Freeze Or Burn Board Game

This is the spot to find the latest NEWS on QT Games and about opportunities to get involved. For specific news on Toonaria or Epic Destinies, check out the Insider's Forum!

Re: Freeze Or Burn Board Game

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:57 pm

A bit more on the minions . . .
I didn't want those little critters getting into combat. For one, it slows the game down, but I also didn't feel it was heroic. Here you've got little gophers and miners just trying to do their jobs. They don't need to be fighting warriors and mages and such. They just need to keep doing what they are doing. At the same time, I wanted tighter integration with what the heroes were doing.

A hero wouldn't carry a pile of wood or pail of water, but they might harass or delay minions a little. I wanted the minions easy to distract, so now if a hero enters a space with minions, those minions become distracted and don't end up hauling away as much goodies as they would otherwise. They are the supply chain, after all, so the heroes can't completely ignore them. We'll see how it works out in playtesting, but it shows promise. And the rules are cleaner now for handling them.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Note:: Lord of Toonaria, Guardian of the Cosmoverse

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:36 am

Hi, all!

Quick update. I had to spend a good amount of time working on my Sea of Worms manuscript so that I can get it back into the hands of the editor. As for Freeze or Burn (FOB), making really good progress.

Over the weekend I made some refinements to the great, ancient machines the heroes will use to help conquer the volcano. I also created some encounters (there will be a book of events/encounters with loads of fun challenges and experiences for the heroes.

Haven and I also reviewed the game board design, some of the hero mechanics and game flow. Further, I completed a concept sketch with valuable advice from Haven for a scene we're creating to introduce the game, and give a sense for the game's tone and look. We have a couple artists lined up to do some of the art chores down the road, and both Haven and I are pro artists, so we'll also tackle part of it ourselves. As we need to focus mostly on game design (if we want to see this game get done faster), we'll need to bring others on board, which we've already initiated.

All in all, a very productive weekend!

Updated 9:38 am same day PST.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:40 am

Happy Wednesday!

I've nearly completed revisions on my blended-genre fiction project: Sea of Worms, so I'll be jumping back into Freeze Or Burn with both feet in the next couple of days. Well, in truth, I work on FOB at least a little 7 days a week, but I'll be picking up the pace again this week.

I created some encounters-- brainstorming mostly, but I'll flesh them out shortly. In FOB, there is an Ice Deck for encounters in the frozen land of the Ice Lords, a Fire Deck for--you guessed it, the realm of the Fire Lords, and a Volcano Deck that will cover encounters in the mostly ruined wasteland in the center of the board. Think of the board as a map, because that's basically what it is. But these aren't just simple flip over a card and fight a monster type encounters.

Most of the encounters (or events) in the game involve interaction and decisions, not all of which include monsters or combat. Lots of interesting and fun things can happen. There are buried machines of unknown origin and function, the greedy Junk Barons, lost gubbies, a bizarre where you can buy and sell, powerful beings in disguise and other interesting bits.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Previous

Return to Announcements