts of the Toonaria Campaign Setting, which I hope to release my rpg (Epic Destinies) to run adventures in one day!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:21 pm

Updated a couple posts above with more info. So, quick question . . .

Do you like light-hearted adventure games? Would you play a game in which you build heroes, go off on a grand quest in which anything can happen, and the stakes are high . . . but the theme doesn't take itself too seriously? Know anyone who does? Please share this site with them. We've got a lot of fun projects in the works (and more fiction for the Cosmoverse, too!)

I'd love to hear from you! Tell me what you think. Thanks!!!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:31 pm

If there is interest, we'll make a solo version of the game as it lends itself well to that in many ways.

Currently, the game will support 2-6 players. Playing time? Not sure yet. 1.5-2 hours seems reasonable for this type of game. I'll be looking for ways to keep the time down, and am always keeping an eye on ways to keep the rules smooth and the play flowing without being overly complex. Time will tell, but I am not aiming for a drawn out game. That said, there will be expansions if all goes well, that would enable longer play with special quests and character advancement, among other things. This game has a huge amount of replayability, which is why I said it could support longer play, if desired.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:44 pm

Fortunately, I have 3 ways to win that are easy to wrap your head around, and a number of methods that bring the game to a close naturally, and should be able to tweak them without too much effort to keep the time down. If all goes well, the players can even decide up front whether to use some of them or to what degree, to ensure ending within a time frame that is pleasing to them. Again, time will tell, but that's the goal.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:10 pm

So, there are a lot of decisions that go into making a game. I've concepted dozens of game mechanics and considered them carefully, made changes, tossed more than a few, designed some more, and am now pretty happy with them. Of course numerous changes during early playtesting is common in game design, so time will tell how many of them will stick. My assistant game designer, Haven, has been invaluable in helping keep things streamlined and telling me what he thinks. He doesn't pull any punches, so it's good to have someone to bounce ideas off of who will tell it to me straight. He's also very creative and has helped develop some of the creatures over the years, so we are very much in sync when it comes to all things Toonaria.

Despite the many hours of hard work, I'm excited and am forging ahead. This weekend, I'll be working more on the types of events the heroes will face on their journey as well as fleshing out some of the talents and gear and making cards for them. Well, I'll see how far I get!

More to come. Have a great weekend, all!
Bob
P.s. Questions? I'm all ears!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:49 am

Update:
So, it was a very productive weekend, but I did not work on any of the things I had planned. That's okay. What I did work on proved very fruitful. Haven and I streamlined an important mechanic regarding changing the volcano's temperature and revamped the minion system, integrating it more tightly and more interestingly. More on all that next chance I get. Cheers!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:10 am

So, what do minions actually do?
Grimmits serve the Ice Lords by gathering water from surrounding regions, which is used as fuel for their ancient Freezer. Some minions also mine for both arcane and sometimes psycho shards to power the Freezer.

Likewise, snijits serve as minions to the Fire Lords, providing wood from nearby forests and mine for arcane and psycho shards to enable their lord's Burner to function.

The Freezer and Burner are great machines created long ago for a great war between the two kingdoms. When the war ended, those machines were left behind, forgotten amid the chaos. Spew, the Magma king attempted to destroy the machines, but found the artifacts impervious to harm without certain magic items he did not possess. Though he sent out spies, he could not locate the items needed to destroy the machines. Once again, the elemental machines have been called upon to help dominate Mount Gloom for the glory of one of the elemental empires.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Next

Return to Announcements