Toonaria is a post-apocalyptic realm of epic magic, advanced technology, skyships, fallen gods, secret agendas, secret societies, adorable, but dangerous monsters, towering kaiju, sky pirates, superheroes, and much, much more. On the surface, Toonaria probably seems like a ludicrous universe being that the heroes sometimes exhibit questionable intelligence and get into all sorts of trouble. The notion is likely further bolstered by the fact that most of its denizens are either adorable monsters or giant kaiju (as are many of the bad guys), but it’s really so, so much more than that.
Most folks in Toonaria live on Sky Arks, massive floating structures created by powerful beings. Each sky ark is made up of seven layers of floating island chains held aloft by mysterious obelisks, aethyrstone and the will of the gods and Architects. We’ll be focusing on Sky Ark Majestica. It features the following seven floating island chain layers from top to bottom: Xanadu, Elementara, Arcasia, Colossea, Storm Garden, Ever Dark and Zothmaru.
Toonaria is usually lighter in tone than the Cosmoverse, (hence the cuter art), but it has a darker underbelly, too, and surprising depth. It will appeal to both kids and adults alike.
Toonaria has lots of cool, off the beaten path concepts we are certain will resonate with many of you! One is called Pink Syndrome. Here's an audio clip about Pink Syndrome we think you'll enjoy!
Our newsletter and Facebook group have been slowly unpacking the grittier, just below the surface events going on in that seemingly happy-go-lucky universe.
For Toonaria, we wanted to focus on both smaller species, and to —ahem—a smaller degree, on much, much larger kaiju species. Both types open up an amazing number of interesting story concepts.
We have designed dozens of games set in the Toonaria universe, but we are only beginning to pursue publication. Our first Toonaria-based game heading for Kickstarter next year is Midnight Guardians. We also have in the works the Little Epics Roleplaying Game, and others lined up behind them waiting for us to find time to complete them and get them out the door.
LITTLE EPICS ROLEPLAYING GAME: Another big project we're working on his the Little Epics Roleplaying Game and Toonaria Campaign Setting books. Adventuring in Toonaria does not feel like adventuring in any other universe for many reasons we'll slowly unpack in the days ahead.
Here's an overview of the roleplaying game:
• Soul points: Invest Soul Points to boost your actions and alter story elements in your favor
• Trauma: Your rank measures how emotionally stable you are and how closely Big Brother is watching
• Talents: One mechanic covers all resolution, using custom, Harbinger 2D12s
• Classless: Build any sort of character you want by buying talents
• Levelless: Small, frequent upgrades ensures less downtime and more thoughtful tailoring
• Light and quick combat in which what your character says may be just as potent as what your weapons do
• Losing a battle in Little Epics has way more interesting consequences than death
• 4 abilities: Smarts, Charm, Might and Bouncy, and 3 Health types: Mind, Body & Soul
• Unusual and flexible Power System - Use power as often as you want, but the more you use, the more you risk; combine effects to quickly build new powers or use pre-built power cards (This is coming in a future book, not the initial release)
As for Toonaria, which will be featured in Little Epic's core release and follow up source books:
• Toonaria is a false utopia shepherded by godlike AI overseers and other powerful beings
• The war-torn realm’s mysterious past has been shielded by memory alteration and psychoses
• A magical “GodStorm” has warped reality, opening dimensional rifts, and super-sizing fruit and bugs
If you get a chance, visit Toonaria, a magical place where the moon never rises and the sun never sets. Keep an eye out on this page, as we'll be adding more content, including more art. Want to see more Toonarian goodness? Spread the word about this site and our books! Good stuff ahead!
ADVENTURES IN TOONARIA: We're also hard at work on a web comic that we also plan to release as a lightly animated cartoon and printed book! Adventures in Toonaria will feature Gubsy and his friends, the Gubby Gang and will explore the realms of Toonaria.