Design Contest!

Looking for an event or contest to sink your teeth into? This is the place!

Re: NEW GAME DESIGN CONTEST!

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:04 pm

Than wrote:Have you advertised the competition on the really big forums like http://www.enworld.org ?

Maybe you need to advertise it on all the forums you can find. Perhaps then you should change it to offer just one prize, rather than one per site, and perhaps that one prize just 10 dollars or less...

Thanks for your thoughts. No, I didn't advertise at ENWorld, but I hoped that advertising on 3 websites and offering up to 5 prizes like I'm doing would be plenty, especially for a contest that's not really very hard. I've never tried real hard at ENWorld, but that's partially because I don't tend to get feedback/participation there. I posted a few blogs there and never got anyone commenting or contacting me. Also, they don't support game companies like they used to (there are no good game designer/company forums there like there used to be). I do like ENWorld a lot, however. I'll check it out, but I don't like to go to websites to just post a self-serving ad, unless they have a thread for it (like the other 2 websites I posted at do). That's too much like spamming, even though I know they'd have a blast doing it. I only post QT Games-related stuff at other sites when there's a specific thread to do so.

Hopefully I won't have to change the contest as drastically as that, Than, maybe just extend the deadline while I try to reach more people.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Note:: Lord of Toonaria, Guardian of the Cosmoverse

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:05 pm

Than wrote:Oh I should say there is some bods designing planet ideas on my site, they have been for a long time now, I had put my idea there some months ago, but i've removed it from there now to avoid possible future problems should you wish to use the idea.

Perhaps you could PM the guys there to see if they want to submit any of there ideas...
Go to my site http://www.pbpmap.com and PM: "Pen'n'paper remnant" and "Mortarios" should you wish to ask them to take part.

I appreciate your thinking of me, Jason. That's very cool. And yes, I'll contact them and see if they want to do a fun contest!

Hi Pippa,

Sorry about that, I wouldn't have started up that brainstorm thread for planets awhile back if I'd planned on doing a contest for it! It's just that the more I thought about it, the more I saw a book just on worlds as the best way to go to cover more ground.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Than » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:16 pm

I've done a post on my site telling all there about it too.
Also know in other places as: Jason S, Commander Bo, Silverwolf. I am British and Swiss but working in the Czech Republic. I create Art and Software.
Than
Gold Adept

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:21 pm

Thanks, Jason. I'm sure this is going to be a really fun contest. I'd love to enter myself, but I can't do that. I think once the word manages to get out in a big way, people will see this isn't one to pass up!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Mortarios » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:32 am

Saskaan

If you ask any Navigator about Saskaan, he will curse the name and call it a trap. Although this relatively small planet circles its Huge Blue Sun in the zone that supports life and its evolution perfectly and is home to a huge number of creatures, no satellite or Spacecraft circles its orbit. Quite contrary, crashed ships of many types are a common sight on Saskaan. The explanation is as simple as fatal. Saskaan's Sun is a dying star. It will surely burn on for a million years, but the first signs for its coming end have already hit Saskaan's population. A new type of Radiation that disturbes and destroys ship systems has set an end to most space travel from and to Saskaan. Only a very limited number of specialized ships can travel through the Saskaan System.

Down on the surface, the mysterious radiation had only few effects, because Saskaan itself is shielded by its planetary magnetic field. The easy life there has changed only very little. Down on the wide plains with their light forests, the culture of the Farni has switched their communication system from satellites to great stationary radio transmitters that connect their megacities. Those cities are heavily guarded, with a huge social problem and great slums. A growing would be easy, the Farni could settle the landscape and therefore solve many problems. But they are prevented from it by a dominant government, religious rules and tradition ban any new settlements, because cities are limited by holy numbers. Farming and food supply are done by robots, so that the holy nature isn't touched by the "filthy" population.

Of course Saskaan has been explored by other cultures as well, their ships had crushed and they got caught. They were arrested by the Farni, many were executed, others have been imprisoned in small camps in the cities.
Of course such a rich planet with huge problems causes revolutionary tendencies. Some of the more brave Farni have allied with the "Outsiders" and founded a Rebel Force that attacks the government either from well-camouflaged military fortified positions or from terror cells in the cities. But neither the official society nor the rebels are well-working. The wild mixture of races and ideologies have forced the rebel leaders to a very strict style of leadership. Even Executions are part of a rebel's everyday life.

The Farni themselves are a humanoid race. They are about 1m 70cm tall, have a pale skin and a muscular physique. Their haircolours vary from yellow to a light red. They are intelligent and have develloped motors, computers and spaceships. In history, they discovered that their culture would sooner or later destroy their planet and so they changed their culture abruptly. Nature became holy and had to be protected fanatically, what hasn't changed until today. They have the most effective recycling industry in the whole galaxy and nearly don't use up anymore resources. Nowadays they have developped new spaceships to cross their own system, but those are few and expensive.

Hope you like Saskaan. Thumbs Up, guys!
Mortarios

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:43 pm

Pretty cool. :)
Thanks for joining in, Mortarios!
Bob Whitely
Admin

Unread postby Bob Whitely » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:19 pm

Hi all,

As participation has been very poor overall (I was actually expecting somewhere around 40 or so entries between the 3 sites for this big contest), QT Games reserves the right to cancel the contest, and unfortunately that's what we need to do here. I thought everyone would have a lot of fun doing this, but we'll postpone it for another time, perhaps when we get closer to publication.

I'm going to go ahead and give everyone who participated up until this point, a $10 Amazon gift card (or if you want one for somewhere else, let me know and I'll see what I can do). Thanks very much to those of you who dove in and I hope you had some fun! Me, I could sit around all day designing planets - I think it's a ball of fun, but I can't do everything and I figured, why not share the fun!

We'll decide later regarding inclusion in our Worlds of Cosmothea source book, and as appropriate, I might contact one or more of you for additional material, if interested. Hopefully in the days ahead we'll be able to spread the word and get more people involved in QT Games activities! So the contest is officially over.

Thanks again,
Bob

P.s. Here's Than's planet submission from over at RPG.net:

• Highlights

Planet: Thwinbella
Population: 12.3 trillion
Climate: Very cold regions and temperate regions
Industry of note: Banking and Safe Custody

You can always trust a Thwinbellan, but don't expect much of a sense of humour.
It is said that if you have your own safe room in Thwinbella for your valuables then you have really made it in the Galaxy.

• Detailed description

Thwinbella is a medium sized planet and is of a particulary cold climate but it does have large areas where the weather is largely temparate.
What is most remarkable about this planet is not it's geography or it's natural resources, as it has not an abundance of natural resources. What is most remarkable about this planet is it's population of Thwinbellan's.

Thwinbellan's are a very old humanoid race who are considered by all in the Galaxy to be absolutely the most trustworthy race. A Thwinbellan due to partly culture and partly their genetics are literally unable to be dishonest and will never knowingly break rules or procedures. This has over the centuries led to an extremely successful world banking industry. Infact Thwinbella is joked about being the galactic planet bank. A citizen of any planet could put any legal valuable, no matter how valuable in a place of deposit on the planet of Thwinbella and they could be assured that after many years they could go back and it would be presented back to them, every time without fail. They were also so sensible that it is unknown in the archives of history for a Thwinbellan bank to fail. Their security ranks top in the Galaxy and even though some have tried none have been even remotely successful in stealing anything from Thwinbella banks.

Not only do they have a huge Thwinbella planetary protection fleet and countless security police on the planet, but any would be attack would also have to deal with the many powerful groups that have money deposited there, so no one any more even bothers to try to steal from a Thwinbellan bank. Although this sounds all good Thwinbella also has the highest suicide rate umong it's populace of any other in the Galaxy. Some speculate that this is due to the suppressed ego of some desparately try to find more freedom of expression and unable to do so they eventually go crazy and take their life. This happens to one in 30 Thwinbellans and so is a major problem, although they are making some progress in new drugs to try to combat this. Thwinbellians are very suspicious of those from other worlds, although of course they are ever so polite when recieving their valuable deposits. It is due to this that a non-Thwinbellian will find it nearly impossible to obtain a visa to live and work there as visa's are only given to the most required outsiders.

There are a few non-Thwinbellians on the world but they amount to only 120,000 for a population of 12.3 trillion Thwinbellians. Thwinbellians have always opted to stay neutral in galactic politics and always are very careful to respect the secrecy of their clients deposits.
Bob Whitely
Admin

Previous

Return to Events & Contests