Design Contest!

Looking for an event or contest to sink your teeth into? This is the place!

Re: Design Contest!

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:25 pm

Thanks, Pippa and Than. I appreciate your input. :D

Anyone else want in on doing something fun?
Bob Whitely
Admin

Note:: Lord of Toonaria, Guardian of the Cosmoverse

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:43 am

Hm ... unfortunately, it doesn't look like there's enough interest or realization that this contest exists, for us to consider moving forward at this time. We'll hold off awhile.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:30 pm

I've figured out what the contest is going to be about though! I'll keep it a secret until we decide it's the right time to roll with the contest, and some show interest, and when I do announce the contest, I'll post it on a few sites, add it to my Facebook page - which so far not one person has commented on the wall there :(
and I'll twitter it and then we'll see how many join in! Maybe we'll do it next month sometime. Should be fun though, and something that lots of people could do without knowing zip about Cosmothea! :D
Bob Whitely
Admin

Re: NEW GAME DESIGN CONTEST! It's On!

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:44 am

Welcome to our Planet Design Contest!

Why a "Planet Design" Contest?
Down the road a ways, we'll be putting together the "Worlds of Cosmothea" sourcebook, and since the setting is huge, and we can always use a few more worlds, I thought it would be fun to open the doors and give the community a chance to get a prize and maybe get published to boot (with credit, of course).

You don't have to know anything about Cosmothea to enter, and even if you don't win, if your entry is really good, it just might get published anyway, and we'll also have a raffle for qualifying entries, so either way, you've got nothing to lose!

HOW TO ENTER:
This contest will be held on 3 websites (RPGLife, RPGnet and here at QT Games), but don't worry, we'll have 1 winner per website, plus the raffle! You can only enter 1 world per website, but you can enter up to 1 different world on each site if you want (so you can enter up to 3 times, once per site).

DEADLINE:
You have until Feb 20th 11:59 pm PST to design a planet according to the rules, and post it in this thread (or at one of the other 2 sites). Entries submitted after that time will not be entered into the contest, but may still be considered for publication.

HOW DO I WIN?
There are 2 ways … get the most votes for your planet design or win the raffle.

WHAT DO I WIN?
Round 1 Winners: $10.00 Amazon Gift Card* each
Round 2 Winner: $20 Amazon Gift Card* (in addition to Round 1 prize)
*Winners must provide their full names and email address (for emailing their gift cards).

Raffle:
As long as you post a qualified entry, you'll be entered into the tri-forum raffle. We'll randomly determine a winner of the raffle from the 3 participating sites at the end of the contest, to win a $5 Amazon gift card. It's not much, I know, but it is something. If you want more, design a killer world and win the contest!

Vote by Community:
After the deadline, we'll let the posters at each forum vote for the best planet design posted at their forum, and award a prize to the winner of each forum. That's Round 1. Then the winners at each forum will be allowed to enter Round 2 for a chance at a second prize. The community will also vote for the winner of Round 2. In the event of a tie on either round, QT Games reserves the right to determine the winner of the round.

PLANET DESIGN CRITERIA:
• Minimum 150 words; maximum 1500 words

• Planet Name and Type (Terrestrial, gaseous, ice-covered, etc.)

• Highlights (An overview; if your world was listed in a travel brochure, Explorer's diary, Imperium log of Quarantined planets, etc., What would be the highlights describing what makes it so notable?)

• Detailed description of the world ... terrain, unique ecological, technological, magical, weather or other elements or issues present.

• It should go without saying, but original entries only. If you didn’t design it and don’t have the right to submit it, don’t - it will disqualify you!

Suggestions for additional content:
• How did the world get to be the way it is (i.e. galactic wars, arcane disaster, super villain went out of control, issues with planetary core, dimensional accident, etc.)

• Life on the planet: What sorts of creatures, if any, live there? If it has a harsh atmosphere, how do the creatures survive? Provide an overview of sentient species worth noting as well as notable non-sentient species.
___________________________________________________________________________________________
And the Winner Is …
Round 1:
After the contest deadline, we'll give each website 1 week to judge the entries, then tally up the totals, and post the results within 24 hours on each of the sites. Any vote that goes in after the deadline will not be counted. Those that win Round 1 will get a chance at a second prize.

Round 2:
The winning entries of Round 1 will be allowed to make revisions to their entries and resubmit, this time at all 3 sites, but they must do so within 48 hours of the winning announcement being posted on their site. If their entry is not revised, it does not need to be reposted at the same site, but it can be posted to the other 2 sites.

It is to the advantage of the Round 1 winners to post their revised entry at each of the 3 sites. If a Round 1 winner doesn't post at all 3 sites by the 48 hour deadline, that entry will only be allowed to gain votes from the site(s) where it was posted by the deadline. If it wasn't posted anywhere for Round 2, then that winner gains only the prize for Round 1.

The community will be given 1 week to vote for the posted entry of their choice. The votes from all 3 websites will be tallied and a Round 2 finalist will be announced within 48 hours of the deadline, with the prizes sent out shortly after that (including the raffle prize).
___________________________________________________________________________________________
Can I submit my Homebrew setting idea?
Feel free to submit the name and idea for your original homebrew world according to the rules above, if you designed it, and you just might see it on a Cosmothea star map one day and in the world book! By necessity, all entries become the property of QT Games; therefore if you don't want us to publish it, don't submit it! Instead, submit a cool new idea you have. We're not asking for a fully fleshed out world, and we know you guys are creative, so have fun. The better your entry, the better your odds of winning.

May I change an entry once submitted?
Once you post your submission, you may edit it for typos and minor grammar issues only. If you post at least 24 hours before the deadline that you forgot something that will result in you being disqualified, it is OK to post an Amendment in the same post, (as long as the forum allows it – we can't be held responsible for forum posting issues). Or you can post your Amendment in a new post – either way type "Amendment" and the reason you edited your entry. We are not obligated to inform you as to the status of your submission. Please make sure you read all the rules and turn in only your best work to maximize your odds of winning!

Legal Jargon and Clarifications:
Click:

What Next?
Would you like to win a prize? See your world published? Are you just bored and looking for something fun to do? If so, then design a new world according to the rules above and submit it in this thread!

Feel free to post contest questions in this thread. Thanks, and good luck!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Re: NEW GAME DESIGN CONTEST!

Unread postby nightwing » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:57 pm

OBSIDIAN PRIME

INFO
Click:

CHART
Click:
nightwing
Ascended

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:10 pm

Nice job, Nightwing! :D
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:49 am

Someone else post a planet! This is neither a hard, nor time-devouring contest! There's prizes even! Spread the word. Invite your friends, there's no reason a cool contest like this should be so quite!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Than » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:20 am

Have you advertised the competition on the really big forums like www.enworld.org ?

Maybe you need to advertise it on all the forums you can find. Perhaps then you should change it to offer just one prize, rather than one per site, and perhaps that one prize just 10 dollars or less...
Also know in other places as: Jason S, Commander Bo, Silverwolf. I am British and Swiss but working in the Czech Republic. I create Art and Software.
Than
Gold Adept

Unread postby Than » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:28 am

Oh I should say there is some bods designing planet ideas on my site, they have been for a long time now, I had put my idea there some months ago, but i've removed it from there now to avoid possible future problems should you wish to use the idea.

Perhaps you could PM the guys there to see if they want to submit any of there ideas...
Go to my site www.pbpmap.com and PM: "Pen'n'paper remnant" and "Mortarios" should you wish to ask them to take part.
Also know in other places as: Jason S, Commander Bo, Silverwolf. I am British and Swiss but working in the Czech Republic. I create Art and Software.
Than
Gold Adept

Unread postby Pippa » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:30 am

All my good ideas are in that thread we had a while back *sob*...

Nah I just haven't gotten around to try and think of one... busy busy busy!
...Effectively putting the 'cutie' in 'QT-Games'...!
Pippa
Eternal! Forum Guide! Caption Contest Winner!

PreviousNext

Return to Events & Contests